Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin teaming on 6-part TV docuseries, "3, 2, 1"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Dec 16, 2020.

1. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I believe MW has indicated M3 will be music related. However, he did not indicate whether it is new music or not.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Mac III part 3 has nothing to do with Hulu documentary

3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

His solo was always vastly ignored and hugely underrated…I hope this will eventually change but if does ever, it probably will sadly only after his passing.

4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Maybe next year Paul will sit down with someone and cover the era from McCartney to McCartneyII.
    There's a lot of heavy history in both his professional and personal life in that time frame to reveal if he pulls the curtain back.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's especially annoying with them not being American.

6. joy stinson

Someone will need to ask him to….and not just go over the same old Beatles era stuff.

JDeanB likes this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Some good stuff coming up on Hulu. This Macca doc, and Summer of Soul.

905 and joy stinson like this.
  8. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

This basically has been done with Wingspan.

But with The Beatles there is certainly the precedent to do the same stories over and over. Might as well cover Wings over and over too.

Certainly if it was less of a glossing over and more of some technical detail, I would of course be interested.

9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Here's hoping they do intertwine some solo Paul into the episodes. We'll just have to see how it's done. I suppose if they really are going to rummage through tapes and give us bits of sessions we may have never heard, then an all Beatles thing could be cool. Certainly they will have a different angle than anything before. Judging from the show's descriptions, it seems like they will. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Rubin swaying along to "Silly Love Songs" with his bare feet on Paul's lap.

Ms. Daisy, joy stinson and 905 like this.
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

Good news that it all comes out at once July 16th.
    I have enough time to request the day off work.
    I'm going to keep my expectations moderate for this.
    If it's good, then great.
    And if it's a little bland and full of stories we've already heard, the good news is I can just play this on nights I have trouble sleeping and it'd be like a lullaby.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Ms. Daisy, cwitt1980 and joy stinson like this.
  11. joy stinson

Lol…about what you wouldn’t mind seeing…what’s wrong with that…I’d like to know?

cwitt1980 and 905 like this.
  12. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

How does this thread about actual news have 4 pages but "Which Beatle sang this note of a random song?" get 50?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  13. 905

905 Senior Member

Wondering if Paul talks about the Strawberry Fields Forever mellotron on this Hulu series. It's one of my favorite Paul stories.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

Do we know what time it debuts on the 16th?

joy stinson likes this.
  15. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed.
    I keep Hulu because How I Met Your Mother is one of my comfort shows. (Lily's my favorite.)
    But I'm definitely getting my money's worth with these as well.

16. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I know! I can't figure this approach out.

Common sense tells me that both Get Back and this docuseries will be available to everyone...but because of the way they've gone about things (emphasising Thanksgiving, which does not apply to the rest of the world, not announcing other platforms other than Hulu) I have this irrational fear that I won't get to see any of this OR that I won't get to see any of it until after our American friends have seen it. At this stage, I'm just taking it for granted that Get Back will be streaming in the UK and elsewhere on those November dates, but it's not like that was made explicit in the announcement.

I wish the initial announcement would make clear which territories these docuseries are going to be available in apart from the US.

Sorry for the anxiety-induced post, but it really does make me feel insecure not knowing if I'll have access to this or not.

17. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

18. joy stinson

Hubby is aware of LIB and says he’s set to download it ….says he has certain places to get stuff. Hopefully when he puts it on my iPad I can see it.

905 and susyredstripe like this.
  19. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Caught the coming attractions for McCartney 3,2,1 on Good Morning America this morning. Paul’s speaking voice sounded very good. Further evidence the forced COVID layoff from touring has helped him, methinks.

20. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

21. Summer of Soul is fantastic

22. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed, maybe Paul will record another album soon, because of rockdown era his voice sounds good.
    Documentary looks great.

23. Yeah, this is about legacy building. Looks good. Won’t be surprised if Yoko does one.

24. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

He refers to George as Harrison. Has he ever done that before?
    Edit: watched it back again. He's distinguishing between George Martin and George Harrison.

Incredible moment when Rick plays Paul something John wrote that he'd never heard before and he calls it 'beautiful'. Apart from that, he seems to be telling the same stories - to be expected I suppose. But the footage and the photographs look gorgeous. A couple of ones I hadn't seen before. I really hope I can watch this. It's still not been announced when/if the UK will be getting this.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  25. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Which means Rubin just sits around and does nothing while taking a producer credit. At least he doesn't ruin sessions like some producers.

And I'm not being harsh with Rubin. His way of (not) producing with Black sabbath made 13 sound pretty good.