Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Complete tracklist on post #244

2. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I see that, but the font is so small so I'm trying to confirm that what I'm reading is correct (incomplete show in box set. Complete show on vinyl). If that's the case, major fail!

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

This is great proof of why I have said for ages that Steve Howe is just not a nice guy and he is very difficult to work with. I've met most of the members of the band many times and Steve was just not a pleasant person at all. The other guys in the band were really nice and friendly. I do feel bad for Peter Banks after watching this video.

jammincrowe and ausamerika like this.
  4. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

July 30, 2021 new release date? Anyone know if they expanded the box set beyond 24 cds and 6 dvds? Thanks!

apple-richard likes this.
  5. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

So now it looks like you can get the download that comes with vinyl for free by signing up for an email list: Yes - Union 30 - Yes Union 30 Vinyl Box Set Downloads

Good news is that you can grab the complete Union tour setlist along with a couple of rehearsal tracks I n .wav or mp3 in sound quality comparable (albeit slightly worse to my ears) to the earlier Union Live set. There is FLAC listed, but I wasn’t able to access it from my browser. The bad news is that the files require a fair amount of tagging work and there is a huge section of silence at the end of “Rhythm of Love” that you will want to snip off with Audacity to make the file usable. Also, “And You And I” is shortened. But if you want an audio download of just the main feature of the box without all the packaging, it’s hard to beat “free”.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Nice bit of information.

Waiting for the flight case and hoping it actually shows up on release day instead of a week or two later.

7. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Did Steve really have that kind of authority on the Union tour? Weren’t he, Bruford and Wakeman guests? Sad tale cause that would have been cool

8. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I’d be fine with a double disc set.

9. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

What Steve Howe did to make sure that Peter Banks did not play at that Yes show even though he was invited. If you scroll up you will see the link and Peter Banks tells the story and after hearing that I have lost all my respect for Steve Howe. Look Yes is my favorite band and It greatly saddens me when you hear about things that band members have done. So below is a link in case you didn't watch the whole thing. I don't know if Howe, Bruford and Wakeman were considered guests. I highly doubt it as I'm sure they all received equal pay from the tour they did. I still regard Steve Howe as an amazing guitarist and what is really sad is that he and Jon wrote so many great songs together but for some reason he wants absolutely nothing to do with Jon. He was fine with Jon during the 2002-2004 tour then Jon became ill and the guys decided to hire a singer from a Yes tribute band and move on without Jon. I know that Alan still keeps in touch with Jon but Steve can't even look Jon in the eye. That really says something about a person. I mean at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame why couldn't Steve be polite and just say hello to Jon? He didn't have to have any discussion with him but instead Steve did everything to stay away as far as he could from Jon. Steve didn't have any eye contact with anyone during the performance and went out of his way to name the players in the current lineup of Yes. Those players had absolutely nothing to do with Yes receiving the award. Like I said as the years have gone by Steve has become grumpier with each year that passes. You couldn't pay me enough money to go see the current lineup of Yes. I have a personal issue with Downes that he personally screwed me with something so I have zero respect for him. Below is the link again and I urge fans that haven't seen this to watch it. It's absolutely brutal what Steve Howe did to Peter Banks.

10. reddyempower

Thank you I watched and it was not pleasant. Damn shame

Scottb and ausamerika like this.
  11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I'm not ENTIRELY sure it's a sign of being a jerk to think "hmmm in our high ticket show for our precise prog band, do we WANT a third guitarist who admits he had no feel or knowledge of the songs and did no rehearsing to get on stage in front of 20K people and do....whatever?"

This is no jam band or rockers running thru Johnny B Goode or whatever. I have no idea WHY Banks thinks some claim to money would arise from sitting in on an encore on songs he didn't write or record, but that story did not make me go awww poor Banks and darn you Howe you jerk! (especially the "so I heckled them from my special guest spot near their loved ones" detail.....) Not that I wouldn't have been hurt/angry had I been Banks then. But still.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    ledsox, Scottb, JimW and 1 other person like this.
  12. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I think Bank’s point in the video though is that they invited him. He was invited to the party and had the door slammed on his face when he rang the doorbell. Which is really never polite.

ARK and Scott the Zip like this.
  13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

First, I'm not apologizing for Steve's perceived behavior or anything at all like that because I wasn't there. And I don't know the truth. But I always question a one-sided story with plenty of secondhand information. I've seen this interview a bunch of times and there's a few things that still bother me about it.

This story was originally in Yes Stories: Yes In Their Own Words by Tim Morse, which was a collection of interviews with the (at the time) 12 members of Yes.

Peter's story (from an interview from 1994) is mostly the same except that he said Tony Kaye asked him if he'd be interested in making an appearance. Peter said he'd only appear "if we didn't make a big deal about it". We have 1 member of the band asking if he'd be interested in appearing. He then also got Trevor Rabin's blessing. - But what bothers me about his answer is that "I'll only appear if we don't rehearse". Well, right there he's painting himself into a corner. You already have 8 people on stage and you're only going to do it on your own conditions? - The story goes on pretty much the same, 10 minutes before the show, someone tells him "Steve doesn't want you to play".

