Abraxas - One step vs 50th Anniversay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewSlattery, Jul 11, 2021.

1. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've recently picked up the 50th Anniversary cut of Abraxas which is mastered by Kevin Gray. There's no official mention of it being AAA, but to me, it sounds absolutely ridiculous and not even 1% digital.

I'd love to know if anyone's A/B'd the two cuts who could give an honest comparison.

Jam757 and joshm2286 like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Not clear on what you're referring to as "ridiculous"...the sound quality or the fact that there's no indication of "AAA"......(?)

Ragged Glory and Tim 2 like this.
  3. AndrewSlattery

Ridiculous as in ridiculously good sounding

joshm2286 likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have a 70's original and the MFSL from about 10 years ago or so...for clarity, the 50th beats them both out (sorry..didn't mean to digress from your original question....this is one of my all time favorite albums and I couldn't resist chiming in).

joshm2286, Tim 2, Jon H. and 3 others like this.
  5. AndrewSlattery

Nice one! I'm surprised the 50th doesn't have more praise given how good it sounds, and how cheap it is!

DK Pete likes this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Are K. Gray’s initials on the dead wax?

7. AndrewSlattery

Yep. And it sounds magic! Very quiet vinyl too after I gave mine a big clean. Only negative was the cheap paper sleeve

Santana – Abraxas (2020, Vinyl)

hi_watt and DK Pete like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Tim 2, audiofool and AnalogJ like this.
  9. AndrewSlattery

I couldn't see any confirmation of digital or analogue in that thread?

10. Strat-Mangler

AAA is hyped whenever possible, firstly. This release is from Sony which very rarely deals with master tapes. I can't remember the last Sony reissue that used the master tapes.

Tim 2 and hi_watt like this.
  11. AndrewSlattery

Yep. From the looks of it they might have actually used old sundayzed plates for this.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If it sounds good, it sounds good. That’s the beginning and the end of my philosophy.

PdB73, A6mzero, tubesandvinyl and 4 others like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Still digital. You can go as far as contacting them yourself if you want confirmation. Sundazed always hypes it when it's AAA. On their website and the hype sticker.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This Kevin Gray cut has been available since December 2020. It’s the currently available @ $25-26 edition on Sony Legacy with the “5x Platinum” hype sticker, and is on Discogs as the 2020 release. There is no other version currently in print in the US.

I’m just posting this because suddenly my shop is getting questions on this when no one has ever asked before.

maui jim likes this.
  15. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member

Just a quickie -- how about best CD or SACD of Abraxas? I know MFSL has it on SACD, but.....

16. AndrewSlattery

I've got a really good needledrop of the OneStep, which is incredible for listening digitally in the car.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So I'm the first with a One Step ? Well, I've never heard Kevin's. :shrug:

18. AndrewSlattery

I just put the Kevin Gray cut on again. God damn it sounds incredible. It's definitely cut for big boy turntables too. I had to adjust my tracking force up to ensure it doesn't distort in the really hot parts.

19. Strat-Mangler

It's a digital record and it's been cut with a fat runout groove. Don't really see the challenge in tracking it properly.

If you want the version to get without spending 2Gs, get the ARS pressing which is what I have. I can attest that it sounds fantastic and there's even a comment from someone who states it gets pretty close to the 1-Step.

Santana – Abraxas (1997, 180 gram, Vinyl)

audiofool likes this.
  20. AndrewSlattery

Have you actually got the KG copy? It was definitely distorting in some parts of the first track for me until I adjusted my TF. Haven't really had any issues with any other records before, apart from maybe the AP Pet Sounds, which was also fixed by fiddling with the TF a little.

21. AndrewSlattery

According to someone on Discogs, it looks like the Sundayzed matrix info is actually wrong, and it's not the same matrix as this issue. So Kevin's done a fresh cut.

"Yes, someone has made an error and updated the Sundazed press matrix’s with the runouts from this press, but has made the ‘/‘ a ‘1’. Cohearant audio didn’t exist when that press was cut. This is album is not the same laquer, confirmed by someone with the sundazed which actually reads:

"Side 1: LP 5264-AS / P735218-AS AS-735218-REV-RE-1 WG/NRP (U)

Side 2: LP 5264-BS / P735218-BS REV-RE-1 BS-735218 WG/NRP (U)"

22. Strat-Mangler

Nope. I prefer my audiophile pressing when the tapes were actually used, 1/4 of a century ago when they were much fresher. The ARS pressing was highly recognized as being the go-to for this album prior to the 1-Step and the sole reason I didn't buy the 1-Step was because I hate getting up after 1-2 songs to flip a record. Kicking myself now because of its worth but it'd just get sold and I'd be spinning this instead... which I'm doing. Still a lovely album after all these years.

KG is a genius but there are limits as to what he can do. AFAIK, the ARS is the last AAA pressing (aside from the 1-Step) and all other pressings rely on hi-res files that were digitized who knows when, by what process, gear, etc. Already he's behind the 8-ball in terms of source material.

I'm supremely confident that the pressing I'm listening to currently will slay pretty much everything... aside from the 1-Step, of course. :D

23. AndrewSlattery

Ok... An what's your reference that this is digital? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to figure out how your so confident with your claims, even though you haven't actually listened to this cut?

24. Strat-Mangler

You haven't listened to the ARS so that nullifies that argument. We had this discussion before. You're dead-set into inventing that it's AAA even though there is not a single word or even insinuation anywhere from the manufacturer, Kevin, or anyone else associated with the project that it's AAA, Sony almost never allows for master tapes to be borrowed, and your "it sounds AAA" stance is thin at best (and I'm being kind). You're free to believe what you want, really. No skin off my nose. If you tap your feet when listening to it, that's a win in my book.

However, there's a reason the ARS commands at least $150 and up today. If you're going to argue that a $20 digital record can outclass an audiophile pressing with decades of high status in this hobby, I'm all ears but you'll need more than what you're bringing to be remotely convincing.

25. AndrewSlattery

I'm not trying to argue that it sounds better than your press. I'm just trying to figure out how you're justifying your comments? There aren't any hype stickers at all on the KG record. One would assume if you're going to pay Kevin to cut a 50th Anniversary cut of a classic album then you'd mention it somewhere?

Maybe buy the $20 record and then make an informed decision? The cheapest ARS is $200AUD, so I'm not really willing to spend that...

AnalogJ likes this.