Katla on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Borgia, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night Thread Starter

There is a show on Netflix called Katla that I just binged this weekend, and it was great. It's set in Iceland and deals with the impending eruption of a volcano by the same name. Set in a rural part of the country, the nearest small town has been mostly evacuated. A few of the locals as well as some scientific folks are staying around to keep an eye on things. It's a bleak setting to say the least. One day, at the scientific station on a glacier near the volcano, a naked woman covered in ash and mud comes walking down the glacier. She is taken to a small clinic in the town, where they discover she is a Swedish woman who had visited the town 20 years ago. Her appearance causes some consternation among the remaining locals, who remembered her. She hasn't aged a bit, she looks like she did 20 years ago. Someone calls Sweden and finds the same woman who had visited the area 20 years ago is living with her son. Who is this woman who appears out of nowhere?
    A local ambulance driver and her farmer husband, as well as her father, have also stayed behind. One day she finds a woman in a shed covered in ash and mud. It's her wilder, older sister who went missing and was presumed dead a year before, when the volcano first erupted. She can't say where she has been for a year. A geologist working at the glacier station is divorcing his wife. They lost a young son three years ago in an accident, and the rift caused by this has driven them apart. He finds his young son walking around the station one night, covered in mud and ash. Why are all these people (and others) all reappearing? They are Changelings, a copy of the other person, with all the memories the other person had. All are back for a reason, to serve a purpose. Some Changelings are evil, some aren't. Well done.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    unclefred likes this.
  2. Spoilers would be nice in your post since you provide a major reveal.

kanakaris likes this.
  3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yeah I was interested until he just gave it all away there at the end. We gotta be more careful about this stuff.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up ... I won't bother reading the o/p.

timind likes this.
  5. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night Thread Starter

Don't watch it then, I don't care.

6. Not the point. A new show common courtesy is to post spoiler tags for it especially if you are going to reveal a MAJOR conclusion. If this show had been out for a number of years where there was already a discussion, different story for me. I was interested in it but watching it and figuring out the plot points is part of the fun. It’s not about not watching it, it’s about not spoiling it for everyone else. You don’t reveal the entire plot of the series.

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I was watching it, slowly, but now since you revealed the whole plot what’s the point of watching the rest? Thanks for that. You clearly don’t get the idea of spoilers. All you had to do was recommend it as a good show. Instead you pull a ’tude.

JohnK

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I finished it last night…really enjoyed it. Of course I would have enjoyed it less if someone decided to spoil the ending.

Chris DeVoe and timind like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

people make mistakes out of excitement to share...I believe an honest mistake was made in spilling the beans so give some slack here...everybody is always so ready to pounce! geez...me? I'll still watch it.

smilin ed, unclefred and RickH like this.
  10. I don’t disagree which is why I suggested the spoiler tags. He could just as easily ask a abort to open the thread post back up so he could share them. Hey I’ve forgotten before but then I will go back and edit the post or ask if the thread can be deleted and put it up again. If he’s interested in fixing it-it’s a simple fix. I’m always happy to hear about new shows and don’t mind the basic plot being covered but the conclusion or major plot point is a big deal to me.

Lost In The Flood and Michael like this.
  11. Michael

lets see what happens...

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I'll give slack too, except when the response to being shown the possible errors of excitement is "I don't care."

JohnK

Lost In The Flood, timind and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

yes, but that may have been a defense response...that's a typical comment when one feels cornered.

14. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Won’t bother with the show anyway…subtitles, no thanks.

15. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

What's wrong with subtitles?

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I'm in, thanks for the tip.

17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That sounds like one to check out. Also, I don't see where you revealed the ending at all. Unless 'having a purpose' tells it all!'

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

You drop a bunch of spoilers then cop a snotty attitude--good job. I've seen it, by the way, so your spoilers didn't affect me, but still...

19. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

I've seen it, spectacular scenery is probably the biggest selling point.
    It's a bit slow and it borrows from French series The Returned ("Les Revenants"), just with a different setting.
    I think it has dubbed English available, for people who can't handle subtitles, but not 100% sure.

I've been to the wreckage of the US Navy C-117D plane, which featured in a scene from the show.
    1973 US Navy C-117D Sólheimasandur Crash - Wikipedia

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It’s a big world…not everything of quality is made in an English speaking country.

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  21. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Didn’t say it wasn’t quality, just said no thanks to having to read the dialogue. There are plenty of other options.

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I watched first episode in dubbed English and the next 2 in Icelandic/Swedish with English subtitles. I think the English dubbing is pretty good, but the Icelandic is cool to hear. The music by Högni Egilsson is dark, haunting and beautiful...just like Iceland.

unclefred likes this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm up to episode 5 and will say it's ok. Not sure why I did this, but when I read the OP, I only read a few sentences and jumped down to see the comments about spoiler. Like I said, not sure why I jumped, but glad I did.

unclefred likes this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looks good. There have been some great non-English language dramas on BBC 4 and Channel 4 over here and long may they continue.

25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I watched the first episode last night. It reminds me a bit of the first season of Fortitude and not just because it's in Iceland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.