Mogami RCA Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Jul 8, 2021.

1. Troy T.

Troy T. Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all!

What Mogami RCA cables would you recommend for a CD player and tape deck to integrated amp/receiver? They have so many different ones to choose from.

Gold, etc, etc

I would love to upgrade the ones for my turntable, but they are hardwired in.

Thank you!

2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I just got the directional ones
    they seem high quality and did reduce noise a bit, imo good fit for line level.
    For the TT imo coax low cap

[​IMG]

3. Troy T.

PERFECT! Thank you! :)

Ingenieur likes this.
  4. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Why would they use a 2-conductor cable (2549) for a 1-conductor application (RCA) instead of something like 2964?

33na3rd and AC50 like this.
  5. Ingenieur

Everything is 2 conductor
    With a coax the shield is one

For signals at times it's better not to use the shield, so you need 2 conductors plus shield which does not carry signal, only rfi and tied to negative/ground at one end. Since only one end is tied down (the other is 'floating', no current loop exists.

It is fairly common. Is it better? Yes in some applications.
    Audio? The listener can judge. In my case it did lower noise a bit.

ogdens_sliced likes this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

A better question: Why do to they not say where the cables are made? They have "mogami cable is made in japan" on the front. And "the brand we use is Mogami". Or we "use a custom 4% silver solder blend" - as in they blend 1 part of 4% silver solder with 100 parts of tin? But this looks like a clear weasel way of not saying where the cables are made or attesting to authenticity of components, while usurping other company's reputations. Answer: Made in China Amazon seller, land of the counterfeit, so any component or everything on the cable is suspect of being counterfeit.

condorsat likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

Not 'counterfeit'
    Assembled by Workd's Best Cables
    The raw cable is manufactured by Mogami
    The connectors by Amphenol
    Cables assembled in Sri Lanka

I'm sure the oem would have filed a complaint since some have been on Amazon for 10 years.
    So they must be using the names with permission and they state cable made in Japan, not the product

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    bru87tr, Influxor and johnny q like this.
  8. AC50

AC50 Active Member

Mogami 2964 is a nice coax. Pure patch are offered with molded RCAs in different lengths.

Troy T. and Ingenieur like this.
  9. Troy T.

Thanks

2964 - They show Amphenol Black Chrome or Eminence Gold Locking connectors.

10. Ingenieur

In bulk, wholesale
    Connectors $1.70 each (per 1000)
    Cable $0.55 / ft
    3' pair materials <$10 (or less depending on qty)
    Maybe 1/4 hour to assemble
    Selling $35

11. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I use Mogami 2534 balanced ("Mogami Gold" brand, Neutrik Connectors) bw preamp and amps.

MOGAMI® - Neglex Quad Cables

"Mogami Neglex quad cable is perfect cable for home studios suffering from wiring and grounding problems. Mogami 2534 should also be used where intense RFI interference is a problem. Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables. Double conductors quad cables are more effective in canceling noise that can get past even the best of shields and is critical in an environment of high RF and EM interference."

"Reference Standard NEGLEX Quad High Definition Microphone Cable
    NEGLEX No. W2534 has become popular around the world as the standard for high quality digital and analog recording. The cable has also become popular for use with unbalanced equipment, such as high quality pre-amp, amp inputs and tape decks. Miniature Quad Superflexible Microphone Cable Originally designed for BANTAM patch-cords, this cable has become popular where a small diameter Quad mic cable is required."

Stone Turntable, AC50 and Ingenieur like this.
  12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

2549 is my favorite, inexpensive and quality sound, besting Blue Jeans and AQ in my system.

bru87tr, ssmith3046, Rushboy and 2 others like this.
  13. AC50

AC50 Active Member

I'm unable to view the images posted earlier, but the Mogami Pure Patch is a Mogami product that you can view on their website. The specs of every cable they make are plainly listed so you can decide which suits your application. I had star quad Canares for awhile and they were truly fine but I started getting "theoretical" and the higher capacitance numbers of doubling the conductors led me to the Mogami 2964s. I prefer machine crimped and over molded connectors to solder.

14. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Well, there are always two conductors, with coax the shield is one of the signal lines, but some designs like this choose to treat the two signal lines the same and then have a separate shield that is only connected at the source, and not used for the signal.

Ingenieur and unclefred like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Are you using 2549 for RCA or XLR? (I use it for XLR / balanced).

I like 2497 a lot.... for analog of course. It has some considerations to work with, as it is like 8mm OD, so you have to consider that when buying connectors as many handle cable up to 7mm well.

Toneh, Rushboy and unclefred like this.
  16. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Here are the specs of other cables mentioned, for comparison.

MOGAMI® - High Quality Balanced Microphone Cables -2549

MOGAMI® - Subminiature & Miniature Coaxial Cables -2964

Mogami W2497 Neglex Hi Fidelity Audio Interconnect Cable (164'/50m Roll) -2497 (could not find on Mogami site, seems to have been replaced by "newer model # or model" as when I google it, it leads to this page MOGAMI® - Bulk Unbalanced Microphone Cables
    on the Mogami site, which has a reference to it, but a search of 2497 or W2497 (seems like official part number has a W in front) on Mogami site does not lead to specs for this cable.

Actually a search for "2497" on the Mogami site leads to a couple Japanese links(a search of W2497 yields no results). Here is one of the links. I could not find 2497 info but did not look too hard.

http://www.mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2019.pdf

17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

No, I'm using it in RCA. I have thought about trying 2497 with my TT, so far out of all my cables a cheap red and white plastic set sound the best with it. :p

timind and TheVinylAddict like this.
  18. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Eigenvector likes this.
  19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I use 2549 (rca) and 2497 (rca). Switchcraft on the 2549 and Amphenol connectors on the 2497.

Rushboy, Troy T. and TheVinylAddict like this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

Check redco.com (Redco Cable)

Yes, not the easiest to find, but a good cable....

EDIT: Mogami W2497 | Redco Audio

A lot of people use it, get with the program! :)

Troy T., bever70 and Ilusndweller like this.
  21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I bought my 2497 here : Mogami 2497 RCA to RCA Hi Fi Cable (Pair) w/ Gold Amphenol Connectors
    The 2964 is a coax/spdif cable :
    Mogami 2964 RCA 75 Ohm Digital Coaxial S/PDIF Cable w/ Amphenol Gold Connectors

Very good dealer (in Greece so more Eu oriented)!

The complete Mogami catalog (2019-2020) can be downloaded here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIFxAC&usg=AOvVaw25vpTAVHJstgJtwceSsG_s
    Page 66 mentions the specs of 2497 and compares them to their top 2803 which is very hard to find.

Edit: that link doesn't seem to work but if you google 'mogami 2497 specs' their catalog (in pdf) is one of the first links that come up.

Toneh and Ingenieur like this.
  22. Ingenieur

Link worked for me, thanks

lot of good technical info at the end of it
    Downloaded/saved

23. Troy T.

Thank you all for the help. I am going to try the 2549 with Eminence connectors. From my CD (1 cable) and tape deck (2 cables) to receiver or integrated amp.

jesterthejedi and unclefred like this.
  24. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

I have had very good experiences with Mogami 2497 and 2549.
    Which Mogami speaker cable is the best choice?

25. TheVinylAddict

This (2497) now dominates my analog signal chain - which includes four TT's / phono pre's.... so there's a fair amount of them!
    IMO (as I glance at mine) if you are asking for two conductor, hard to beat the Mogami 3103.

EDIT - just to add it's also as low as $2.86 / ft, not super cheap, but not a bank breaker for many

Rushboy likes this.