SH Spotlight What are the differences between the AP stereo remixes on 45 RPM LP & SACD of Nat King Cole?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mahanusafa02, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You missed the Ernest Tubb thread I started and stuck..

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I often wonder why there has been som many ****ty studio recordings upon history with vocals sounding thin and distorted, when there obvious was no problem doing it the right way, like this. What is your thought about that? Studio tech people that cared less about good sound, just to get performance right?
    In film history business, everyone wanted a better and sharper picture using the latest and greatest stuff.

Btw, I have this SACD. Perfect mastering.

RSteven likes this.
  3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have always loved the amount of life you got into the mix of The Song Is Ended on the S & P reissue of the album Just One of Those Things.
    Or, as Nat sang on Irving Berlin's The Song Is Ended:

"the song is ended, but the melody lingers on"

4. Steve Hoffman

Variations in sound always since the dawn of recorded music. Every technician has their own idea of what "good" sound actually is.

snkcube, RSteven, WisFish and 3 others like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

I'm surprised you can still hear Nat over the sound of the tuba. Billy May sure liked that tuba..

RSteven, Tim Lookingbill and CBackley like this.
  6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

:laugh:

George P likes this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm thinking of buying the SACD but I need to know if it can be played on a regular CD player which is all I have.

Does it sound different if played on a regular CD player?

8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s a hybrid SACD so it will play on a standard CD player. The redbook layer should sound fantastic.

RSteven and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  9. Tim Lookingbill

Thanks a bunch!

CBackley likes this.
  10. Tim Lookingbill

Freakin' stupid Amazon listings of the album in question. No way of finding out exactly what I'm going to get even when it states it's a hybrid SACD. Three listings with varying info and wild price differences whether a regular CD or Hybrid SACD...

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Those-Things-King-Cole/dp/B004C6QE6C

https://www.amazon.com/Just-One-Tho.../ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

- Just One of Those Things Hybrid SACD - DSD Edition by Nat King Cole (2011) Audio CD - Amazon.com Music

All three images for this album and not one shows SACD even the ones that say it's SACD.

Can someone find the right one before I pull the trigger?

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I can only play the redbook layer on my equipment and indeed, it does sound spectacular.

I would probably go to Discogs and search there for the SACD. If you are not comfortable using that site, you might be better off trying eBay. Just make sure they are not using a stock picture of the SACD on eBay.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  12. Tim Lookingbill

You mean the same stock image just like on Amazon? LOL!

I never thought I'ld find buying the thing I want online be so much trouble.

RSteven likes this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You're not kidding. The only AP SACD version of Love Is The Thing I can find on Discogs costs over $135 with shipping included, but that copy is not brand new and apparently the jewel case shows some significant wear and tear. Good grief, I think I paid around $50 when I got my brand new copy, IIRC.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  14. Tim Lookingbill

No thanks to us pumping up demand in this thread gushing over the sound quality. They should have Steve Hoffman ticker scroll feature here to indicate price increase of his albums he's remastered like it's a stock price.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price went from $135 to now $500. At least it was fun discovering this album here and hearing YouTube vinyl versions.

RSteven likes this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

In less depressing pricing news, you can still get The Nat King Cole Story on SACD for $65 and After MidnightSACD for $35 on the Acoustic Sounds website. I don't remember their shipping fees.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2021
  16. CBackley

These SACDs pop up somewhat frequently on this site’s marketplace. And usually for a great price. You can also do a “want to buy” post; that’s how I got Love Is The Thing.

Tim Lookingbill and RSteven like this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to buy Love is the Thing on this site for $38. That was in 2019, so there is hope!

The NKC story for $65 is highly recommended. Fantastic sound quality and content. Best of the bunch. Won't be around forever!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Tim Lookingbill, CBackley and RSteven like this.
  18. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Ha Ha! I did miss that, so did you guys mix a version of Blueberry Hill? I actually would love to have that on vinyl for sentimental reasons.

19. Tim Lookingbill

Does it have the same sound quality of Steve Hoffman's mix/remaster on "Just One Of Those Things" album, heard on the YouTube vinyl versions Steve posted up thread?

CBackley likes this.
  20. CBackley

Oh yes!

Tim Lookingbill and RSteven like this.
  21. Tim Lookingbill

Why do these two's track samples sound identical and not like the YouTube vinyl samples Steve posted?

Acoustic Sounds

https://www.amazon.com/Nat-King-Col.../ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Why should I pay $ 65 for the Acoustic Sound version?

22. CBackley

RSteven likes this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

You mean this version...

Nat King Cole – The Nat King Cole Story (2013, Slipcase, SACD)

Any online sites that provides samples?

Just curious but why is it so difficult to find sound samples of Steve remastered versions of the same album while there are so many others that provide samples?

24. CBackley

Nat King Cole-The Nat King Cole Story-Hybrid 3-Channel Stereo SACD|Acoustic Sounds

Click the link for “Tracks” at the bottom. You can listen to samples galore. And then click the button to order it because it’s the best sounding collection of some of the best music ever. $65 is a steal.

RSteven likes this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Better. As I stated, best of the bunch.

Who cares what is on Youtube. You either want these or you don't. As others stated, read the reviews in this forum. These have been out for years and the SQ on all of them has been steadily reviewed as being fantastic.

The horse has left the barn - a long time ago.

Dave Garrett, RSteven and CBackley like this.