Iron Maiden new album, "Senjutsu" - release date September 3, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah well if this next one is some kind of Biblical epic, good luck with that.

2. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

I always think I like Book of Souls but when I play it I find I can't really remember too much of it. Long songs and and the mush of a sound just seems to make it all blur into one for me.

Just a thought but ... rain or shine, man or beast, heaven or hell.... lost of dualities here. Double album... one of shorter faster songs, one of longer epics????

Whatever it is , just glad they are doing this now and not holding it off any longer.

primoridal_ooze and wdiv like this.
  3. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I enjoy BoS very much also, there are a ton of great songs on that album. The best thing about that dbl album is we got a lot of great songs.....Yes, I would love for them to move away from Caveman Shirley, he is not my ideal candidate for mixing, he has a knack for too much compression, he can squeeze the life out of a song.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

And on this album even the treble was squeezed out….

Metalrob and Catcher10 like this.
  5. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

This proves they can still do great short songs when they want to.
    A Janick co-write but reminiscent of their 80’s golden years.

Rockhead likes this.
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Bruce's invitation video was great and Im so hyped up over this whole thing anyways. That nails it and confirms the initial clues and rumours of 15th july announcement.
    It's been great thing to follow these clues, hints, sightning, rumours and things being revealed. Can hardly wait for the new songs and stuff they have prepared for us.
    I've always loved Maiden and like all their albums, but TBOS was such a masterpiece and so it will be truly interesting to hear the new material. Up The Irons!
    I will post any worthwhile stuff here if anything comes up..

Purple and Ron2112 like this.
  7. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

It will be so disappointing if Maiden can’t tour the new album.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

4 days to go

9. Ghost of Ziggy

Yeah, probably more to do with the producer (not clipping the longer songs I mean).

10. obi

obi Forum Resident

I have a feeling that it’s actually the “co-producer” who’s really calling the shots.
    A certain mr. Steve Harris…

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

British Lion shows that Harry is still capable of doing good, short songs.

I have nothing against Iron Maiden, or anyone else doing 'epics'. Whole albums of them though, especially when served with no shorter pallette cleansers, can be a slog though.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

I agree, the length of The Red & The Black on the last album was bordering ridiculous.

primoridal_ooze and MikeManaic61 like this.
  13. obi

obi Forum Resident

I agree and I find it really frustrating because I think it’s a great track… for the first 8 minutes! But then it just keeps on going for 5 minutes more that’s just repeating what we’ve already heard.

14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I hope they actually got feedback and applied this to their new album. They really need someone that challenges them or step in to tell them "No"!.

primoridal_ooze and obi like this.
  15. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

16. obi

obi Forum Resident

That would be great but I’m not holding my breath :)
    I still enjoyed the last album but like you say, they really need to self edit.

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

The sands of time are running low...only 3 days and it's getting closer.

obi likes this.
  18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I don't think the long tune is the problem its the the arrangement between the numbers. Poor Bruce singing the same line a dozen times for example is.
    The same formula over and over with the soft bits song after song is.
    Anyway , at the very least I always look forward to seeing what the new Eddie is going to look like.
    I was stoked when Eddie went to outer space but for the most part got bored with Frontier pretty quick.
    If Life and Death had been trimmed and better production it would be a masterpiece imo.
    Maybe the announcement is really Maiden Japan finally getting a release of the full show. :)

primoridal_ooze and Anthrax like this.
  19. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Would be a cool theme for a new (concept) album and also for a new tour production / setlist. They could add songs from Powerslave to enhance the ancient history theme (Egypt, Greece and especially Persia) and finally bring "Alexander The Great" to the stage. During the encore they can do some classics and Bruce can play with his flamethrower!

20. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

That’s a pretty direct re-write of a song from Dance of Death which is on the tip of my tongue. Least it’s not a 30th re-write of Fear of the Dark I guess.

21. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

New Frontier maybe?

22. Kim Olesen

For me(!) that song epitomizes everything i find amiss about that album.

Intro ok fine.
    Then a verse.
    Then something i think is either the bridge or a chorus.
    Ahh ok yet a section with vocals, that must be the chorus then.
    Wait it was another bridge, then this new section must be the chorus.
    WTF ok this new bit has to be the chorus then? Or is it a post chorus, and one of the preceeding sections was really the chorus?

Nothing stands out. Just one long sausage of not so fine production and not so fine songwriting as IM are otherwise clearly capable off.

Shave 2 sections out of that first 1:40 minutes. Make the guitars tight. Put harmony vocals, or synths, or clean guitars or just something on whatever the chorus is, so it stands out. Just DO something.

And clearly Bruce is struggling. Why wasn’t he given a month in the studio, so he could nail the vocals, instead of sounding like his voice is in the verge of giving in?

I know why. Because the album is just a product they need to get out, so they can tour it.

I know, a bit harsh, hope i didn’t step on anyones feet.

23. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Emphasis mine.

Sadly, that really sums up everything post reunion for me (though some of the music itself is excellent).

Metalrob and Kim Olesen like this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Though i found BNW (on all accounts) to be top shelf IM. Every bit as good as their classic run.

25. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I much preferred Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, and Silicon Messiah, but BNW had its moments (for me, not nearly in the same league as the first seven albums, but some great songs all the same).

Kim Olesen likes this.