Does anyone remember frazier speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by davmar77, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'... Thread Starter

they were made in texas i believe.i bought mine many moons ago from a long gone high end audio dealer.i stull use them.very simple design.just a black cabinet with a horn and an 8" woofer.very natural sound.shame they went out of biz.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't "remember" them per se, but have seen pictures of them and understand they were a competitor to some of the Klipsch horn speakers. They still turn up occasionally on ebay and craigslist.

3. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Frazier is still very much in business... but are only apparently making sound reinforcement and cinema products

-Aaron

4. joelongwood

joelongwood Forum Resident

Let me guess........you purchased them from Sid Zimet (Audio by Zimet) in Roslyn. The speakers you are referring to would be Frazier Black Box IIs (I have a pair myself that I purchased "many moons ago" as well.)
    There is quite a Frazier following over at Audiokarma.org.
    I still listen to mine on a regular basis. :D

Rick Hibbing likes this.
  5. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I have a pair of old Frazier Mini-Midgets; picked them up in a thrift store. Single 4-inch drivers, ported small enclosure. I can't find anything out about them, but they have their charms, if you don't go too loud with them.

6. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

I vaguely remember them, but I remember Audio By Zimet and their line of mixers which turned into MCI or Otari or something like that??

Whatabourt Rectilinear IIIs?

7. davmar77

i had no idea they were still around.yes,zimet was the place and they are the black box II's.i remember them being half the price of the jbl's and cleaner sounding.

8. joelongwood

Unfortunately they are no longer around..........Sid and his wife were killed in a plane crash well over 10 years ago. :(
    I used to love going there as a budding audiophile and listening to Sid expound on why tubes were superior to transistors, and of course, the superiority of Frazier speakers vs. just about anything out there.
    And yes, those Black Box IIs are extremely clean sounding speakers. Enjoy. :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I have a pair of Frazier "Things". Bought them new in 81 in Oak Cliff. Can't remember the store.

Rick Hibbing likes this.
  10. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

I bought my 1st stereo system at Audio by Zimet back in 1978-a Connoisseur TT, Dynaco amp & ADS speakers. I also remember the Frazier Black Box speakers very well-a guy I went to school with had a pair of them & they sure sounded good to my (then) teenage ears...of course he got them at Zimet. Didn't know about Sid & his wife dying in a plane crash-how horrible.

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

High boys or low boys?

12. davmar77

wow! i had no idea.i spent a lot of time there.michael tapes,as he was known,also worked there.he engineered many of the live wlir shows.he used to use a live tower of power show for his speaker demo in the store.took me a long time to get a copy from him.it's still my favorite show of theirs.

tuttebenne likes this.
  13. joelongwood

Found this obit of Sid Zimet.
    Journal Audio Engineering Society., Vol. 36, No. 6,
    1988 June

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. sgriffith59

sgriffith59 New Member

I worked in 1978-79 at a store in the Oak Cliff Section of Dallas called "The Stereo Place as a tech. I remember that the store sold Frazier speakers...Frazier Things were the hot item at the time. I believe it was located on Jefferson...

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Thats where I purchased mine and that I still have!

Rick Hibbing likes this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Just head on over the the 2-Channel section at the Klipsch forums. There are many Frazier users there and a dedicated thread with hundreds of posts.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Zimet was one of the biggest rip-off joints in the Tri-State area, super high-pressure salespeople. The Fraziers were terrible speakers.:thumbsdn:

18. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

I bought my 1st stereo at Audio by Zimet-a Dynaco amp, ADS speakers, and a Connoisseur turntable...ah memories. I guy I went to high school with had a pair of the Frazier Black Box speakers which he bought at Zimet-we used to go over to his place to hang out and crank Zappa, Dead, Hot Tuna amongst others on those speakers...they sure sounded good to my 17 year old ears back then!

19. davmar77

hmm, do i know you? sounds like my place at the time and yes, they do sound good. when i bought them at zimet, i compared them next to jbl's and chose the fraziers. i still have them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. flip_wilson

flip_wilson New Member

I bought mine Frazier Black Boxes in 1976 at Zimet with a Dynaco equalizer. Also had a Kenwood receiver (bought at Crazy Eddies) and a Stanton 698 Troubadour turntable (sill have the speakers and turntable).

21. jimmyegan

jimmyegan New Member

I have a pair of Frazier Super Capsules bought in mid 70's at Audio by Zimet. Speaker has woofer,tweeter and horn. Still use them to this day. Also still have manual for them. Had a Dynaco amp hooked up to them at one time. Max power is 30 watts a channel

22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Is there anyone on the East coast that has ever owned Frazier speakers that were NOT bought at Zimet?

23. davmar77

i don't know. was he the only dealer in the ny metropolitan area?

24. 402jockey

402jockey New Member

Hi,

I joined this forum just to answer this question...

I can't believe you guys are talking about this stuff. Brought a smile to my face reading about Zimet.

I bought my stereo from a place in Great Neck called Ears Nova. Cant think of the guys name yet but they were salesmen from Zimit that had quit Sid and started their own store. My stereo (I still have it, but packed up) is a David Hafler DH-101 pre-amp, a Dynaco amp (cant think of the model), and a pair of those great Frasier Super Capsules... Used a Dual turn-table and a Teac reel-to-reel and loved every note that came out of it...

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I just couldn't sit by and not add my 2 cents...

cheers...

25. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

All this and no pics?

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.