Lyric HiFi In NYC Is Gone

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Plachy, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Late '90s *was* OK. And the crime in the late 90s was at least double what it is now.

Leao and trd like this.
  2. trd

trd Forum Resident

And there’s no more sure fire way to get a distorted sense of an area’s crime level than by watching local news.

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"If it bleeds it leads"

Leao, trickness and trd like this.
  4. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I visited NYC in 2017, I was surprised by how safe I felt in Manhattan and how clean it was, it felt better than London is nowadays. Wandered around Harlem without a care. Cops absolutely everywhere though which has a lot to do with it,

Beautiful city, Its probably it’s a bit different when you head to the Bronx but even there I’m sure if you mind your own business it’s no worse than a lot of European cities.

Leao and jonwoody like this.
  5. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

it's New York City and when it comes to shopkeepers on the high end RUDENESS ECCENTRICITY PATHOLOGICAL PERSNICKETINESS is the rule not the exception. And as you so correctly point out .. the rich now are more numerous and RICHER than they have ever been in history. if THEY have to say "please" & "thank you" then you probably can't afford it!!!

good heavens there are at least four slender box skyscrapers in midtown that have risen in the last 5 to 10 years whose only function is to hold a few dozen multimillionaire dollar apartments for global heavy hitters who could buy the contents of any store you walk into and have it all installed in their place ... before jetting off to London for two years! in that world ... well you can understand why they don't want our people dust hanging around their stores anymore. LOL... I once got the treatment at a TARGET in downtown Brooklyn for lingering over an iPad for too long at 8:30 in the morning!

still I remember walking by the White plains lyric on my way to the Harvey Sound up there...truly some kind tolerant guys there back then... the guy in the record Dept could get a little antsy when you didn't buy but was almost always amenable. Nowadays? Go to YouTube and check out the 4K video of some guy walking around that new shopping mall at Hudson Yards... once those tech kiddies start waving iPhones at the scanners .. us oldsters are gonna be rousted out of every place like a bunch of Mr. Magoo's!!!

misterdecibel likes this.
  6. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Me and my partner were last there in September 2019, loved it, stayed in Brooklyn, travelled on the Subway late at night, walked around late etc, felt MUCH safer than our home town Dublin, really hoping to go back again this December if International travel is at all possible (who knows?) have tickets for David Byrnes "American Utopia", love, love, love NYC. BTW didn't have any problems at all with rude shop owners, restaurant staff etc, for that go to Paris.

shug4476, Leao, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  7. NettleBed

Those buildings really annoy me. Skyscrapers in prime midtown real estate that are just residential towers for uber-wealthy. To borrow a Pink Floyd line - "why do they have to be so high?" They obnoxiously alter the skyline.

8. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Those are tourists in those lines. We don’t do that.

jonwoody likes this.
  9. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Hey we're tourists and we don't to that either!

jonwoody, Shawn and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  10. TheIncredibleHoke

Good for you! Ain’t nobody got time for that!

I’m notoriously cranky about lines and queues for stuff like that. My wife knows not to even ask.

11. TheIncredibleHoke

Glad you made it over to Brooklyn. Manhattan has definitely changed for the worse, but parts of Brooklyn still feel like old school NYC.

12. BeatlesObsessive

I think there are supposed to be 8 or 10 by the time they finish.. wouldn't mind but maybe they could build some new versions of those old type of apartments with a few hundred units around the city without the fancy courbosier pretensions and help a city out(maybe give some younguns a reason to buy a bit of hi fi stuff in enough room to set it up!) ... but anyway...

the old Harvey Sound in White plains has sat empty for 30+ years by now. those guys were great. they had McIntosh or Krell but my high school aged self was guided to a nice setup... Sony turntable pl10? ...Hitachi integrated amp 40 watts used and Boston Acoustics A40s... $300 ... made a nice sound!

Henry J likes this.
  13. BeatlesObsessive

LOL... haven't been back to Brooklyn since 2017 as work, life, and pandemic have kept me north of the city all this time. looking forward to a return but I'm cautious about hopping on a number 4 at midnight to and from the Yankee Stadium train stop as was my usual commute back then!

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have been waiting years for an opportunity to use this, and now, because of your post, I have the chance. Thank you! :magoo:

15. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I worked with World Wide Stereo a ton when I lived in PA.

Moved to NC and even had them travel down here to do a major job because the local place was simply rude and disinterested.

All I want as a customer is a little help and a little courtesy. If the store can’t provide that, I’m out.

I tried the local place for other projects along the way and finally found a rep who was wonderful, but he confirmed for me the “attitude” of the owners was one I couldn’t jive with, and so sadly, they will never get my business.

Snobbery falls flat with me. I don’t need my butt kissed, either. Just assistance and kindness :)

George P, jonwoody, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  16. BeatlesObsessive

if you have to be stuck anywhere outside of New York City... you can't beat Pleasantville for its assortment of restaurants ...walkable downtown.. and in the old days when I worked in Yorktown a quick escape down the sawmill after a quick take out order at Pizza Hut. Sadly never spent much time there so don't know the record store history other than a few purchases at Jamesway decades back but there can be no better place to have weathered the pandemic than up that way... BJ'S/WalMart/Acme/Shop Rite/Home Depot and more all within 5 minutes. Haven't been able to talk my crowd into a trip up there even when we couldn't find paper towels!!!

17. BeatlesObsessive

lot of friends & relatives reluctant to go back... news stories can easily create a sense of siege...when I was working in Brooklyn there was a shooting at my regular stop down the stairs from Adams office at borough hall ...it happens but still this isn't 1991. look at YouTube for this guy who does 4K walks around the city ... he did a walk at the new mall at Hudson Yards last week you get a sense that the city is about to return... once the people come back a measure of safety will be restored I hope

18. BeatlesObsessive

still lots to discover in Queens! always some lovely place you can sit down where not everybody is chasing a table. Rego Park at the end of the universe has always been good to me for some reason!!!

Leao likes this.
  19. BeatlesObsessive

the way things look ... NYC might support BOTH work from home AND the office life... I think it's all going to be happening when this giant MOTHRA fully roars back... can't wait to see 1 Vanderbilt up close... last I saw they were still on the foundation.. and 90 DeKalb and that food court on Fulton in Brooklyn!!!

20. BeatlesObsessive

LOL... though in my case my daily commute took me to Yankee Stadium at midnight so I might get me some wheels!!! beep beep beep beep yeah!

21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I was born in 1959 and raised in Queens. Lived in Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Went to school and worked in Manhattan from 1979. Built a house in Central NJ in 94 and commuted to NYC everyday until March 2015. So, I’ve spent a lot of time there. Sorry, but this city is not like it was. I don’t care what the statistics say. The chaos that I saw on news left my jaw dropped. It’s always had crime but never crime with impunity as it’s had since last summer. I still have friends who work in NYC and their employers were buying lunch so the employees didn’t have to go out. Glad I’m no longer there.

all24bits likes this.
  22. NettleBed

LOL . Things that you saw on the news has always been there. The statistics don't lie - NYC is safer than it was 10 years ago. Did the pandemic creates areas that were less safe now than pre-pandemic? Of course - midtown west most prominently among them, becuase until recently 1) none of the hundreds of thousands office commuters were working there and, consequently, few businesses open, and 2) no tourists either. Couple that with the Port Authority and Times Square area always having elevated street crime issues (compared to the rest of midtown) and you got a situation where crime went up in that particular area. But the tourists are back and office workers are starting to come back and that brought the police back and things are pretty much back to normal there. The whole "crime is out of control in NYC narrative" just isn't true, and the crime statistics prove it.

Leao, trd, jonwoody and 1 other person like this.
  23. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

And yet millions of us live here every day, go out to restaurants and parks, go shopping, & take the subway, instead of cowering in our homes because some chicken little news channel not surprisingly is spewing fear.

Want to do something really scary? Open a high-end audio store in Manhattan

24. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

" Chicken little news channel " That is funny
    I work & live in Manhattan love the weekends in the summer .I can park my car , No waiting for restaurants

Leao, jonwoody and Technocentral like this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I always wondered why Manhattan doesn't have places like this?

Guess they don't really exist in the West.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.