What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. hostaempresswu

hostaempresswu Well-Known Member

Graham Chartwell LS6 +Exposure 2010S2

little bit over 2k on the used market, hopefully it‘s still there when i have the money for it. fingers crossed :)

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Gak! Now I've got a jones for the Technics SL-1500C TT, probably will buy a premounted Ortofon Bronze cart too.

Technics: SL-1500C Turntable - Silver they offered 10% off on the combo (the Red comes with from the factory, apparently (or they're obligated (? or something) to sell the Red with as a package)). Anyway, seems like the Red with headshell might be good to have around anyway. At least use it to compare with the Bronze (which hopefully would sound much better).

I have the original Thorens headshell with my Denon DL-160 cart, the original Thorens headshell has the 'inverted' mounting. So I'd need the 'Verso' version of the Bronze if I were to just upgrade the cart, or buy a new headshell anyway ... but then noticed the carts come 'premounted' in an integral headshell thing ("PNP MK II") at about the same price as buying a new headshell with it. What the heck, I want convenience these days and am not overly worried about potentially slight drawbacks of this option.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

What do you view as the slight drawbacks?

At 20g for the PnP version, it's probably 4-5 grams heavier than the stock headshell and cartridge, which will likely push the resonance below 7Hz, though not usually a big problem, and probably a better sounding combo than the Bronze mounted to the stock headshell. I think the main issue is lack of adjustability, and how close it comes to the "correct" alignment, but maybe not much of an issue, I guess that's one of the slight drawbacks of any integrated package.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

There will be an AXPONA this (October) and I "bet" it will be ready.

5. AL01

AL01 Eh?

As of now:

A Technics SL 1200 MK I.

Hardcore likes this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I think you spelled out potential drawbacks better than I could. Just thinking that a pre-mounted cartridge might have some limitations and possibly more resonances or something. I don’t know exactly what’s under the cover so to speak maybe it’s just a cover with wires and clips underneath. But thinking/hoping it’s a more solid unified connection. I am hoping and assuming that the cartridge is set up properly for a standard S shaped 9 inch arm. I’ve got a couple of set up templates that I can check things on at least as far as overhang goes. Thinking if it’s at least close to that I’ll be happy. Since the turntable comes with a 2m red cartridge I assume that the arm height is all set up properly already for that, and the 2M bronze should just go in as a replacement with proper arm rebalancing of course and setting of tracking force.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I just bought a new couch, which I consider part of my listening experience, does it count ?:laugh:

Swann36, Echoes Myron, WvL and 10 others like this.
  8. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Drove out to Baltimore to get the Audio Technical AT-OC9XML LOMC cart mounted on my Music Hall mmf 7.3 turntable, and they had just put on the shelf their only Parasound Halo P6 stereo preamp, so I bought that too! Been difficult trying to find those. Will spend some time this weekend hooking everything up, then will share some images on the listening room pictures thread.

avanti1960 and Rick58 like this.
  9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

On the PS Audio forum Paul and other PS Audio employees have mentioned the Stellar version later in 2021 and a Perfectwave version in 2022.

10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

NICE !!! :edthumbs: :cheers:

11. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I’ve just ordered a new DAC - Denafrips Venus II - and once that’s here, that’s it for ‘21 - and, hopefully, ‘22 and onwards too…. :)

Tawaun A Williams and Swann36 like this.
  12. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate

If we’re talking 2021 that includes Christmas right?

So, Santa please get me a valve integrated amp for my KEF LS50s. My Little Dot valve headphone amp sounds lovely and makes me think that a move away from my solid-state Krell integrated might be well worthwhile.

I’ll be good Santa. Mostly. Sometimes. Well, occasionally…

Madness likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

Really; it's a bigger two-seater than the one I have now (really at the end of its lifespan the poor thing lasted 20 years, the backseat is taller, and I had it made in the highest density foam available (35kg/m3, so basically another room treatment:laugh:) Wonder what impact will cause on the sound, if any. I specifically asked the factory to make it the exact same height of my current couch, so I can have the tweeters at ear level. Arriving in 4 hs now; will post pics if anyone's interested, which I doubt:nyah:

Swann36 likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’ve had a Technics SL-1200G on order since April. Getting it set the way I’d like is my project for 2021:

KAB tone arm damper
    Upgraded headshell wiring
    Extra Technics G Headshell
    Possibly a Herbies mat.

mackat likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

Couch had to return to the factory; they made it 5 cms higher than I'd ordered. What a bunch of morons !:mad:

16. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Boo!

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="im planning on selling the Node2i and Cyrus One and buying a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 amp/streamer by the end of the year. I’m keen to try the Room Perfect software on the Lyngdorf.[/QUOTE]

I bought the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 to replace the Cyrus One. Superb little amp and the Room Perfect is a revelation.

18. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

Was not really planning to but just pulled the trigger on a PrimaLuna Evo 400 preamplifier.

I'm pretty excited for this purchase.

Currently using a rogue perserus magnum which I have enjoyed but believe this should be a step up.

19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Listening comfort can’t be underestimated. Comfort helps you relax and concentrate more fully on the music. Just make sure it’s not too comfortable or you might have the tendency to nod off.
    I have a really nice comfortable couch but tend to think a super good recliner might be the answer. As long as I don’t pass out all the time in it. Then again maybe I should just keep the couch.

20. The Pinhead

I once fell asleep during a loud metal cassette reproduction. Used to listen sitting on my bed when I was young, ended up falling asleep on my side and waking up two hours later !

21. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Me too. This room is coming together slowly, taking just as long as I thought it would take. As in all year so far, and counting. I posted into this thread much earlier in the year with the stated goal of new speakers and an audio rack - not all of those items as ordered are here yet. This couch was added to the list and ordered in the spring and is not yet here either. Stuff takes a while.

[​IMG]

22. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

A few weeks ago I ordered a Bryston 3B Cube amp. However w/the pandemic in Canada production is way behind. Don't expect shipment till September.:whistle:

23. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The wait can certainly be frustrating. It took a fair amount of time for my new system to arrive but I’m sure you’ll find it will have been worth every minute.

24. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

Will be purchasing a Classe SSP 800 processor from a friend for my main system.

Found a pair of Totem Model 1’s in maple last week that will go into my bedroom.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  25. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I bought the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 to replace the Cyrus One. Superb little amp and the Room Perfect is a revelation.[/QUOTE]

I second that regarding Room Perfect … owned the Lyngdorf RP-1 since 2008 :)

Steve356 likes this.