Incidentally, Steve is interviewed in the book about this (also in 1994) and he is surprised to hear it and says that he was never asked. He goes on to say he's absolutely sure he wouldn't have said "no". He mentions there was talk about having Peter, Trevor Horn, Geoff & Patrick join for an occasion and everyone, including himself, was on board for that, but nothing ever came of it.

So was an excuse made by management or someone else that Steve didn't want him there, to stop Peter coming on stage unrehearsed? Did Steve really say something like "Peter's a threat, no way!" and kept him from playing. Or was the truth somewhere in between? Honestly, I bet it was something much looser, like Tony invited Peter, mentioned to some of the Yes camp, who said "yeah, that sounds fun" and at the last minute someone told Steve, "Peter Banks is going to play on 'Roundabout'" and Steve said something like "no way, we didn't rehearse that, not on my song, have him play on 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'", "but we already played that Steve!", "well too bad, we could have worked this out in advance at soundcheck!" (Again, totally just a random possible speculation, there is no proof or anything that it went anything like that)

And honestly most of this discussion was probably handled with managers... I mean, anyone who has dealt with this type of thing can see by using logic that it should have never happened at all. It was a nightmare just getting the 8 of them to play together and tour and you're going to throw a guy on stage who hadn't played on any of the songs they were about to play originally and go on last minute with no rehearsal at an arena show? - I know The Allman Brothers Band and the likes would be totally for this, but we're talking about a group of 8 individuals who could hardly communicate to begin with. It just wasn't going to happen with the haphazard plan Peter talks about in these interviews. Steve Howe or no Steve Howe.

I'm not putting it past Steve to have said "no" and be grumpy about it, but I wouldn't put it past most of the guys in the band to have some issue with this. Steve right now is the devil in Yes world and I'm not saying I don't understand that or that he doesn't deserve it, but what I don't understand is all the forgotten times Jon, Rick & Chris all had their equal share of being impossible and uncompromising, some of it fairly recently. It's a mess dealing with this group of people and their managers. And there's 12+ sides to these stories.

And I know people are going to have a problem with my comments, but I just can't see this as 100% valid. And I'd like to point out (and I am a fan of Peter Banks by the way, the first two Yes albums are excellent), that Peter seems to have a HUGE issue with anything Steve Howe ever did in that book. Any time anything comes up, he hates what Steve did. Also according to Peter he started playing and writing "Roundabout" with the band before Steve joined. It's just one of those things.

lucan_g, ledsox, samskeyti and 6 others like this.
  14. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I agree with PhoffiFozz assessment. I did grant Banks had right to feel hurt---but the villains, if we believe his story, the offenders, are Tony and Trev for making him think it was a fine done deal, if everyone else didn't sign off---and the arrangement of "old members sits in on songs he never played and doesn't rehearse" I should think would be a nonstarter for any member in this Union lineup who cared about quality.

If the original five could have REHEARSED and played some track Banks was actually originally on and did that as a special treat once---that would have been worth it for musicians AND fans. Adding a random third gtr part to Roundabout and "some other song" on the fly? Nah.

ledsox and PhoffiFozz like this.
  15. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

It did? I liked their show in Cincy. Yeah, it was a bit clinical and clean, but I now attribute that to the digital infancy of the time.

The album Union...that SUCKS!

16. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Funny I liked the album more than the tour! Maybe because I've seen all 8 of them in their element before in happier years for Yes. This tour had a class reunion feel to it. Fun but not for everyone I liked the ABWH tour much better it seemed more like Howe and Bruford were more into it

Fred1 and Mang like this.
  17. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I emailed Gonzo asking whether the slow boat from China has also effected the release of the vinyl set. I'd assumed that wasn't being made in China. My reply was this....

"The vinyl is due mid August and won't be coming from China! However due to Covid etc vinyl production has been delayed by 8 months (this order was placed in January!)"

So don't get too excited just yet! :)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. reddyempower

Thank you, just grabbed it.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. FarcicalEpiphany

Shoreline….complete. Not the edit.

ARK, trumpet sounds and footlooseman like this.
  20. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Got it too, thank you for this @FarcicalEpiphany, very much appreciated!
    Impossible to access flac flies for me too but got the wav.
    Can anyone confirm that Hold On isn't on the download list?

21. FarcicalEpiphany

“Hold On” was only played early on the tour and then dropped. I think it only exists on audience recording boots and was definitely not played at Shoreline.

ARK likes this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

They played "Hold On" in Denver, so it's on the pro-shot video in stereo, and therefore it ought to be on the new box set. It was included on the DVD with the deluxe 2011 Gonzo Union Live.

ARK and trumpet sounds like this.
  23. FarcicalEpiphany

Doh…I forgot Denver, probably because I only ever play the shorter boot of that show with the better mix. The full length version has a weird monitor mix, not as bad as something like QPR, but off enough that I’m inclined to reach for other Union recordings first.

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I saw this tour in Michigan, and it was fantastic.

25. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Thank you both for your help. I assumed that the download replicated the four LP - which I would love to have but atm the price is too steep for me.

Having said that, a free download is awesome! :pineapple: