John Carpenter's "The Thing" is getting a 4K UHD release September 2021

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Zep Fan, Jul 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

I'll be getting this for my collection!!

[​IMG]

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Classic 1982 Carpenter classic, have the standard bd will have to get this. Carpenter's greatest film achievement, sci-fi masterpiece.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I rarely upgrade my Blu Ray discs to 4K but this title will be the exception.

alan967tiger likes this.
  4. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

"Feature commentary with director John Carpenter and Kurt Russell" -- John and Kurt are great on this. They are obviously good friends and have a blast (especially Russell) reminiscing about the trials and tribulations of making the movie.

5. Zep Fan

I captured this from the GRUV site today

[​IMG]

6. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Buy the movie you already bought on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray! Now in sharper detail with more color and extra features.

Pass.

audiomixer likes this.
  7. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Which one? A couple years ago this got some additional releases on BD (a remaster from the 2k scan and then a new master from a 4k scan from Shout!). Then of course there's the original HD releases from Universal on HD DVD and BD. Am I missing any? :)

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Zep Fan

US Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station - Wikipedia

During the summer the station population is typically around 150. Most personnel leave by the middle of February, leaving a few dozen (39 in 2021) "winter-overs", mostly support staff plus a few scientists, who keep the station functional through the months of Antarctic night. The winter personnel are isolated there between mid-February and late October. Wintering-over presents notorious dangers and stresses, as the station population is almost totally isolated. The station is completely self-sufficient during the winter, and powered by three generators running on JP-8 jet fuel. An annual tradition is a back-to-back viewing of The Thing from Another World (1951), The Thing (1982), and The Thing (2011) after the last flight has left for the winter.

Music Room: 5:50
    The Thing Mention: 6:46

Simon A, Fabrice Outside and enro99 like this.
  9. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Physical media is dead, but I'll be getting this.

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

OK...I'll buy.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Arrow transfer is generally regarded as the best version to date. It's a shame Arrow are not doing the 4K as well.

Fabrice Outside and DaveySR like this.
  12. noname74

Unfortunately it was region locked to B so not many of us on this side of the world got to enjoy it.

Spitfire likes this.
  13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That's the good thing about 4K discs. No region codes.

alan967tiger and noname74 like this.
  14. noname74

:agree:

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

audiomixer likes this.
  16. noname74

jhm likes this.
  17. Zep Fan

Arrived this morning....

But I'll watch it at night sometime over the Holiday Weekend.

[​IMG]

alan967tiger likes this.
  18. Zep Fan

Antarctica 2015

[​IMG]

19. I'll have to admit I really don't understand the upgrade for movies like this.
    I have it on VHS and the upgrade to DVD was worth the effort.
    The improvement from DVD to Bluray does not add anything to the movie I missed from the DVD version.

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Maybe it's time for a gear upgrade then as your ageing AVR (whilst great in its day) doesn't do lossless audio for a start.

Also.........check out this video comparison.
    The Thing • US Collector's Edition DVD vs. US Collector's Edition Blu-ray

So much clearer and there is picture info ( sparks from flare) actually missing from the DVD.
    And then the 4K release is better again.

I for one am rapt that I get to see these old genuine classics looking and sounding so good.
    But you must have the proper gear for maximum benefit.

If you don't really care then by all means save your money and enjoy your DVD's :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  21. Zep Fan

Getting a Receiver that could process lossless was the reason I upgraded. But, alas, my Receiver does not pass through 4K HDR... only 4K, so I bought a 4K Blu-ray player that delivered the audio to the Receiver and video to the TV.

Linger63 likes this.
  22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Sounds like the reviews for The Thing 4K UHD picture quality is fantastic, the only thing getting criticized is the lack of the original 2.0 Stereo Mix and the 4.1 Audio Mix taken from the Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack. Will have to wait for Shout Factory to re-issue this one again to be able to get those features.

23. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Scream Factory used Arrow's 4K scan for their limited edition steelbook blu-ray of The Thing in the U.S., (not their standard blu ray of the movie, which used an older scan of their own), which is now out of print (I have a copy). So, it was available here in Region A for a while.

I bought my copy of the new 4K disc yesterday, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. As JCRW mentioned, it does not use the original audio, and one post on the blu-ray.com forum mentions that a sound effect is missing on the new disc's audio.

EDITED TO ADD: Apparently, the sound effect is still there, just mixed lower than in the Arrow version.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    mikeyt and noname74 like this.
  24. Thanks.

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Of course, Shout Factory's disc has something the 4k disc lacks, the original Dolby Stereo mix.

mikeyt, Zep Fan, JCRW and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.