MiniDiscs. Worth anything?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Timos, Jul 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timos

Timos Forum resident Thread Starter

Before I purchased my iPod (5th gen) back in 2006, I was an avid MiniDisc user.

I mainly used blanks to record and listen to CDs on, but when it was obvious that the format wasn’t going to catch on I bought a load of prerecorded albums that Our Price (remember them, UKers?) were selling off dirt cheap - just for a laugh. I only paid about £12 for 6.

Does anyone know if these are worth anything? The reason I ask is because on Discogs one of the MD albums I own is going for £350. Is this just insane optimism on behalf of the seller, or is there a market for this now defunct medium?

2. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

You need to check the actual sales on Discogs.

US$ 20-30 is quite common for prerecorded MDs, rarities can be much more expensive.

Timos likes this.
  3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I just inherited a minidisc player and a load of hi e recorded discs. I threw mine out about 6 years ago. Whilst most of the discs play, many now show faults. Recording over them also works only sporadically. Decayed material or the player?

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I suppose the Mariah Carey disc might have some value, as it was the first release in the format, but generally the stuff that is worth more on vinyl will be worth more in other formats, as long as it's a format that has a market.

5. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

Player, almost certainly. I've never had a disc fail on me yet - even those recorded 20+ years ago.

It's Felix likes this.
  6. I’ve seen some of The Rolling Stones mini discs fetch decent $. Can’t really figure out why but they do.

7. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Thank you that was my assumption. Maybe need a way to clean lazer or whatever reads the discs….

long gone john likes this.
  8. Oscar Calero

Oscar Calero Member

I used to have MiniDisc player and I used to own a few original albums a lot black CDs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.