The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I've read pretty much everything from the last 222 pages, but it's 'Days' that really makes me want to say something, although I can add nothing more than anyone has already said. It's top-tier Kinks, and one of very few that I guess will still be played/sung 50 years from now. It's a universal theme we can all relate to at some level. Loss. I'd suggest it is now one of the best known Kinks songs in the UK, up there with Waterloo Sunset and a handful of others.

The Glastonbury version by Ray was very soon after the death of Pete Quaife, so it must have held a special poignancy at that time for him.

We have this 1991 version of the song on the 1991 five-track 'Did Ya' EP. It wasn't released in the UK, so I remember going to great lengths at the time to get hold of a copy.

I just wish Ray had re-done the couple of 'days' vocals at the 2.00 minute mark. They just jar a bit.

2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Not surprising. Even Waterloo Sunset is largely overlooked in the US.

mark winstanley and rockerreds like this.
  3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Days
    I can totally get how someone may get tired of hearing a classic song if they heard it too much. I was coming into today thinking maybe I felt that way about Days, but then I listened to it and it's still lovely.

This song has made me break down in tears(but not today). When it was performed in Ray's Sunny Afternoon show, my friend and I sobbed. I'm sure this song was written about a romantic relationship, but for me, I've always think of it as how people pass through your lives. like some friends are only meant to be friends for a certain period of your life and then you and they move on. I cherish some people that way. I'll never regret knowing them even if we can't be friends any longer. It doesn't devalue the past relationship even if you walked away angry or disappointed in it.

This will probably be played at my celebration of life when I croak. If that doesn't say enough about it, I don't know what would.
    Edited to add in: really love Dave's backing vocals!

Thank you for the days, Ray! xo

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Above all else, to me, everything about this record is Cinematic. It's a big melody with a big production that has always conjured up images of a wide open space. This isn't a guy sitting in a chair indoors, thanking one person for anything. To my ears, this sounds like a guy riding on a galloping horse through a giant outdoor stadium, waving his hat at the crowd and thanking all of them for their patronage. And like most songs from the Village Green era, it's definitely taking place in the daytime. The chromatic modulation upward at the end might've been a tip of the hat to "I Am The Walrus," which also ends like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking behind leaving this off of the VGPS album might've had something to do with the musical similarity of the "Days I'll Remember All My Life" part to the "Baa, Ba Ba Ba, Ba Ba Ba" part in "Johnny Thunder." I've also always assumed that "Misty Water" was left off the album because it was musically a little too similar to "Starstruck" in places, but admittedly, that's all just conjecture.

5. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

DAYS

After telling us life is not real on Wonderboy, Ray now comes clean and tells us some days in life are sacred and transcend the everyday.

This song is almost a mantra. It builds insistently. The religious language is there but not overwhelming. Believe me and bless the sacred light.

Opposites seem to co-exist in the song. Endless days vs. a single day. Wrong vs. right. Night vs. day. Tomorrow vs. today. Being gone vs. being with me now.

It's as if by will-power the singer is placing himself above events and outside time. He knew things that would happen in the future.

His life was taken but he's thankful for the experience. He's thankful for the good times and doesn't dwell on sorrow.

Musically excellent. The vocals by the two brothers are superb. The synth is great but the subtle piano is even better.

And the song doesn't overstay its welcome, which is why it's a joy to listen to over and over again.

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

One of my absolute favourites.

7. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Curiously, for all the feelings this song attracts, there aren't that many covers of it. Days doesn't appear on any of the three compilations of artists doing Kinks songs that I have. For what it's worth, Mark Lanegan's version of Nothin' in this World .. is my highlight. Track lists for the curious:

Give the People What We Want – Songs of The Kinks (Sub Pop 2001)

1. Revenge - C Average 2:55

2. Gotta Get the First Plane Home - Young Fresh Fellows 2:03

3. Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me from Worryin' About That Girl - Mark Lanegan 4:12

