"Forbidden Planet" geek thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Blastproof, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member Thread Starter

I am a "Forbidden Planet" geek. That movie is such a slice of the times. It came first, in my opinion. It was not bound to any predetermined notions. The future was big. and science fiction was still in its infancy. Beyond all else, the aesthetic that this movie presents is pure 1950's design, optimism, and glory. It is big, heavy, beautiful, colorful, and loud. I love everything about it.

Here is my latest purchase: a largely articulated Robby the Robot. It puts on quite a show! Walking, talking, and a great (although maybe too bright) light display. It's stupid how good this new toy makes me feel. I'm a kid again! (I first saw it at an antiques store, and I thought to myself that it must be on the 'bay. ...Yep! Got it for a fraction of what the antique dealer wanted. Glad I looked!)

So, for all of you "FP" geeks out there, here's this. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the movie, and even on this robot.

(Here's a video)
    [​IMG]

2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I just rewatched this last week after not having seen it for many years. I remember first seeing it in my teens on TV one Sunday and I still get the same feeling of awe and wonder when I watch it now. On Letterboxd, I called it "Chesley Bonestell's The Tempest," and it's from Bonestell and other artists that this film derives its aesthetic. The script and the acting are pretty stiff, and the sexual politics are laughable now, but the backgrounds are still powerful. They suggest a larger, really fascinating world, and the Krell mystery hasn't lost any of its mystique for me.

SandAndGlass, PH416156, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  3. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I am also a geek for this wonderful film though I think it has far darker undertones than perhaps you attribute to it ROBBY is THE robot for all time. I own a couple smaller (non-moving and non lighting) replicas of him plus an original small lobby card of Robby posed with Anne Francis. Speaking of which , young Anne in a futuristic mini skirt far before their time certainly stirred monsters from my ID. Oh yeah, also have a CD of the original movie soundtrack music.

4. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

The best “Star Trek” movie ever.

5. The Krell were the coolest aliens that we never got to meet. I have my tiny Robbie The Robot and my steel box with the movie. One of the laser guns is available for auction at one of the movie auction houses.

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice @Blastproof and a great thread too! Forbidden Planet is the "Classic" Sci-Fi film and love the soundtrack too.

Though I haven't seen the model you in picture I did years ago a few smaller wind-up models.

Here's the 7ft model sold by Hammacher-Schlemmer, but better ask Santa...32k!

The Genuine 7 Foot Robby The Robot - Hammacher Schlemmer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Blastproof and beccabear67 like this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

My brother had some sort of knock-off tin with printing on the surface version of the robot for a toy circa the '60s. It could flash and buzz and stuff. Nothing like that high quality modern number but I can definitely get nostalgic about such toys! It was great to see Robby and the Lost In Space robot together on that tv show once too, they were both pretty fascinating even knowing there was a guy in there someplace. Later we had Dagget on Battlestar Galactica and Twiki on Buck Rogers every week, and all kinds of stuff around showing Star Wars droids (I remember having a jigsaw with the Jawa droid lot scene).

The soundtrack for Forbidden Planet was a landmark as were the great visual effects, plus a story with serious thoughtful themes! A classy film indeed.

Chesley Bonestell did many covers for science-fiction digests, he was the Maxfield Parrish of outer space!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I was surprised to see that Earl Holliman is still with us (at 93!). I really liked the Bourbon humour in the movie.

Jazzmonkie, Blastproof and longdist01 like this.
  9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

10. The Wanderer

11. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I got the HD-DVD special release with the robot doll and the lunch box. Of course like most Warner HD-DVDs it's no longer playable. I haven't gotten around to getting the Blu-ray because there may be a 4K version.

I always liked he part when they're wheeling around a highly radioactive nuclear core like that's no big deal.

12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Everything about the film for 1956 was remarkable. The story, the fact that MGM got completely
    behind it (unusual for science fiction back then), the cast (Walter Pidgeon, etc), obviously the remarkable
    pioneering special effects, plus the sensational soundtrack (entirely the Baron's electronic "tonalities")
    and the sensational monster from the id (animated by the Disney studios) was so far ahead of it's time
    it's affects are still felt today.
    A huge thread on the All SciFI forum on the film. Everything you would ever want to know:
    ALL SCI-FI :: View topic - Forbidden Planet (1956)
    I could go on and on, but it IS one of my all time favorite films, and now having it on Blu-ray is a
    godsend. One of the awe inspiring scenes from the film...the Krell machine.

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Also, if you are truly a "geek" about the film (as I am), a number of years ago the magazine
    "Cinefantastique" had a double issue on "Forbidden Planet". That issue is considered the Bible
    on info about the film with behind the scenes production stills and extensive text of the making
    of the film.
    Here it is in .pdf format. Plan on spending several hours going through it...
    Cinefantastique v08n02-03 (1977).pdf (the-eye.eu)

14. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I watched it recently. I like the visuals and low key (but nicely tense) vibe, which is not enhanced by the lame comedy relief.

DVDBeaver comparisons indicated to me the Blu-ray version isn’t essential. The standard DVD looks excellent when played on a Blu-ray player.

15. The Wanderer

16. Sure about that?

Forbidden Planet Blu-ray Release Date September 7, 2010

longdist01 likes this.
  17. misterjones

Check out the stills at DVDBeaver. The standard DVD and Blu-ray are quite close. The reviewer there acknowledges the similarity, though he states the Blu-ray quality comes through more noticeably when the images are in motion. If you have the (I think) “ultimate edition”, you might not need an upgrade. YMMV, as might your hardware.

longdist01 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  18. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks!

longdist01 and sixtiesstereo like this.
  19. misterjones

The improvement in the visuals may not seem as apparent in the still frame grabs below but in-motion the 1080P image quality looks acceptably impressive. There is more grain noticeable and colors and detail definitely perk-up. It is not overwhelming with a moderate bitrate using the VC-1 encode but this may also be attributed to the special effects of the time that are liberally utilized in the film from the cavernous underground labs and mechanisms to the laser guns, light shows and clunky 'Robbie'. Personally, I find the modest f/x quite endearing and it may be a big reason that I love sci-fi films from the 50's - from This Island Earth to Them! (let's get those gems to Blu-ray). Bottom line is I doubt it can look significantly better - it gave my family a wonderful presentation.

Forbidden Planet Blu-ray Anne Francis

I would add (based on discussions I've had here with others) that I suspect the benefits of Blu-ray become more pronounced with larger screens. My screen is only 42". I often have a hard time differentiating between a Blu-ray and a quality DVD transfer.

longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  20. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

The Tempest in space..

21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

With a screenplay written by Sigmund Freud.

22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Krell boys?

[​IMG]

wayneklein likes this.
  23. ‘Modest’ effects. Lol. They were cutting edge at the time so funny he said thar. I never upgraded to the Blu-Ray so can’t comment on the quality but YMMV depending on size of your screen, equipment, etc.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. If it spoke and moved,I would consider it.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. I always assumed Morbius willed the Tiger into existence subconsciously and the machine controlled it knowing what Morbius‘ Will was. It tried to attack and kill the Captain for that precise reason because it was doing what his Id wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.