DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by three_paws, Jul 11, 2021.

1. three_paws

three_paws deleted account Thread Starter

Curious what DACs folks are using. I'm mostly a vinyl guy, but I have 2 externals that I use for streaming. I'm not floored by either, though I really like both for different reasons (DACMagic and Pro-Ject S2). My favorite phono cart is the Olympia, FWIW--I like that it's warm and energetic without being overly refined. Would be curious to hear if anyone has experience with a DAC that has a similar sonic signature.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    mikeyt and jesterthejedi like this.
  2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Border Patrol SE-i. I love it! To use a cliche, it’s very analog sounding.

BilboAlaska, dj_w, Drew769 and 4 others like this.
  3. three_paws

That's kinda what I'm after. Thanks!

Drew769 and Art K like this.
  4. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I have my Marantz CD6007 with internal dac and a Audio-GD R2R 11 as an external dac and I'm really enjoying going from one to the other for different music.
    The R2R 11 definitely fulfils the warm /energetic thing and no one could accuse it of being refined.

5. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Forum Resident

I’ve got an Ifi Zen Signature and Ifi Nano. Used to have an AudioEngine D1 but I sold it. Happy with both my Dacs they sound great and didn’t cost an arm+leg. One sits by the TV and does living room audio duties and the second is in my bedroom with my stack of components. The Zen handles the Mac/iPad/iPhone’s audio.

three_paws likes this.
  6. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Chord Mojo.

three_paws likes this.
  7. Salparadise

Salparadise Forum Resident

You need to read the Denafrips thread. There’s a wealth of info, comparisons, reviews of many brands. Lots of love for Denafrips of course.
    Denafrips Dacs

8. three_paws

Thanks!

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The somewhat new Cary Audio DMS 700, a network player, has an interesting DAC that pairs AKM 4499EQ switched resistor (current output) chip with FPGA. I've been impressed. Of course, a hi end DAC is mostly an analog component, which I'd expect Cary to do ok with, but I'd wager that the digital in this unit was designed by a partner in Hong Kong or Japan, etc.

Tawaun A Williams and three_paws like this.
  10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

This one has been getting good reviews: Holo May DAC review on YouTube

three_paws likes this.
  11. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

LH Labs Geek Pulse (upgraded and custom components) and a couple of LH Labs Geek Out dacs also customized and upgraded.

three_paws likes this.
  12. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Suggest put an Exogal Comet DAC on the list - very analogue, tonally neutral, accurate, non fatiguing and a superb soundstage - it has a beguiling quality that let's me forget about the kit and focus on the music.

Its connected to stream Qobuz and Spotify 320 via USB from a dedicated laptop, and also via AES and RCA (each has its own SQ - use amp switch) from a Primare CD32 used as a transport.

Have seen some s/h ads in US for the Comet plus PSU at circa $1k - an absolute bargain!

Guy Gadbois and three_paws like this.
  13. three_paws

Thanks, folks!

jesterthejedi likes this.
  14. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

I love digital, CDs and DACs. At the moment I have 4 DACs and find all of the absolutely amazing. In order from cheapest to most expensive: Bel-cant DAC 1, Audio Not DAC one 1x Signature, mhdt Labs Atlantis and Audial S4.

The bel0Canto Dac1 appears on the second hand market often at around 300usd...I can't imagine a better value option. It sounds warm and a little rounded off on the extremes, not energetic.

The Audio Note Dac one 1x Signature sells on the second hand market around 400 to 700 usd. It's a little rough on the edges and definitely more energetic than the Bel Canto. It's one of the less boring DACs that I ve tried. It shows the differences in CDs and sources like no other. You change the source and you get a completely different sound.

The mhdt Atlantis DAC is probably the best option for viny lovers and you can get it new for 850usd. It has the best sound stage I ve heard from digital, it's super versatile with 4 different inputs and playing around with tubes is great fun. The only issue is that it injects a little too much of it's signature showing less difference in tonality between sources and CDs. It doesn't mean that everything sounds the same but it's own sound signature is there at all times.

The Audial S4 is impressive on its own. It is less midrange centric than the others, less coloured than the mhdt, less rough that the Audio Note but it cost substantially more...and it's by far the most energetic albeit more neutral than warm.

Other dac worth checking for vinyl lovers is the Abbas Audio...I ve never heard one but the design is intriguing to say the least.

Abbasaudio — Официальный сайт

Roar, iggyd, JayNYC and 4 others like this.
  15. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

My Audio GD R2R-1 is arriving tomorrow, which will complement my Black Ice GlassFX DSD Wifi Delta-sigma tube DAC (mod'd bt Radu Tarta). I find the Black Ice to sound wonderful but have been really curious to try an R2R DAC. Underwood Wally is a big fan of the Audio GD stuff, and a local friend got the R2R-8mk2 and loves it.

If I don't love the R2R-2, I will try the Border Patrol next for certain. I heard it at a friend's and it was really nice through a Line Magnetic SET amp with Omega speakers (the same setup I have).

-Chris

luckyno13, Art K and three_paws like this.
  16. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

Aside from additional features one might wish, I see no reason to spend more than the $99 it takes to buy a Schiit Modi.

jek57, Scratcha, jeffsab and 3 others like this.
  17. three_paws

Plenty of sonic difference between DACs, so it's not just about features.

SoCalUser, bdfin, vinnn and 3 others like this.
  18. three_paws

Anyone have any experience with Bifrost 2/Gungnir?

19. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Creek dac 60 amazingly good

arcamsono and three_paws like this.
  20. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

To the extent there are sonic differences, they're the result of distortion and other nonidealities.

If you are looking for more distortion of the audio signal, you're looking for something different from what I am. The Modi is essentially sonically perfect.

arcamsono likes this.
  21. three_paws

Alritey. I'll throw away my DACs.

FloriduhBoy, I333I, quicksrt and 6 others like this.
  22. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Been using an RME ADI-2 for bout 3 years now, and see no reason to upgrade. It is neutral and doesn't call attention to itself. It seems to jive with my all tube system. I love the ADI-2 small form factor too, as I'm out of room on my rack.

timind and three_paws like this.
  23. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Please post opinions of the Audio GD R1 once it's settled in.

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Chord Qutest. It's very detailed, has a huge sound stage, and is not sterile sounding.

MonkeyTennis, russk and three_paws like this.
  25. three_paws

Really curious about that one! How is the bass? Do you know how it compares to Bifrost 2 or Ares II? (I'm trying to stay under $1k, so that's why I keep coming back to those two.)