4. Who Will Be the Next in Line - Mudhoney 2:10

5. Ring the Bells - Model Rockets 2:25

6. This Man He Weeps Tonight - Fall Outs 2:20

7. The Way Love Used to Be - Heather Duby 2:40

8. Sunny Afternoon - Baby Gramps 5:00

9. Alcohol - Murder City Devils 3:25

10. Session Man - Congratulators 3:06

11. Tin Soldier Man - Love As Laughter 3:46

12. Waterloo Sunset - Fastbacks 3:23

13. Fancy - Jon Auer 3:04

14. Brainwashed - Pinkos 2:18

15. Act Nice and Gentle - Larry Barrett 2:55

16. Wicked Annabella - The Minus 5 2:25

17. Strangers - Makers 3:49

18. Come Dancing - Briefs 2:25

19. I Go to Sleep - Nikol Kollars 3:53

This Is Where I Belong – The Songs of Ray Davies and The Kinks (Ryko 2002)

1. Better Things - Fountains of Wayne 03:08

2. Starstruck - Steve Forbert 03:39

3. Stop Your Sobbing - Jonathan Richman 02:16

4. No Return - Bebel Gilberto 04:08

5. A Well Respected Man - Josh Rouse 03:13

6. Victoria – Cracker 03:32

7. Who'll Be the Next in Line - Queens of the Stone Age 02:28

8. Big Sky - Matthew Sweet 02:50

9. Art Lover - Lambchop 05:04

10. Picture Book - Bill Lloyd 02:46

11. Muswell Hillbilly - Tim O'Brien 03:54

12. Get Back in Line - The Minus 5 03:05

13. Till the End of the Day – Fastball 02:21

14. This Is Where I Belong - Ron Sexsmith 02:19

15. Fancy - Yo La Tengo 02:45

16. Waterloo Sunset - Damon Albarn / Ray Davies 02:39

The Modern Genius of Ray Davies (Mojo magazine free disc March 2006)
    note this contains one of the Ryko songs and two from the Sub Pop album

1. Better Things - Fountains Of Wayne 3:06

2. This Strange - Effect Steve Wynn 2:47

3. Fancy - Redd Kross 2:52

4. Who Will Be The Next In Line - Mudhoney 2:09

5. You Shouldn't Be Sad - The Thanes 1:56

6. This Is Where I Belong - Bill Lloyd 2:04

7. A Long Way From Home - The Green Pajamas 2:46

8. No Return - Yo La Tengo 2:00

9. Situation Vacant - Kevin Tihista 2:58

10. Big Sky - The Blue Aeroplanes 2:45

11. Tell Me Now So I Know - Holly Golightly 1:58

12. Waterloo Sunset - Peter Bruntnell - 3:26

13. Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl - Mark Lanegan 4:12

14. Last of the Steam-Powered Trains - Ed Kuepper 7:35

15. See My Friends - Gravenhurst 8:48

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Kirsty MacColl had a hit with it. Elvis Costello covered it as did Flo & Eddie.

9. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

There are two more "Kinda, Sorta Kinks" complilations, Shangri-La: A Tribute to the Kinks, which came out on Imaginary Records in 1989 which does have a cover of "Days" & another free MOJO Magazine disc from the March 2017 issue entitled Something Else: A Tribute to the Kinks, which are the songs from that album covered by different people ("Death of a Clown" by Wreckless Eric) along w/a cover of "This Time Tomorrow" by Gaz Coombs of Supergrass. Uncut Magazine put out a CD w/it's December 2010 issue called An Autumn Almanac: 15 Songs in the Spirit of Ray Davies, which are mostly songs by various UK folk & rock artists that the said magazine deemed done in the spirit of Ray, except for Kate Rusby's version of "The Village Green Preservation Society". Finally there exists the soundtrack for the recent Kinks jukebox musical Sunny Afternoon, which are Kinks songs done by the original cast (there's also another compilation of the original versions of the songs used in the musical).

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Can’t be done. (elevate something that is already at the pinnacle!)

11. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I do believe that "Days" was best served as a single. I can't imagine replacing any song on The Village Green preservation Society. It would most likely have to be the last song, but then you lose "People take Pictures Of Each Other" which is a perfect closing song. The Village Green Preservation Society is already 15 songs and it's still only 40 minutes! A perfect album as it is. If I had to replace a song for "Days" I can't come up with a good answer.

Wondergirl, renderj, The MEZ and 7 others like this.
  12. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I should have qualified my comment - ‘except for those already linked in this thread’. I’m partial to the Kirsty McColl version - partly I guess due to the tragic circumstances of her death.

13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Indeed, Days would have also detracted from the strong theme running through VGPS.

14. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I should have qualified my comment - ‘except for those already linked in this thread’. I’m partial to the Kirsty MacColl version- due partly to the tragic circumstances of her death.

15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It *was* originally set to close out side 1 on the 12 track edition, but I do question how well it lives there too.

16. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

See My Friend was the correct title it would seem. I posted up thread about the decision to change it to Friends.

CheshireCat, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  17. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Days

Very little to say about this one. Quite simply this is nothing short of a masterpiece. It tells us that all love relationships end in heartbreak one way or another and staying together doesn't avoid that heartbreak. Again, simple lyrics prove very effective.

Without doubt one of the top three Davies compositions. The stereo version with studio chatter on Anthology and with the vocal centered is my favourite version.

Saw the Kinks in concert at the Town and Country Club shortly after the McColl hit and she made an appearance where she sang her version.

18. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Was that just before the release of UK Jive? That's the time that I saw them at the Town & Country Club, but I don't remember Kirsty coming on stage. (That's also the only Kinks gig I ever got to)

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Put Basil in the soup!

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"Lincoln County"

[​IMG]
    Single by Dave Davies with the Kinks
    B-side
    "There Is No Life Without Love"
    Released 30 August 1968
    Recorded 1968
    Genre Folk rock
    Length 3:12
    Label Pye Records
    Songwriter(s) Dave Davies
    Producer(s) Ray Davies

Dave Davies' third solo 45 had a checkered history, two release dates came and went before it was released, contrary to popular belief the single was not released and withdrawn, although a handful of promo copies were date stamped with the previous release dates. The delays were partly down to PYE not wanting competing Kinks' product and the Kinks' uncertainty of what their next single would be and it was left waiting in the wings until an appropriate gap in the release schedule became available. "Lincoln County" was eventually released in June 1968, backed with "There Is No Life Without Love". Unlike the previous two Dave Davies singles ("Death of a Clown" and "Susannah's Still Alive"), the single flopped internationally and at home, only hitting #15 on the Dutch Singles Chart and missing the charts elsewhere. There was only modest promotion of the single by PYE, but surprisingly it did get good airplay on the BBC's fledgling Radio 1 as well a promotional film recorded to support its release. After this, Davies would only release one more single ("Hold My Hand") before putting his solo career on hold until 1980 (despite some solo dablings in the mid '70s after the Kinks own recording studios Konk opened in 1973) with his album Dave Davies (referred to in the US as AFL1-3603.)

"Lincoln County" would have likely appeared on any Dave Davies solo album had it appeared in the second half of the 1960s, but an album was never released. It however has since appeared on numerous compilations including The Album That Never Was and the reissues of Something Else by the Kinks from 1997 onwards. Most notably it appeared on 2011's "Hidden Treasures" in remastered stereo, this album finally brought the whole tortured saga of the lost 1960s Dave Davies solo album into full public gaze.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------wikipedia----------------------------------------------------------------

mono mix (3:11), recorded Mar 1968 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London.

I've gotta get a train, take me back home again,
    See my daddy, momma wants to see me too.
    I'm gonna see my momma looking through the window
    At the station in the morning, been a few mornings since I've been home.

I've been doing wrong but now I'm going home.
    So come on girls, you better put your best boots on.
    'Cause when I get home to Lincoln County,
    Won't know which way to go, I'm gonna find all those pretty girls.
    I'm gonna find them all.
    Gonna lift the lid off hell, drink some beer, I'm gonna live it swell[?].
    Then I'm gonna shout for more.

