Lyric HiFi In NYC Is Gone

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Plachy, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I’ve lived/worked in NYC my whole adult life, and people line up here for everything, including cupcakes :cool:

2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Don't know if I mentioned it on this thread or another, but a fairly recent interaction I had with Lyric (June, 2019) was really positive. I walked in without an appointment and there was only one employee in the store (not the owner). I mostly just went in to see what they had, though I was also in the market for speakers at the time that I said I could go up to $3K on. Small potatoes for them, obviously, but the guy let me demo whatever I wanted (even stuff well above the price range that I had no intention of buying) and we also just shot the $hit about audio topics for 30 minutes or so and it was a fairly pleasant affair. No pressure, no d-baggery, etc. Could have been different with more customers in the store or a different employee but that's the case with anything - the people who were treated like crap might, for example, have had a different experience with a different employee at a different time.

trd likes this.
  3. NettleBed

20 years ago the line for methadone at the clinic on 3rd avenue was pretty long. If those were the "real" NY-ers, I'll take the cupcake kids.

Benzion, trd and shug4476 like this.
  4. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I lived around the block on 22nd. And those folks are still around and never were much into Hi-Fi.

BeatlesObsessive, trd and NettleBed like this.
  5. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

My experience exactly (in UK). Had a local dealer hang up on me when I tried to phone and ask about a demo - said he was too busy!

Yeah I didn't get it either.

6. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

True dat.

In many ways this is the least spontaneous town one could experience unless you are, say, somebody like a George Clooney. You can’t just decide to go somewhere for dinner unless you have a reservation or the place you want to go to is not that good or off the beaten path. And there is nowhere on the Isle of Manhattan or in fashionable Brooklyn that qualifies as off the beaten path. And there isn’t anything good in this town that a thousand other people don’t know about also and want to try, just like you.

Now a celebrity like George, all he’s gotta do is poke his pretty face in somewhere and ask if they can setup something simple for him and some of his friends.

Still one of the greatest cities in the world and a privilege to live here, even if I’m not George.

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Some of the sentiments I am reading in this thread. from those celebrating the closing of an independently owned small business, are pretty disgusting.

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

Before the pandemic I would agree, now I am not so sure. My wife and I moved to the Hudson valley in 1982. When we first moved here we felt like tourist in NYC, it was all so new and unbelievable. Where we grew up ( the midwest ) driving 30 miles to go to dinner was no big deal. But if the 30 mile drive is to NYC for dinner it is a big deal. So we adjusted. We moved closer to a Metro North station and we started going to the city several times a month. We joined the Hilton club and would stay at a Hilton in NYC for 3 to 5 nights two or three times a year. We would ride the train to the city, use the subways and we stopped being tourist and became commuters. After we were both retired (2017) we started going to the city almost every week. We knew the city could be dangerous but we always felt safe enough. Then the pandemic hit and we hunkered down ( in Pleasantville ) like everyone else did. We have not been to NYC since the pandemic.

We watch the NYC news each day ( the only time Pleasantville makes the news is the traffic news when the Sawmill floods at Pleasantville ). It is clear from the news that NYC today is not the NYC we knew before the pandemic. From the news it looks like the wild west in NYC: killings are up, shootings are up, stabbings are up, subway violence is up, hit and run accidents are up. I have also heard that retention of experienced police officers is at an all time low. NYC has a lot of shaping up to do before I would feel comfortable about returning.

9. trickness

STEALING Hi-Fi, DEFINITELY

Night Version likes this.
  10. trickness

Just remember that the primary goal of the networks/papers is to sell advertising, and nothing gets people’s attention like bad news. Having lived here in the 80s and 90s, not to mention 9/11, I can say with certainty that no matter how bad you might think things are here, they ain’t THAT bad.

11. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I thought late 90’s was OK.

12. trickness

I guess you’re missing the part where these small business people were horrifically rude to the point where it was legend and multiple people in this thread have stories that confirm the behavior.

Personally, I’ll save my tears for the dozens of my old NYC haunts run by genuinely nice, hard working people who were pushed out by high rents & replaced by drug stores & ATM locations.

