Vintage Vinyl, N.J.’s premier record store, closing after 42 years

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by elgoodo, Jun 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Friend of mine stopped there yesterday and he said quite a bit was gone. Walls were fairly empty and bins were combed over as well. I still may take a ride up there just to go one more time.

Two Sheds and bmh5879 like this.
  2. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the most part, things that were so overpriced, they remain so - even with the discount.

bmh5879 likes this.
  3. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

This sums up why VV was never one of my regular stops, despite living most of my life in New Jersey.

bmh5879 likes this.
  4. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I’m probably gonna stop over Saturday morning. I was searching their website and they seem to have a few things in stock that I might be interested in but feel at 30% off still aren’t knockout prices. Just want to go one last time.

Two Sheds and DME1061 like this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I just got back from there........bought 6 CDs.

For CDs, it's not quite slim pickings yet, but starting to thin out. The 30% off was good enough for me. I remember from past experience (Tower) when it hits 50% or more, I don't see much I want.

In addition to the 30% off, I hit (for the last time) my store account $10 off of every $200 spent.

I'll try to get there once more in a few weeks. Gonna miss the place.

Two Sheds and DME1061 like this.
  6. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. Going to try and get there tomorrow or Monday.

7. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Went there early this afternoon. Dug through all of the new vinyl and didn’t find anything. The 2 things I considered were either cheaper or similarly priced on Amazon (Goat’s Head 4LP and Summerteeth Deluxe) so I passed.

The used vinyl in the bins is still pretty full which is probably because most of it is priced at lest 30% higher than it needs to be in the first place. I picked up 1 used LP.

I also picked up 2 new CDs that weren’t crazy good deals but cheaper than I’ve seen. They were both recent releases.

I didn’t have time to go through used CDs.

They’re really gonna have to come down to 50% off to start moving and put a dent in the new CD section, and most likely the same with used vinyl. When they do that I may stop in again but most likely not.

Glad o got there again. I’ll always remember that place as per as my NJ experience when I move.

Two Sheds likes this.
  8. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I was nearby, so I went to Vintage Vinyl once more this afternoon just to get my $10 off bonus from my store account for the last time. I picked up five more albums, but couldn't find much for my target groups for today (The Who, Moody Blues, Rolling Stones, Hollies, Kinks, Beach Boys, Byrds).

No reason for me to go back now - there isn't much left that interests me.

bmh5879 likes this.
  9. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

How were the new CDs looking? Still mostly full? I am hoping the get down to 50% on those. Most of those at 30% off are not a deal if you have Prime or don't mind buying NM used online.

Two Sheds likes this.
  10. Two Sheds

The new release CDs rack is starting to empty out. I only looked at it briefly, but there wasn't as much as when I went last week (obviously). I was trying to beat traffic on Route 1 to get home (it was nearly 4 PM), so I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked.

I mostly only looked through Classic Rock - not very much I didn't already have. No Moodies studio albums at all, two copies of the most recent Who album (no other studio records), a few early Hollies albums left, no Byrds studio albums (except Preflyte compilations), and not much I wanted by the other groups I was looking for. It's not as crowded as it was a week ago at this time, so checkout is quicker than it was.

11. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. I have a feeling I won't be getting back there. I mean I went through a lot of the store and only walked away with 3 items on Saturday! It doesn't seem unreasonable that they will be closing the doors within a few weeks as everything empties out. I wonder if they will get aggressive with their discount in the next week or so.

Two Sheds likes this.
  12. Two Sheds

If they do, I'm sure I'll get an email about it. I can post an update here if and when that message comes.

bmh5879 likes this.
  13. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Yeah I always thought it was overpriced too. Didn't care to go there much because of that.

14. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Reading most of previous posts I just realized that what may work for one person can't possibly work for another.
    I was in VV twice, first time out of curiosity and maybe a month later when I just happened to be in the area. Did not see anything worth buying - prices considerably higher than in NYC, no imports (which usually means that they sell all the good stuff online) and the fact that you not even allowed to check used records by yourself really bugged me.
    Oh, I forgot to tell that it was about 5-6 years ago. I doubt that since then anything got better there because in my experience, with time and "vinyl renaissance" going on, things usually get worse every year. Anyway, back then I could find much better deals in Manhattan and Brooklyn stores and I believe it still the same today.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  15. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

That’s a total dealbreaker. I have this image of folks that insisted on checking used vinyl condition being met at the front counter with Jersey Attitude.

God bless PREX.

bmh5879 likes this.
  16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I checked them myself all the time. Exactly one time, ever, did an employee say anything to me about it. I replied "I know what I'm doing" and he backed off and didn't bother me any more.

17. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I bought one used LP last weekend and didn't bother to check it - got home and had hairline scratches and fingerprints all over it. Much more like VG+. If it's not thrashed like the budget LPs in the back of the store they considered it NM/M.

10 years they seemed more accurately graded but more recently they were very off.

18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Once was enough for me....overpriced. At even 50% off I'd buy nothing.

19. Two Sheds

I got the email for the 50% off sale this morning.

EVERYTHING MUST GO!

50% OFF

ALL VINYL LPS, SINGLES,

CDS, MOVIES AND MORE

ALSO AVAILABLE FOR SALE

FIXTURES, TABLES, EQUIPMENT,

OFFICE FURNITURE AND SUPPLIES

20. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Just got that email. Unfortunately probably will not be able to get there this week. Has anyone been there recently to report on inventory?

21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I hadn't been in to see Randy in years but decided to get over there after seeing this post. So happy to hear from him that after 8 lean years, the Man Cave is in the black. Picked up a few books and magazines as well as a nice Terra Haute pressing of the self titled Humble Pie lp.
    Makes me laugh to think how the Man Cave preceded Latte Larry's as a spite store... opened it up after a falling out with the couple that runs the Record Collector... just in case anyone was wondering why there was a need for 2 record stores on the same street in a small town in New Jersey... although the Man Cave is a bit more than just records and the original Man Cave was around the corner from where he is now.

22. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I had a feeling Randy had a beef with the Record Collector. I visited 2 years ago and he asked if I went to the other record store. I said yes and then he asked if the guy there "spoke to me" haha...I said well he wasn't very friendly but it's not like he was rude. I have only been to the Record Collecto twice. First time was 10 years ago and when I think about what I got that day and what I spent, it would probably cost me 5x that today. Because when I went 2 years ago I only left with 1 CD and 1 $1 45.

Randy had some cool New Wave/80s alternative stuff that day but prices prevented me from buying more.

The local NJ record stores make it easy to want to just shop online if I'm being honest. Unless you want used CDs, then Jack's and Prex are pretty good. I was in Jack's yesterday but with my 2 year old so I was quick and only managed to buy a new release I wanted.

23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I always found John and Sue of the Record Collector to be delightful. I haven't been there in years.

24. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

went to vintage today with the 50% off. I'd say the inventory is 70% gone. I did get Neil Young Archives II box on cd for $87 there were a few left, and some Wilco Summerteeth 4 cd box sets for $25

bmh5879 likes this.
  25. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

That's what I remember from 10 years ago but I was honestly in and out kind of quickly last time . I just think Randy just was hoping I'd say "oh yeah that guy was a dick!". I thought it was a strange question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.