KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I think Gene's record is unfairly maligned.

No, it doesn't sound like Black Sabbath......but when did Gene....or KISS EVER sound like that?!?!

For the most part, the songwriting is really really good....in my estimation.

It's the sound that Gene ALWAYS defaulted to. Old time rock n' roll, Slade, Beatles (Gene was DEFINITLY a Beatles fan.) and some "over the top" camp....nothing wrong with that.

The problem with Gene's record is that most people expected a record they had NO REASON to expect in the first place,

THAT is what Gene sounds like...Up until that point, and not until a few years in the future, would he pretend he was something other than what he was.

And people SURE didn't like THAT either!

Anyone up for spinning the Gene-only version of Anamalyze?

I didn't think so.

D.B., carlwm and ejluther like this.
  2. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I only feel that way about half of Peter's record.

I think Gene's was fine, and the songwriting was great. I don't know what people expected, but THAT is what Gene sounds like!

Peter's record had some MONSTER (no pun) moments. (Hooked on Rock n' Roll" would be ripped off and re-written for "Monster" and "I can't stop the rain." is in my opinion a #1 SMASH HIT.)

But some of the stuff....It just wasn't smart.....not for the band, and not for Peter.....that "FM, soft-rock." thing?

It just wasn't going to get over......those four records should have had an "Executive producer." A quality control Czar that said "NOPE! Sorry, this doesn't cut it....this isn't a REAL solo record. This is an artificial solo record....we are just releasing one KISS record with 8 sides. and each two are sold separately."

Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  3. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

But wait, Paul is clearly lip syncing here ;) aren't we judging everything KISS these days by how the footage comes across on YT?
    After 30+ years of decline in the art of writing lyrics (not for all but for many), this doesn't seem so bad.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I disagree, I think most fans expected material more in line with.....

Nothin' to Lose
    Deuce
    Cold Gin (sung by Gene)
    Watchin' You
    Parasite (co-vocal with Paul)
    Goin' Blind
    All the Way
    Let Me Go Rock n Roll
    Two Timer
    Ladies in Waiting
    She
    Rock n Roll All Nite
    God Thunder (sung by Gene, total character song)
    Shout it out Loud
    Sweet Pain
    Callling Dr Love
    Ladies Room
    Love Em an Leave Em
    See You in Your Dreams
    Christine 16
    Got Love for Sale
    Almost Human
    Rockin' in the USA
    Larger than Life

The only KISS song he did from 1974-78 that doesn't really fit in was Great Expectations, that was the only hint. It was easy to understand why fans were thrown for a loop based on what came before from Gene.

5. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

A "Crazy Nights" remix could be awesome! I'm just foolish enough to think that deluxe versions will start coming once this version of KISS is done touring and Tommy has more time on his hands :). I also don't know how much of their own catalog KISS/P&G actually own and control - does anyone here know?

deeluxdx7, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Revisited ¨Double Platinum¨ (original CD, not remastered) with my Klipsch floorstanders the other day (hadn't given it a spin since the late 90s ! The sound and mix are SO much better than on the albums it's unbelievable. Remix trumps remasters. My go-to Kiss comp, and the one I recommend new listeners to get, and they usually get hooked ! Love this thread !

7. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

For fans of Lick It Up KISS - the third night of the tour:

8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I might have mentioned this before, but this thread made a big impact on my life. When it began, I became a father, and at the same time, was losing my mom. I read this thread religiously, taking her to chemo and all that at the time. Got me through. Kiss will always be an impact on my life. She was a librarian, and got my first taste of Kiss going through library stacks, finding Alive! as a kid. It was a fitting ending, coming full circle. God Bless Godshifter for his work here. It doesn't go unnoticed.

YardByrd, D.B., jmcgoldrick and 23 others like this.
  9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I don't think they own any of it besides the last two albums but I am hardly 100% certain of that. Their lack of ownership also might explain why the catalogue has been so poorly treated for a long time and why all we seem to get is a new generic comp from Universal which usually recycle the same old stuff.

ejluther likes this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Great tribute to this thread and to Godshifter for all his good work on it! Thanks for posting this!

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The leviathan thread has been spotted.

:D

ejluther likes this.
  12. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Paul didn’t rip off Hooked on Rock n Roll for Monster he ripped off this. I’m amazed he got away with not crediting them.