13. trickness

Yeah, from 95 on it got ok. Bland, but ok.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. trickness

You should get out to Queens more often, the food is better and reservations are not required

15. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Many major crimes have decreased
    Many flat
    A spike in murder
    Still lower than 10 years ago

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/do...ata/seven-major-felony-offenses-2000-2020.pdf

jonwoody and trd like this.
  16. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Why wouldn't you just live off food carts in NYC?

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  17. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

hell yes! Queens is a total food destination

astoria and flushing will blow your mind, also roosevelt ave under the el by jackson heights you could spend years and not eat the same thing twice

because they ain't all that great

18. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Even George would have to make a reservation at my shop!

jonwoody and shug4476 like this.
  19. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

the late seventies and early eighties manhattan was like the wild west it was deserted and you could get away with practically anything while nothing compared to the music scene

jonwoody, sean3089, dom91932 and 2 others like this.
  20. Or, don’t lie and just shop elsewhere/online.

kyouki and trickness like this.
  21. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

When I’m in Manhattan and I want to be treated well by retailers, I wear fancy shoes. I could be wearing jeans and a tee shirt, but I’ll get respect anyway.

jonwoody and BeatlesObsessive like this.
  22. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Nice for you to be treated as such but that on balance, it may be that those experiences were too few & far between to keep Lyric a viable, sustainable business. As I had commented all along this thread: I do not celebrate Lyric's demise. If only there were many, many more that received as you did the service and hospitality Lyric apparently graced upon far too few. In truth, I think Lyric was just tired and the desire was no longer there for the energy & drive to go about reinventing and reaffirming Lyric's new approach and persona for the coming years. Sometimes it is just time and there is no more.

You will return to our fair city when you are ready and comfortable in doing so. You will be welcomed when you return. As mentioned, everything about NYC is larger than life: the exaggerations of the bad by a media incentivized to exploit the sensational and the no-big-deal-life-goes-on demeanor of those who live here which is but one means of coping with the intensity of life here. The real picture lies somewhere in between.

New York City was the first major focal point for covid in the United States during Spring 2020. Life during wartime. It was an experience not forgotten. Stark memories offset by the feelings of solidarity and hope when we would clang pots and pans out open windows at 7 o'clock each night in tribute to the health care workers fighting in the trench warfare ERs against a pathogen we didn't yet know how to contain. I am proud of us and I am proud of our city for what we survived together.

I believe that those that profess schadenfreude upon the city will be disappointed. The city is roaring back, life and vitality in the streets, capital inflows to real estate and new businesses. We are just at the beginning of covid recovery, which means there are yet still many unknowns. I hope it goes well as to containment for that will ensure that the economic recovery goes strong. There is too much investment here that it could ever be presumed that the natural course of events for a city like New York would be a trajectory towards decay. There is too much energy here to ever presume Work-from-Home could ever replace the atom-smasher kinetics of a city like New York while running at full-tilt. New York City is life.

23. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I think Innovative was the one who didn't answer my email about seeing the Technics 1200.

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Oh! So that's the trick to being treated like a human being? I'm hitting Zappos to test your hypothesis...

kt66brooklyn and Shawn like this.
  25. NettleBed

Did you feel comfortable in NYC in 2005? 2009? Because that's about where crime levels are. It's true that crime is up from the historic lows of 2011-2018. The notion that it's anything at all like "the wild west" is so silly it's crazy. Shootings are up somewhat in the Bronx and in Harlem. Did you plan on hanging out at night in either of those places (baseball games excepted)? Subway crime was up in the first half of 2021 because ridership is only a fraction of what it once was and, because of that, there's much less police presence. Summer tourist season is already curing that, and once the office workers are back at least part time in the fall, subway crime will go back to whatever it was in 2019. Also, the "subway crime" isn't mostly happening on the actual subways but on platforms in areas where you weren't going anyway. Street crime/violent crime isn't something that primarily happens to middle-and-and upper class victims. It's mostly disadvantaged attacking the disadvantaged, in poorer neighborhoods.

NYC is really safe. It was being lauded as the safest major city in the US 10-15 years ago, and that's where the crime levels are now. Violent crime is up all over the country in 2021, so why would NYC be an exception?

Take it from someone who has lived here for awhile - it's safe.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.