Survey: What Brand of Turntable Do You Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Plachy, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Technics SL-1210GR in the family room setup and rotate between vintage Stanton 881s and Pickering XSV3000 cartridges with OEM stylus.

Vintage Technics SL-1700MKII I bought new in 1980 for the master bedroom stereo with a spare Pickering XSV3000 cartridge with OEM stylus

2. Denny Anderson

Denny Anderson Forum Resident

Thorens TD160, stock arm w/ Hana SH cart

3. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

On my modest system, digital is king. I have vinyl for "fun and nostalgia" purposes and use vintage restored and inexpensive direct drive tables. Currently, that would be Technics SL-Q2, SL-Q5 and a Pioneer PL-300 (all with AT micro line carts).

4. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Old Technics 1500 with a Ortofon Blue and a preamp I don't know who made but it has variable output, needed because that 5.5mv in combination with late 70s/early 80s era hot cuts was frying my HK preamp. Previously, I just used the phono stage in the HK with a Shure m97.

5. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Technics SL-1610 MK I

40+ years old and still going strong.

[​IMG]

hiwattnick, mackat, hifisoup and 5 others like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB-BK Direct-Drive, albeit with a few minor modifications. Suits my needs just fine. Poor man’s Technics? Yeah, but so what :) I run that, and a Sony Blu-ray
    Sony UBP - X800M2 through my Denon s650 receiver
    . I’m happy.

33na3rd and Sterling1 like this.
  7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Changed. Still VPI, but now a Classic Signature SE, modified with the 12" Fatboy Gimbal arm seen above and HW-40 feet.

[​IMG]

JohnK

8. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

VPI Traveler.

Some of us may be interested what the progression might be of longtime Audio Filberts like me, so:

Garrard Lab 80
    AR-XA
    Kenwood KD-650
    VPI HW-19 MK III with ET-II Arm
    another VPI HW-19 MK III upgraded to MK IV with Audio Technica AT-1005 Arm
    VPI Traveler

JFSebastion, mackat, hifisoup and 2 others like this.
  9. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Yes, interesting indeed. I recently got interested in the AR XA, and just got one delivered yesterday. One owner, all original, with all the extra bits including the original sales receipt. $96.14 for the table and a Shure M93E in 1972. I plan on making it a restoration project.

TeflonScoundrel and B. Scarpia like this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

11. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

I did one about 15 years ago, a real 'beater' off Ebay for $50. Used the nasty kind of paint remover to get off whatever Vilchur used that becomes so gummy on the top, then sprayed it. You can chuck the spindle in your electric drill, put that in a vise then spin the platter against Never Dull Pads to a nice shine.

The weak point in all XA re-builds is the headshell. I wound up having to pay $50 bucks for a replacement which kind of took the 'cheap fun' aspect away.

[​IMG]

Grootna, hiwattnick and Harris11235 like this.
  12. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Nice! My headshell seems to be in good shape, but the cart is toast. I’ve been combing through old threads and pictures of rebuilds to get ideas of how others approached their restorations. I see that Marc Morin has used this headshell on some of his rebuilds. And this page has some good eye candy, worth a look. I think I’ll be out of the realm of ‘cheap fun’ pretty quickly…

Should we move this conversation to PM to avoid derailing the thread?

13. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Thorens TD150, x2 Sme 3009/ 111S
    Linn Basic / Hadcock GH 228
    Garrard 401/ SME 4
    New turntables Don,t appeal.
    I have my reasons.

14. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Recently updated to the Rega Planar 8 table

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

displayname, 33na3rd, mreeter and 2 others like this.
  15. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

Nottingham analog Interspace Jr
    Realistic Lab 440

16. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

Technics SL1500C with a AT VM95ML.... sounds wonderful, easy to use and set up and I love the iconic Technics look.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

John, Please tell us about the string cable supports.

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. thegage

Hah! Some natural garden twine. Not very pretty, but some temporary, some permanent support for power cords, to keep them away from each other and interconnects and speaker cables. It does noticeably reduce the noise floor of my system, but given space constraints and some long cords I haven’t come up with a more visually appealing solution. In general their color tends to blend in when not highlighted by a close-up photo.

JohnK

33na3rd likes this.
  19. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

VPI Classic Signature HW

[​IMG]

edd2b, B. Scarpia, mreeter and 2 others like this.
  20. Tony Plachy

You have given me some new insights as to how to handle my own rats nest of cables.

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Shinola Runwell in the main stereo

Technics SL-1200MkII in the currently-being-rebuilt second system

And, I'm slowly trying to rebuild a Sumiko Pro-Ject 6.1 'table I failed a tonearm rewire project on. I'm going to try to mount it on a really thick base, maybe a butcher block, and get a new tonearm for it.

aseriesofsneaks and Harris11235 like this.
  22. Tony Plachy

racer, We have some VPI trends going on here. There are three VPI TT's on this page that have switched to the HW-40 feet which is what I have also done on my VPI Classic Direct ( see Page 44 Post 1076 ). I found it improved the bass response when I did so. I also use the same record weight as you do except I got the one that is rebranded as MoFi ( got a nice Black Friday discount on it ).

Do you have problems with feedback to your TT because it is so close to the big Sonus Faber speaker?

23. dial

dial Well-Known Member

Goldmund studio 2/Magnepan Unitrack/Goldring 1042, Thorens 318/SME 3009 II/Orsonic headshell/Denon 103

24. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Nope, no feedback issues at all. And yes, the HW feet are a must. On my previous table, a Scout, I upgraded to Gaia III feet and it was very impactful. These HW40 feet are massive in comparison. I cant really compare them since I upgraded table, tonearm and cartridge but I will say that I am extremely satisfied with my current setup. The depth of the soundstage is amazing.

25. thegage

Yes, my Classic (essentially the same as yours) has made me aware that at higher volumes my previous TNT suffered from some acoustic impact, in that the sound became more congested. The Classic, in the same location, does not show this at all. Whether it is the plinth or the feet I can’t say, as both were installed at the same time.

JohnK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.