Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I enjoyed it a lot, and was glad to see something set in more modern times from QT. Need to watch it again.

To me, his stuff is funnest to experience in the theater with other moviegoers.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Yep! Kurt was awesome in The Hateful Eight.
    Felt sorry the 150 year old Martin geetar though.

3. alexpop

Five ? Only see 4.

4. alexpop

Anything better available?

5. alexpop

Welcome Back Kotter”?
    How nerdy can you get. :D

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Quentin has always been the uber nerd.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Saturday Night Fever actor helped with Pulp Fiction script. Recent interview with QT.. said he’d never work with again “he’s to old”. Think in regards to Vega brothers pre story.

Always thought there was a falling out or something with the pair after Pulp Fiction.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

You can't compare this to those. We have a knowledge of our country's major historical events. Sharon Tate's murder is not something that's taught in history class. The movie is mostly about an event that doesn't happen, which the audience is never told about. You can assume your audience knows who Hitler is. You can't assume they know who a civilian murder victim from 50 years ago is. And if you're going to try to say this event had some larger significance than it seems to on its surface, that's got to be explained in the movie. The murder of John Lennon or JFK, we can see the significance. The larger meaning or significance of this murder isn't clear or obvious.

Without a larger point being made, we have a movie about a couple of has-been actors leading pretty insignificant lives who beat down some criminal cult members. It's not a great idea for a movie. Without a strong center, QT's typical scenes of extended dialogue just feel like they're dragging on while the movie goes nowhere slowly. It's meandering and yawn-inducing. At best, the movie is a nostalgic travelogue through QT's personal memories. You can learn a lot about what's important to him by watching the movie, which doesn't help make it any less disinteresting for yourself.

I think she probably symbolizes innocence. The problem is that characters should be characters first and symbols second. At least have her symbolize something to someone actually in the movie, like Suzanne Somers did in American Graffiti. But she doesn't connect to the other characters in the movie.

Spastica, Lightworker and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

Darkest “?
    Understand. :)

10. Chrome_Head

I'm about 30-40 minutes into QT's recent appearance on the Joe Rogan show / podcast. I highly recommend anyone here interested in QT give it a listen.

Thing of it is, QT doesn't really do deep, symbolically-rich stuff. Does he create memorable characters and write interesting dialog and scenes and plot twists with over-the-top moments of visceral violence? Yes, he does. So yes, you could say Margot Robbie's role as Sharon Tate symbolizes this or that, or Brad Pitt's stuntman / everyman character represents this or that. But that's stuff the audience brings to the experience. I think Tate being a blank slate in the movie was intentional and is just that--she's a footnote in history more famous arguably for being a victim of the Manson murder cult than her work as an actor unfortunately. And the movie's plot doesn't depend on the audience's knowledge of her beyond that.

So what's the point of the movie you may ask? What's the point of two hitmen riding around Los Angeles talking about pop culture? What's the point of the glowing briefcase they keep encountering, the contents of which we never see? I don't think QT is really interested in answering these questions than he is creating cool / funny characters, and creating a vibe and atmosphere, which he does very well.

Dinstun, Isaac K., MitchLT and 2 others like this.
  11. alexpop

Ironically Once....,,,,,Hollywood, is QT feel good movie. Even with the Manson gang brutal climax.Like the type ending you‘d get in Scooby-Doo, Pitt .. shaggy. :)

twicks and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the interview as well, thought it gave some insight into what his next venture might be, quite interesting.

I noticed his cinema, the new bev is showing Kill Bill Vol 1 as a special screening this Friday at midnight according to his website, god id love to go to that.

JediJones, Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The more you know (and read) about the actual characters and circumstances...the better the film is.
    QT gets a 95% from me for not dumbing down the film to meet the expectations of 'low info' viewers.

Isaac K. and alexpop like this.
  14. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

But where is my Honda?... I'm sorry baby I had to crash that Honda. Lol one of my all-time favorite lines.

twicks and Carl80 like this.
  15. alexpop

Joe Rogan Show ?
    Watched bits of it .. QT take on Bruce Lee was illuminating, wasn’t aware of BL contempt for stuntmen. Mind you maybe there’s a reason for that.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I thought they all died.

17. alexpop

On the big screen? Yeah man go for it.
    Pulp Fiction was a big deal in 1994,in the cinema... it was the cool film to check out. Something that you can’t replicate experience wise on a 55” tv.

Carl80 and JediJones like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Saw all of his movies in the theater starting with Pulp Fiction back in '94.

Somehow I missed seeing Django in the theater, though. Not sure how.

19. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I'm the first to say Pulp Fiction is a movie about nothing. But there's a way to be about nothing and still be compelling to watch, and have forward momentum that makes you eager to see the next scene. The whole of Pulp Fiction may amount to nothing, but the individual segments have their own structure that makes them work as mini-movies. They set up scenes that have suspense and have something eventful happen by the end. Most of the individual segments in Once Upon didn't amount to much of anything, and don't have climactic moments or big finishes. The movie was structured much more as a traditional movie that would build up to its big point in the end. But all you get is a lot of flimsy, unfocused material pulled from a grab bag of QT's nostalgic memories that doesn't add up to making much of a point about anything. The cult member scenes are the only time you have suspense or excitement, but they're a small and loosely connected part of a ragged and spindly pastiche, spilled onto a landscape littered with obscure references and inside jokes.

Spastica and Carl80 like this.
  20. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Pulp Fiction with honorable mention to Jackie and Bill. Some of the others get too bloody.

21. I agree about Jackie Brown -great film. And the appeal of Reservoir Dogs is also lost on me.

Jrr likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

Yeah, that's a fair assessment I think. His movies have gotten very long-winded while they've also kinda been lacking that forward-motion element, with long stretches of meandering. I think he really just wanted to make a throwback movie set in LA in the late 60's, which homaged the then-on-the-wane studio system of film/TV production.

JediJones likes this.
  23. alexpop

Yeah ! But it was devised during the woke - metoo thing. Tricky to maneuver.

24. Chrome_Head

I don't think QT worries about "woke - metoo" (man am I sick of everyone throwing around these terms, btw)--if you listen to the Rogan interview, JR talks about how QT was "grandfathered in" with the stuff he gets away with in his movies (things that no else or few others would get away with).

polchik, JediJones and alexpop like this.
  25. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Was watching some of that documentary QT8 last night, I’d seen it before but it’s really good and on Prime Video, the dialogue in Reservoir Dogs is amazing for his first film, really interesting that they couldn’t afford new suits for them as well in the wardrobe so they had to wear there own and Steve buscemi turned up in black jeans.

Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.