Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Reprobatemind

Reprobatemind Forum Resident

That's exactly what I thought when I heard the (probably incorrect) title. Then I reflected on the fact that, in The Producers, Springtime For Hitler was specifically designed to be a commercial flop, and then I though that if Bob was going down that route he'd just put out a box set focusing on Down In The Groove and the preceding tour with the Dead - BLS16 "Dead Groovy" (Sony - you can have that one for free)

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

And it would be a massive seller! :D

GarySteel likes this.
  3. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Thanks for the update. This sounds great to me. I read the Gans book and enjoyed it but 5 discs of Infidels versus using Infidels as the center piece and stretching on both sides sounds terrific. Can’t wait regardless but this nugget has me more excited.

The Bard likes this.
  4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yeah. Well Jeff didn’t ask me either but if he DID I’d say: title the next set: The Murdock Files :winkgrin:

— David

Sean Murdock likes this.
  5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, there are tons of people who are more knowledgeable about Dylan than I am, but I do have a knack for passionately begging for strange niche projects. :thumbsup:

DmitriKaramazov and mrjinks like this.
  6. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

where i
    thanks for the info. do you know if it's going to be a September release as indicated?

timnor likes this.
  7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks very much for that info. Great news in my book. I'm glad this set is covering an extended period rather than just Infidels. Looking forward to lots of hidden gems. I hope this set allows us to reassess this period.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Apparently, yes.

10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

those fanzines always had it right.
    probably Carla Rotolo was producing the 1o lp project.

11. mojo filter

mojo filter Forum Resident

I'd been assuming it was strictly Infidels, but I'm glad to see the time period expanded. We'll get a more balanced picture of the Shot of Love sessions, and we'll see what they can salvage from Empire Burlesque. I'd be interested in finding out if Knocked Out Loaded could be redeemed too, but that seems like another story.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  12. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

You're not! I'm glad we have an unadorned version and can appreciate that adding overdubs to a five year-old studio recording can feel kind of archivally insincere, but over time these kinds of curiosities become canonical in their own right and -- side by side, not considering any of the history -- I think the O'Brien version just sounds better. It's more dynamic, has more color to it, and causes the melodic qualities of the song to pop better than the undoctored arrangement. Oh Mercy was always a record that shone in part because of how those songs were sparkled up in the studio anyway, so I always tend to think of the O'Brien arrangement as just doing to the song the same thing Lanois would have done to it if it had made the final running order. (At least, that's how it always feels to me when listening.)

Looking very forward to this new set. That it is to stretch both ways beyond Infidels is awesome news. The early '80's is one of my very favorite Dylan periods, so the chance for the other side of that coin (i.e. the non-religious material) to be represented here is pretty tantalizing to me, even more so than the Infidels material (though I'm excited to see what they unearth from that batch too). Thanks for all the updates :)

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I love the original, swampy "Dignity" as it was recorded for Oh Mercy -- it fits in great in my expanded playlist -- but as an attempt to keep a then-dormant Bob relevant for mid-90s rock radio, I thought the O'Brien re-working was very good. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio, and the DJ was like, "We've got a brand new Dylan song, and it's rockin'!" I was all excited to hear it, and was shocked to hear an OLD song (that I knew from the Oh Mercy boots) dressed up in new music. Still sounded great, though.

ExHead likes this.
  14. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

"Rumors that the figure 10 is designed to be two more than Neil Young's planned set of out-takes..."

:laughup:

Finishing the sentence: "...which is due out in 2009 at the earliest!"

keef285 and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I heard "Dignity" on the radio, too. Coming home from a November 1994 Bob show in Gainesville, GA, we were just hitting the city limits of Macon, GA, when it came on the radio. Seems like only yesterday!

Floater and Sean Murdock like this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Hmm. That”spokesman” seems oddly familiar...

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. clothes line sage

clothes line sage Forum Resident

Mbd77, I'm not doubting that your pre-release predictions have come true on occasion, but since you were praising your track record a few pages back I thought I'd share a couple of your posts here before the release of the 14-disc Rolling Thunder set.

I remember there were others, in addition to these, claiming that it was not going to be 14 discs and that leaked information confirming that number may be mistaken.

shadow blaster likes this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

and your point is?

As I’ve said - repeatedly - I don’t work for Sony. I’m not an information service on Bob Dylan. Sometimes I don’t have all the information or might get it wrong or might hear something different. I’ve always said that.

You’ve been a bit selective there - I was also the first person to mention that the live 1975 box was even going to happen. :rolleyes:
    Also I think the first to mention ‘The Cutting Edge’, even giving away the number of discs, the 1966 box set, the Blood On The Tracks box and others before I was on this forum.
    I was the first person to mention the Live ‘75 2cd set on a message board in 2002 only to be called a hoaxer. :rolleyes:

It’s not ‘on occasion’ either - the stuff I’ve posted on here about forthcoming Dylan releases for the last 10 years or so has been by far the most consistently accurate of anyone anywhere on the internet, matched only by Keef285.

Floater, kuddukan, redsock and 15 others like this.
  19. clothes line sage

clothes line sage Forum Resident

That's fair enough.

I had formed the impression, clearly a mistaken one on my part, that you felt your Dylan posts were based on reliable insider information and that they were always accurate. I was merely pointing out, as you have accepted, that this isn't the case.

Percy Song likes this.
  20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

When people was speculating about a 1970s box set:

No, that’s not what I’m saying. My sources are 100% reliable and proven to be accurate.
    What I’m saying is I’m a ‘friend’ to people who know. I have a job and life away from Bob Dylan. I might get a message 6 months in advance, or somewhere in a passing conversation. It might be “we’re planning an Infidels box next” or it might be more specific: “It’s a 5 disc set” or something like that. Occasionally I might get to hear a track. On a couple of occasions, I’ve seen a proposed tracklist before release date. Things can and do change in that time, so there’s always a bit of speculation, and if there’s information that comes out from elsewhere then I’ll usually say something like “that’s not what I’ve heard” but if my info turns out to be inaccurate, fair enough, but it’ll always be on the right track. I said this was an ‘Infidels’ box set coming next, and despite people saying different, it turns out I was pretty close to the mark. Others were saying an Empire Burlesque remix and stuff like that.
    I’ve never said it’s authoritative, but I will say you won’t find more consistently accurate info anywhere else apart from myself and Keef285.

If either of us say it on here, you can bet we’re on the right track.

UMO, kuddukan, tstrapac and 15 others like this.
  21. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

jesus you people are something else huh?

the guy provides all sorts of useful information, admitting when he is slightly wrong in some cases and someone goes back and highlights posts from years ago and then says "ahem, i was mistaken in thinking that you were reliable."

@Mbd77 , i appreciate ya!

UMO, piepants, kuddukan and 34 others like this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I’d also point out that last time, with the “Travellin Thru” set, I was provided with no information at all, and said as much on here or privately to people who asked. You won’t find a pre-emptive comment from me on this forum regarding that release.

I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t given any advance info on that one. I think I only found out a week or so before it was announced. I don’t know why but I suspect, when you look at the physical production, that the time taken on this project was shorter than some of the others, hence less chatter in advance.

23. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

24. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

wow, we need to get this summer behind us ... autumn always brings out the best releases.

cable hogue likes this.
  25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The suggestion that this will be 5 CDs is interesting considering that their standard template for the deluxe sets has been 6 CDs for many of the previous sets.

Given that they are apparently covering a 5 year period, I'd have thought they wouldn't have had any problems filling 6 CDs.

shadow blaster likes this.