I'm on a trip to your town. Which record store should I hit?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mr. faded glory, Jul 6, 2021.

1. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe it's a terrible idea for a running thread. But maybe not. I didn't find a similar thread with a search, but I may have missed it. You can learn a lot from the world wide internet web. But nobody knows a record store like a regular. I know where I would send people looking for different genres of music if they were visiting KC. So if someone was visiting your town you might be able to point them in the right direction too.
    I'm currently on a road trip to Des Moines IA going to hit Vinyl Cup and probably Underground music cuz I scored there years ago. I like classic rock, love "grunge", and blues.
    If you think you could help a traveler to your town maybe follow this thread. And help your local and your basic internet stranger.

Groovy and uzn007 like this.
  2. Indigo

Indigo Forum Resident

I love this idea! If you were headed for Miami, you would probably wanna make a stop at Radio-Active Records in Fort Lauderdale first. Once you've actually arrived in Magic City, you should swing by Sweat Records, which was recently featured on Discogs. Honorable mentions for Lucky Records and Technique Records.

3. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Don't waste your time coming here...they're all closed down. A few years ago we had some good ones here in Sacramento, like the Beat and Dimple, but no longer.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

In Minneapolis, the Electric Fetus is a must. Cheapo can be a rewarding visit, too.

5. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Sacramento has no record stores at all?

6. mr. faded glory

Bummer man.

CliffL likes this.
  7. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

In Portland, go to Music Millennium. Everyday Music has a large selection of used CD’s and LP’s.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Recordland, Calgary.

You will never leave.

Militant Dandy likes this.
  10. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

In Chicago you'll want to hit Reckless Records. There are 3 locations but the Belmont Ave shop is least picked over by hipsters.

Then there's Groovin' High, also on Belmont.

Dusty Groove on Ashland for your blues.

There are tons of others but check these first.

alex1976delarge and kouzie like this.
  11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Red Cat Records-Vancouver, B.C.

12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Not really...very depressing! And to think Tower Records originated here...

13. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Los Angeles is a great city for brick and mortar record stores.

The recently moved and reopened Amoeba should be on everyone's list. Not quite as big as the old location, but certainly not lacking in choices.

The nearby, Counterpoint Records and Books is also worth a visit. Despite carrying used books, they have plenty of vinyl and CDs.

Not too far away up the 101 freeway, is FreakBeat Records. You will tend to find some obscure stuff here, but don't expect some hidden gems. The owners are very knowledgeable, and nothing rare slips by them. But don't expect to overpay either.

A few more miles up the 101, is the CD Trader. Don't be fooled by their name, they have plenty of vinyl.

In the Burbank area, is Atomic Records. Nice vinyl selection.

Over the hill in Santa Monica, is Record Surplus. They specialize in vinyl, but have a decent CD selection. I like how they price everything, so when tax is figured in, it comes to a nice even number.

There also plenty more, smaller shops around in Atwater Village, Pasadena, Highland Park, and more.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    steelydanguy and ghoulsurgery like this.
  14. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

jfire, musicfan37 and frightwigwam like this.
  15. flyingdutchman

Also, in Honolulu, it's Hungry Ear and Barnes and Noble (it's in Ala Moana Mall)

steelydanguy likes this.
  16. flyingdutchman

And in my second home, i.e, Japan, go to Disk Union in Tokyo. Best record store hands down.

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

A friend pointed me in the direction of FreakBeat last time I was in LA. Loved that spot

Simoon likes this.
  18. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

about 60 min south of me and not the same county but Record Rack in Pompano

steelydanguy likes this.
  19. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

Liverpool currently has five or six equally disappointing record shops. Go to Manchester instead and find Piccadilly Records.

20. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

That sucks. The Beat was one of the better stores I've shopped in. Dimple was a step down from Tower, but better than nada.

CliffL likes this.
  21. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

Here in Switzerland, there are several record stores, mainly located in the cities. However, if anybody here per chance happens to visit Switzerland one day, there is this store named "Zero Zero" in a town called Baden. It has an incredibly huge amount of Vinyl and CDs, Box Sets, rarities and everything... Definitely my place to go, I love this store.

tyinkc and mr. faded glory like this.
  22. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

In Philadelphia:
    Long in the Tooth
    Philly Record Exchange
    Beautiful World Syndicate

Surrounding areas:
    Double Decker (Allentown, PA)
    Matones Music (Collegeville, PA)
    Phidelity Records (Westmont, NJ)

23. mr. faded glory

Actually we went there a couple years ago. It was on Rolling Stones top 10 record stores to visit. We were a bit disappointed. I did pick up a couple of bootlegs from the Chilli Peepers, and Rage. Our favorite store was just out side of town called Mill City Records (I think). Either way it was a good trip Royals beat the Twins.

frightwigwam likes this.
  24. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

And let me add, even though their selection may not fit what the OP is looking for, Audio Element, a high end audio store in Pasadena, has a nice selection of mostly used vinyl.

And another high end store in LA, Common Wave, has an excellent selection of vinyl.

Both the above tend to be mostly recordings that audiophiles are looking for, i.e., jazz reissues, classical reissues, Mobile Fidelity, etc.

steelydanguy likes this.
  25. mr. faded glory

Thank you. My wife and I make record shopping a priority on all road trips.

Tjazz and Indigo like this.