"Forbidden Planet" geek thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Blastproof, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Got the same set. My Robby lost part of an antenna when I took him out of the box.

BGLeduc and Scowl like this.
  2. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Here's another random thing. Early in the 2000's someone posted a full MPEG-2 high definition restoration of Forbidden Planet on Usenet, long before the HD-DVD or Blu-ray. I had seen HD movies on television but this looked far better than them and I couldn't wait for some HD media (other than the goofy D-VHS tapes) to show up.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Love the movie ...love Robby and when Robby guest starred on Lost In Space it was amazingly cool...

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A collector with an assortment of small Robbie The Robots...didn't realize how many have been manufactured to date.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

a video with same collector's larger sized assortment of Robbie The Robots...wow!

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I recognize one of those old robots! :)

Blu-ray is mostly wasted on me, not because of very small screen but my eyesight. Unless I get forced to I will always go for a regular DVD. Plus I have four regular players that all work still so while a regular DVD will play on the blu-ray player it isn't vice-versa. I do like to watch sports on HD channels though, you can make out player numbers and names, or follow the puck/ball. Nature shows are good too. The number of sports or nature DVDs I have is very low though.

These combined blue-ray/DVD releases irritate a bit, I don't understand why they exist although I have had a couple. Also, why did they make blu-ray cases so different from regular cases... not that I don't have enough oddball shapes anyway, but it puts me off when something is going to be a problem or stick out from what I already have.

7. The combos were for those who still had DVD but planned to upgrade to Blu-Ray. Some 4K Blu-combos same.

longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Perfect movie with perfect cast.
    That robot you have is awesome.

9. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Scared the hell out of me as an adolescent, and is one more reason why we shouldn't advertise the position of our home planet.

10. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member Thread Starter

I think so too, on both counts. I hope that I've inspired some of you to get one, too. They are available! I thought that I was being a bit childish to grab this, but my wife just laughs and is happy for me. I have a 23 year old Lost In Space robot, as well. I also have a bunch of TV Batmobiles and Enterprises. These are all iconic in their design, and I am happy for each. The very best part is that my grandson (2) is quite happy to sit with me and look at these things in action on video.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    longdist01, Manimal and CusBlues like this.
  11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I have a friend who built a life size one.

longdist01 and Manimal like this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Forbidden Planet is probably my favorite movie. Saw it as a child in the early 60’s. I was fascinated by the science but that film also made me want to become a composer which is what I ended up doing. I was fascinated by the music that the Krell made. I’ve seen this movie more times than any other.

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Thanks for posting.

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Wouldn’t be John Byrne would it? Ha

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

The Krell did give us powerful amps though:)

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

She was perfect for sure

17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Nope

Manimal and longdist01 like this.
  18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Oh my poor Krell.

Manimal and longdist01 like this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've got the 2006 HD-DVD Collectors Edition that comes in a metal tin. Still sealed as I never opened it. Just not a mega-fan of the movie. I did see it once years ago, and its okay, but I don't love it like some.

Scowl and BGLeduc like this.
  20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Been meaning to do this for a while and this thread pushed me to get it done last night. Here's a composite of the panning shot of the walkthrough of the Krell machine, with the distortions fixed. Not as hi rez as I'd like, but if someone has the ability to do full resolution image rips from the blu-ray, I'd be happy to redo it. I've always wanted a decent sized print of this to hang in my home office.

[​IMG]

21. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

People with more modest budgets might check out this site that carries several Robby knockoffs/variations:
    Robby the Robot

I've gotten several Lost In Space robot pieces from this guy, for my wife who collects them.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Very nice work @Solaris thank you for posting and sharing that. Are you going to matte and frame that up?

23. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I can guarantee that even though it was never opened, the HD-DVD will no longer be readable or playable.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Why is that? I have many HD-DVD's purchased around the same time and very few have failed. I just watched two others yesterday. Was there something in particular about this issue? The only one I have that became unwatchable with no visible damage was a Deep Purple "Live At Montreux" one.

BGLeduc likes this.
  25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yep, I should be able to get a 7x8 print out of it.

longdist01 and Blastproof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.