And the intro was ripped off for Eric’s song on the previous album.

TheLastVoice likes this.
  13. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Nice tune.

TheLastVoice and ejluther like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Damn do I love Vinnie...

15. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I do wish he had stayed in the band and melded his style with more blues (which it's said he could play beautifully)...

William Smart and Curveboy like this.
  16. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Vinnie's made some great records but I do get wistful about all the lost years. So much talent, so little music.

18. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I think they sync'd up footage from one performance, to the audio of another.

He's not lip synching. It's just the audio of one night, and the visuals of another.

But.....It's still REALLY GOOD..........and I'm still in shock...

...with everything that's happened in the world recently.....with all these signs of the impending apocalypse...

....None is more convincing to me than the fact that I am gleefully rocking' out to "Bang Bang You." in 2021.

The end is nigh.

God MUST be a KISS fan....so I might as well get used to the tracks I didn't used to like in this world.

Because I might not be picking the playlist in the next one.

William Smart and ejluther like this.
  19. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I can't speak to what others expected with Gene's solo album. I only got into the band in 1992, but I didn't even hear Gene's album until 2014 because I only bought Ace's in my early days of KISS fandom. So I went in mostly blind. I think I'd heard Radioactive and When You Wish Upon a Star. I knew it would be eclectic which is good for me. I just expected good songwriting and while there are absolutely some great moments here, at least half of the songs feel unfinished to me. Like he had a spark of an interesting idea, but didn't see it through. It sounds like he was just having fun with it and not trying to make a serious album like Peter did. I just wish he would've put more effort into it, because it could be a lot better.

20. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

21. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Dressed To Kill is one of my favorite if not THE favorite of their albums. That & R&R Over. I love the sound of those two especially.

22. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Yeah, that has always been Gene's Achilles heel.

Most "Artists" are very self-critical, nothing is ever good enough ect ect.

This isn't good either, in fact it's terrible...

....But Gene? He's rather unique in that he does not suffer from a lack of self esteem. But this is also a double edged sword that can lead to "Half-a$$ing" We all know he has a tendency to write too many half-baked songs and not put his all into the ones that are showing real promise.

I mean.....it HAS worked for him. But you can't help but get the feeling if he put on his "Quality control" hat a little more often, things might have been even better.

I certainly agree with you about the nature of Gene's weaknesses.

William Smart and Cheevyjames like this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Absolutely. It couldn't be more obvious.

William Smart likes this.
  24. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I might have felt the same way the first time I saw this clip. But then I probably thought the song was okay, not great, the first time I spun Crazy Nights. The problem is that the song gets old fast.

William Smart likes this.
  25. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Those are incredible sounding records.

I give the edge to "Dressed to kill"...because....I don't know. I just sounds RIGHT. The way they layer acoustic guitars under all the electrics. The amps are more LOUD than distorted. Peter is really interesting on that record. (Side note: I played it for a pro drummer at a session, who obviously wasn't familiar with early KISS. First he was like "I had no idea THIS is what they used to sound like...why don't they do that NOW?" I was like "Buddy, millions of people have been wondering that for YEARS...truth is...I have NO IDEA why they don't dance with what brought them.."

He was really kind of perplexed by Peter's drumming. He was like: "This guy doesn't play the same thing twice...this guy does have that "big band" "Razzmatazz". "You don't often hear this kind of approach in Rock music......Yeah not sure why they don't just stick with this type of thing."....Yeah bro....that's the million dollar question....although I'm pretty sure the reason....whatever it may be, has the initials "P.S"....but hey, who knows?

R.N.R.O is great sounding too.

Kramer, although I think calling him a "producer" is a bit of a stretch....He's more of an "A-list" engineer. Really made that thing sound great. I've heard they used tons of vintage tube mics on everything. That makes sense, because everything sounds so soft (In a good way.) Everything is just smooth analog "Butter" It is a VERY "easy" record to listen to. Everything sounds so well rounded, rich and harmonically tasty.

His mixes featured way more "Room mics" for the drums. He didn't really focus on the close mics. He actually let the bass take the low end as opposed to a driving kick drum. The result is you get a warm "drum image" as apposed to thudding in your chest.

I have no problem with "Love Gun" but engineering wise? I don't think it measures up to R.N.R.O.

I'm thinking that "Theater in the round" they used took too long, and Bill Aucoin was not a patient man.