Katla on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Borgia, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I love the Icelandic…makes me want to learn it. Of course I won’t because I am lazy but for one fleeting moment I was about to learn Icelandic! :laugh:

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

There's all kinds of interesting info on the real volcano...here's live seismic activity.

Mýrdalsjökull

Katla central volcano has a 100 km² caldera. The upper parts are covered by the 600 km² Mýrdalsjökull ice cap (400-700 m thick). Geothermal fields in the caldera are expressed as cauldrons in the surface of the ice.

[​IMG]

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Icelandic and Swedish people speak English to each other (in case you didn’t try subtitles). I prefer subtitles when characters speak their native languages.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yeah I'm the only one at my house watching it, so people were a little confused when it went from Icelandic to English while they were in the room. I noticed a scene in Episode 7(?) where the subtitle said [In English] but they were speaking in Icelandic. I had to stop it and see what I missed.

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

When that other Icelandic volcano, Eyjafjallajokull, erupted in 2010 it caused all sorts of flight disruptions. There were people in my office who were stranded in Sweden for weeks.

Johnk

timind likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

They are saying that when Katla decides to erupt it will be far worse.

timind likes this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Eyjafjallajokull, Schiit's new top-of-the-line dac.;)

I finished the series two nights ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it and suggested it to my daughter. Her rationale for not watching it is, none of the actors are attractive. :doh:

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I finished it last night and really liked it. I don't know if I want to see more of it, but I'd like to see more of Iceland.

timind likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Apparently the actress who plays Grima is AKA the artist GDRN:

timind likes this.
  10. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Trapped is another pretty good Icelandic series and from memory there some decent scenery in it at times.
    Overall Iceland is an amazing place that I've been lucky enough to see parts of during winter.

11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I was just looking that one up and trying to figure out where to stream it in the US. Looks like maybe it was on Viceland...

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Gave Katla a shot last night and liked it, so we will finish the series. Looks great in Dolby Vision.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  13. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

My wife and I finished this show last night. I thought it was pretty bad. I tried to suspend my disbelief, but this show was too much. If a show full of suicides, animal abuse, and murder in a town of 8 people is your thing, this might be for you.

The illogical and unbelievable actions of the characters was maddening. The acting was dull, dull, dull. With very few exceptions every line of dialogue is delivered as flat as possible.

The cinematography was the best thing about the show.

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We just watched episode three and I'm not really into it. The first one was promising. I'm hoping my wife will forget about it and let it die.

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  15. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

It doesn't get better. I suffered through the whole season because my wife heard from someone it was good. It isn't.

unclefred likes this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It was bleak and cold. The scenery, the situation, the acting, the music...it was Iceland, I liked it.

noname74 likes this.
  17. noname74

What animal abuse?

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The raven died on its own and Mikael slit the throat of a dying sheep(?). The cow got out and ate contaminated grass...

19. noname74

I guess the dying sheep scene could be considered abuse however some would say it’s no different than someone hitting a deer with their car and the authorities needing to shoot it as it was in pain and had no chance of survival.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I really enjoyed this show, very spooky feel to it and the ending was great

noname74 and Jeff Kent like this.
  21. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Minor spoilers

I finished the show last night. Liked it a LOT.
    Really glad I didn't read the OP though. It was fun thinking it was another time travel show like Dark and waiting for the characters to figure that out ,only for me to realise that wasn't it at all. When I realised what it was actually based on, things really started to click. (Nobody has mentioned it thus far, but coincidentally, one of the posters in this thread has the same name.)

Well if you ever do, Icelandic is basically Old Norse except for modern words denoting things like computer and some minor differences in pronunciation. I've studied a little of ON, though not enough that I wouldn't need the subtitles. There may actually be more books on the older language, and almost definitely more YouTube content.

So in addition to understanding the dialogue, you could also go pillaging.

marmalade166 and noname74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.