LOKI - Marvel Superhero TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I know hands are tied somewhat, but after watching WandaVision, Winter Soldier and Loki I’ve come to realise how much better NETFLIX did Marvel with Iron Fist/Daredevil/Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.
    I fear we’ll never see Marvel done as well again.

moosebass, Shawn and Curveboy like this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Good point. While I loved Falcon/Winter Solider overall Netflix got it right.

Andy Smith likes this.
  3. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I can see your point about this not being the Loki we were used to, but he IS a variant after all. One that was pulled from his timeline and then shown everything that was "supposed" to happen to him. That left him spiritually defeated and made him felt like everything he had done or was supposed to do in life was worthless. While a self reflective Loki is probably not the most entertaining version of him to be the main character of a TV series, it's always necessary to have somebody perform the role of the "straight man" people can relate to, especially in a show like this where everything else is bonkers.

And if I had to choose, I suppose I would take an iteration of the Architect over the Castlevania style Boss Battle most people were expecting.

ad180, marmalade166 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I actually liked that scene in The Matrix Reloaded. Lots of existential philosophy going round the metaphysical room. It was relatively short compared to the talkative season one finale of Loki.

And whats up with the way the cameraman kept zooming in and out from the desk? I was almost expecting them to reveal the Loki's snoring in their chairs.

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It was a subtle visual way to mark the threshold point when Immortus could no longer see into the future.

6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Actually I thought Owen Wilson was great serving this function...unfortunately they jettisoned that dynamic halfway in.

7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

He is a likeable character, but he was still a bureaucrat of the Kafkaesque proceedings against Loki. He may seem like a straight man but his actions aren’t.

8. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

That was a weird finale. Weird editing in a few sequences, weird acting by the Big Bad, sooooooo much talking. I guess this is what you get when you have to tie into other branches of a larger storyline. Color me underwhelmed.

GentleSenator, twicks and Curveboy like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

exactly what I figured people would complain about after this one

meanwhile, me:
    [​IMG]

Hi, yes, I'll take all the lore dumps, please and thank you.

Stormrider77, dlokazip, vince and 2 others like this.
  10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I think this may be part of the reason the original director of Doctor Strange balked and ended up leaving the sequel. Didn't Favreau complain about the same thing while making Iron Man 2?

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I try to keep up but the barrage of information is a chore. Maybe I don't have the attention span, nor the patience, to watch and rewatch these programs until I understand what's going on. I get to the point where I'm like, "Why did that happen?" and I say, "Well...just because." I don't want to have to work to make sense of this. Like how The Vision has apparently returned to life. I'm sure there's an explanation, I get the general gist (razzle dazzle of some sort), but it's such a headache. In the end I just don't care. It's tiresome.

And although I was a comic reader in the past (and occasionally dust off an old bronze age book when I get the urge), I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Marvel persons, places, and things. "The conqueror" made me think "Kang", which is not unreasonable.

The first Avengers film is not my favorite by far, but it was just refreshing to not be overwhelmed by quantum physics mumbo jumbo for a change. That's why I like "Spider-Man: Homecoming". Just a city kid in a costume taking down some weapons manufacturers. Cut and dry.

I accept the fact that it's me, not them. I'm fully prepared to bail. When I was a comic book reader, sometimes you'd hit a patch in a series when you just didn't care for the story or the creative team and you either dropped the book or rode it out and hoped things got better. This is where I am at. It's the D.G. Chichester era of Daredevil and I want Ann Nocenti back.

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

A diehard Marvel fan/coworker today was breaking down the "contracting/expanding universe" shots at the beginning of this latest episode and I was silently aghast that any regular viewer was supposed to understand what this meant.

Spitfire and Daniel Plainview like this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Do we really need or want every show to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator? I mean, really.

dlokazip, BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Me not want to read online interview with Feige to make sense of thing. Me want to smash Roku and Disney+.

Curveboy and twicks like this.
  15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That isn't what I'm talking about. Understanding exactly what the "contracting/expanding" universe shots mean is superfluous to understanding the continuity or plot of Loki. It's something for the hardcore fanbase just like the Thanos Copter in the previous episode. Everything you need to know is IN the show already. To bring back another Matrix reference, we shouldn't need to be told "He is THE ONE" over and over and over and over and over and over again. Put down your phone and pay attention the first time.

BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

I totally missed that.

I don't know what to say. I guess I should put another 6 hours aside and watch the show again and try to figure out what it is I'm doing wrong.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I just watch the spoiler videos on YouTube...saves me a few $'s.

18. BeatleJWOL

Time rewound to the big bang and then exploded forward to the end of time which we've been told for a couple episodes now is where Sylvie was headed. At least that's how it looked.

Seemed simple enough to me.

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

That one in particular was intended to be blink-and-you'll-miss-it. The tail end of an aircraft that said THANOS on it. It's totally okay that it got missed. It's from 1979 in the comics; the subsequent generations that are still having their minds blown by Marvel in [current year] most likely don't even know it ever existed.

Not knowing that the entity only called "He Who Remains" in this episode is (apparently) an avatar of Marvel's time-traveling supervillain Kang the Conqueror is also thoroughly unimportant for the episode. It's something to inspire certain reactions from viewers who may either already know or be absorbing the lore from Youtube commenters.

[​IMG]

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Totally unrelated: the quotes chosen to represent the entire of human history in that sequence were painfully...uh..."diverse."

21. BeatleJWOL

Nothing painful about diversity unless you're... you know.

But they should probably have stuck to Marvel stuff.

22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I never saw the first two, but the first seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were fantastic.

Shawn and Andy Smith like this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I couldn’t even understand most of it, and stuff that I could wasn’t enough to trigger me. Honestly I don’t know how this scene is supposed to relate to Marvel mythos in the comics, I just thought it was a cool visual to show how far outside of reality they had ventured.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

One person's "painful diversity" is another's more faithful representation of the human race.

JohnK

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

One subtext that I absolutely love about the finale is that Loki absolutely has what it takes to get the keys to the throne, but Loki is always Loki's worst enemy.

ad180 and BeatleJWOL like this.