Well, I bought a new suit at the best pawn broker's shop,
    Bought my ticket from money that I saved in jail.
    I got a boot lace tie, I got for my Pa,
    I got a head scarf, fair, I got for my momma that she won't wear.

I've been doing wrong but now I'm going home.
    So come on girls, you better put your best boots on.
    I'm gonna find them all.

I've gotta get a train, take me back home again,
    See my daddy, momma wants to see me too.

'Cause when I get me back to Lincoln County,
    'Cause when I get back to Lincoln County,
    I'm gonna find them all.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: ?

Lyrics for "Lincoln County" kindakinks.net

This is almost like a prodigal son type situation. We have Dave trying to get back home, after a wandering sojourn, and he is looking forward to seeing his family and friends, and particularly catching up with some of the local girls he has missed, and he is planning to party hard.

We open with a Wurlitzer? organ and guitar and hi hats. We have a sort of two beat feel here, and it gives the song a kind of forward motion to match the theme of the song.
    We get another nice descending bassline that the band was so fond of.
    We also get some nice key modulations, which suggests Dave had been paying attention to some of the things that Ray had been doing.
    We have some strings that work extremely well for me.... I guess it could be a mellotron, but I'm not hearing that distinct mellotron sound or the looping effect it has.

I really like the arrangement here, and it is interesting that the song didn't get any traction.... it did chart at 15 in the Netherlands, which seems in some ways to be the bands strongest market up until 1972.

This track was again marketed as Dave solo, although it was The Kinks playing on it and Ray producing..... and I still find this to be very interesting.

Essentially the single was seen as a failure, and with the next single doing even less business Dave was discouraged about the whole idea of a solo album, that up to this point had been very much on the cards, but we'll get into this after the Village Green album and related songs....

This track has a really nice bouncy feel, and I actually think in many ways we hear Dave growing as a writer and performer. There are sections of the vocal here that I hear Dave taking on some of Ray's in character vocals, and I think it does add to the song, and gives it its own personality.
    The is almost a countryish feel to this too, which is interesting in light of where the band will go in a few years time.

I think on the whole this is a really good song, it is extremely new to me and it has grown on me a lot in the time I have been hearing it.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

This is the stereo version of the single

vanhooserd and All Down The Line like this.
  22. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I cannot remember exactly but thought it would have been around the time of the McColl single - 1989. I remember thinking at the time I would have preferred Ray to peform the song himself. It may be the Kinks did two or three shows but McColl only appeared on the one night.

EDIT: Just had a look. It was Aug 15th 1989.

23. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Indeed. What a weird raucous little song. The melody is at the same time catchy and somehow unresolved, like many Dave tunes. I like the “fiddle” hook (probably played on a mellotron?) and the drunken party feel of the whole thing. It does sound a bit like some of Ronnie Lane’s seventies solo records, that I've just discovered. I’ve checked and noticed there are Lincoln Counties in both the US and the UK, and I guess that’s the trick here: a very English lad telling a very English story, with a very English accent and a very English attitude, but fantasizing it as an American country song, or rather his approximation of it. That makes it a precursor to the whole Muswell Hillbillies endeavor and as such, a real curio, as I've always thought MH was Ray’s concept through and through.

24. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

That sounds about right for the gig I was at, and ties in with the release of UK Jive a few weeks later. It's quite probable that I've just forgotten about Kirsty appearing on stage - thinking about it, it does ring a bell! The main things I remember are that "Living On A Thin Line" was performed, as were "UK Jive" and "Down All The Days".

25. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

I like Lincoln County a lot. Sounds like it could just about have been a hit. Certainly didn't deserve to fall into obscurity.
    For all their famed Englishness I've always felt the Kinks have kept one foot on either side of the Atlantic.

Brettlowden, The MEZ, Steve62 and 4 others like this.