I'm on a trip to your town. Which record store should I hit?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mr. faded glory, Jul 6, 2021.

1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

My favorite Baltimore-area record store chain (Record and Tape Traders) declined and died a few years back, but from time to time I've visited the Sound Garden in Fells Point and I've never left there empty-handed.

If you're in Rochester, New York, hit up the Record Archive. I spent a lot of time there when I was a student, and they're still around (in a different location).

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

None here in South Shields, UK. But several great record shops at the other end of the Great North Run in Newcastle.

3. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man a trip to Switzerland would be a dream come true. Thanks

Durango88 likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I don't think my town has had a record store since the 80's.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

No, it's a good idea for a thread. Matter of fact, I lived in Des Moines for nearly five years. I used to know where the record joints are, but haven't been back for a couple decades (to this date, it's still "the whitest place I ever lived": I mean, "white" like mayonnaise, golf, old car shows and bermuda shorts!).

If you're ever in the Harrisburg area looking for records...for god's sake, keep driving! Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are where you need to be! BUT, and I learned this when I first came here in the last century, there's a record show in Lancaster, 30 miles down the road, ever 2nd Sunday of the month. KEYSTONE RECORD COLLECTORS – BY COLLECTORS, FOR COLLECTORS

In fact, our best record options here, in the CAPITAL CITY of one of the major states...aren't even in town. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  6. mr. faded glory

Thanks guy. Hopefully you will all keep an eye out to help people who are traveling to your town in the future.

7. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

In Philly, I would recommend Main Street Music, Molly’s Books and Records, and Beautiful World Syndicate.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  8. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

And I thought I had it bad!

9. Dillydipper

How many record stores would you say are still in the South Street neighborhood, right around Johnny Rocket's?

10. Dillydipper

:agree: Towson was always my first stop, but once you come for a night at Admiral Fell Inn, Sound Garden is just three doors down...no reason to sight-see anywhere else! :laugh:

11. Dillydipper

What a wealth of music stores up that way. But yeah, Fetus is essential. I would do at least one run every year I attended a radio convention there. Cheapos on Lyndale was my last stop before the airport!

Don't miss Sebsastian Joe's Ice Cream - the "Pavarotti" is my favorite.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    steelydanguy and frightwigwam like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Hello Denver Colorado, home of Mile Hi Comics! Your targets include Wax Trax, which when I lived there, was four different stores, with vinyl, CD, video and..."other", taking up the whole block! Then Twist And Shout!

This was where I discovered two favorite treats: Fat Tire Ale before it became "big", and the original Chipotle burrito, before McDonalds' merged with them and helped them move across the country. Another treat? See's Candies!

steelydanguy likes this.
  13. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Montana, as they say is a small town with long roads, so I'll flag great stores in Missoula and Bozeman.

Missoula: Ear Candy and Rockin' Rudy's Viny lHeaven

Bozeman: The Wax Museum

14. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

In San Jose the two main choices are right down the street from each other on Bascom Ave: Rasputin Music and Streetlight Records. They're not as big as Amoeba in LA or the bigger stores in SF/Berkeley but they have a pretty decent selection.

steelydanguy likes this.
  15. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

The only two that I know of in that immediate area is Repo Records and Noise Pollution, but there may be more.

16. Dillydipper

Wow, last time I was around there (just after my yearly accountants tax meeting), there were six!

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

If it was 1993 you'd be on cloud nine everywhere including Las Vegas. Time your trip with a record show in the area.

18. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Keeping going east passing Amarillo on I-40 and onto Shamrock, on the TX/OK stateline. You'll enjoy "Spinning Jenny's.

flubmetal likes this.
  19. EM is circling the drain. They do not seem to give a crap anymore and the Burnside store is half the size it was and the Beaverton store is 3yrs closed.
    MM gets all the crowds but I never find anything used there; it must go too quick.

My vote is for 2nd Avenue records.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  20. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

21. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I like that whole small area for records when I'm going through Columbus. I liked Elizabeth's a lot, and there are a couple more a few blocks over.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  22. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I used to go to Used Kids in the mid-90's when it was "downstairs". Found some good stuff.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  23. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

BTW, in Tokyo, Tower still reigns supreme in the new releases.

24. mr. faded glory

Judging strictly from youtube record shopping in Japanese cites looks amazing.

25. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I drove through Shamrock on the Rt 66 portion of my Spring Road Trip. I didn't stop at Jenny's, but I did snap a "drive-by" photo:

[​IMG]

(If you're ever plan to motor west and are in the area, check out the Devil's Rope Museum just down the road in McLean. It's one of the coolest museums on the Mother Road.)

Jamey K and mr. faded glory like this.