Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Just from the stuff I've heard they'd have no problem filling twice that, but who knows who decides what goes and what stays. The "Source?"

Bink likes this.
  2. Dark Horse 77

You're definitely not the only one who loves the Brendan O'Brien version of "Dignity." Personally, I love it.
    While I'd definitely get a set of 89-96 I fear that would forever lose the 86-88 material without Oh Mercy to anchor it as the "comeback" at the end. Maybe a combined Lanois Oh Mercy/TOOM sessions set? That way they could cover 86-96 and include all the one offs and stuff none of us know about. That covers a lot of ground and while lots of people don't dig 80s Bob or "lesser" Bob but I find it pretty fascinating.

3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Latest info was “5 or 6 discs” as per Keef285’s post up until yesterday when it turned up on that Swiss website saying 5 discs. I imagine this has only just been finalised in the last month, so tracklisting must’ve undergone changes.

cable hogue and Bink like this.
  4. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Please don’t spoil a nice TOOM set with Knocked Out Loaded stuff. It has nothing to do with it. One of the landmark albums combined with the all-time low? Nah… Give me all TOOM stuff in a nice box set. If it’s a Big Blue kind of set then even better but keep it TOOM focused…

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It’ll be interesting to see what material from 1980 they think sits thematically with the Infidels/EB period rather than with the material on the Trouble No More set. I thought TNM seemed pretty light on the Shot of Love period, so maybe we’ll see some neat outtakes.

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

glad to know that, despite being slapped down, I was not far off. Just sayin.

Mrsharko, Alan57 and Sean Murdock like this.
  7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Tried and failed to add a wink emoji…

Next Big Thing likes this.
  8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

You can edit your post for up to 30 minutes -- there's still time!

DmitriKaramazov and windfall like this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

IPad being weird about it all… ;-)

Sean Murdock likes this.
  10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

that my view.
    too much stuff has been released already from TOOM and Oh Mercy for either to have stand alone releases.
    same thing with Infidels.
    you want to appeal to the wider public, so having a cd of 20 takes of a song is not practical.

SteveM and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  11. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I'm glad the original info on Infidels only was wrong, much prefer this slightly broader look on the first half of the 80s. Even though it seems the Infidels sessions will be the center piece of the set, I'm hoping for more "secular" outtakes from 1980-81 and interesting stuff from 1984-85 also.
    Also hoping it is studio only, keeping live stuff separate.
    The title is not great, but who cares, right?

12. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

except that even after Tell Tale Signs, a TOOM release has been touted. not to mention, it's a big album to hit and there is apparently tons of stuff that hasn't been released yet.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Hm, I'm pretty sure these sets aren't trying to appeal to the "wider public". At least not how I would define the term. These sets are aimed at the hardcore fan who is particularly interested, if not obsessive. There's always the cut down version for the casuals.

DavidJ and Country Rocker like this.
  14. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

I agree, the Bootleg series is not aimed at the masses, but at Dylan fanatics like myself. There's enough of us out there, I'm sure. In fact, I know there is.

milankey and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

Yeah, it was wayyyyy too light on SOL outtakes.

16. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I'm of the opposite view regarding more 'secular' outtakes, I reckon they had their time on TNM. I'd be happy with some Shot Of Love studio material but I hope there's more stuff from the EB sessions.

17. Dark Horse 77

I wouldn't want to and maybe my original post wasn't clear. I don't know exactly when the TOOM sessions started but my example was to have all of the stuff that people generally consider lesser Bob in one set. So leave out Oh Mercy & TOOM and include everything else from the time period between 86-96. I guess TOOM started production in later 1996 so cut off the set before that.
    I'm all for a standalone TOOM; but if we don't get that, I'd love to see it paired with Oh Mercy and make it a Lanois two-fer.

Alan57 likes this.
  18. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

Let's Keep It Between Us, Don't Ever Take Yourself Away, Magic, and the circulating Caribbean Wind and Heart of Mine alts would be a decent showing from SOL even before we got into covers, 1980 live, and unearthed Rundown mysteries like a new Angelina and ? ? ?.

Honestly, I'm just overjoyed about the breadth in both directions even if I end up putting all the SOL stuff from both Bootleg Serieseses into its own chronological sequence (also known as "travelin' thru").

You might run into the track sameness of More Blood, More Tracks, but it seems like there is enough of a musical journey from demo to finished product from 1996 to 1997 that TOOM could be a substantial standalone set.

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I want a box of every take of Wiggle Wiggle.

GarySteel, enro99, PJayBe and 5 others like this.
  20. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Would that leave much wiggle room for anything else though?

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

GarySteel, PJayBe and MilesTrane like this.
  21. Dark Horse 77

Speaking of what we might be getting...I find Heylin exhausting but his idea of a Rundown bootleg set would be just fantastic.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Strongly suspect that the first disc or so of this set will focus primarily on highlights from those fall 1980/winter 1981 Rundown Rehearsals that Heylin has been talking up for the last few years. Alternatively, it’s possible there will just be a handful of them with the idea of later devoting a dedicated Bootleg Series volume to these tapes, but I doubt it—I think this will be the last word on them for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  23. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

an Infidels only set was touted up to yesterday. Even after BS 1-3 and we know for a fact tons of unreleased Infidels stuff exists.

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont think its going to be board tapes of Dylan rehearsing Gordon Lightfoot.

25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

aimed at Dylan fans, not a fraction considered hardcore. its a curated item like the last couple of releases.