Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Steamboat and Savage were teammates at the 1st Survivor Series less than a year after Savage "crushed his throat".

2. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Vince had his moments while in character. I still get a kick out of the sound him getting hit with the bedpan at the hospital *THONK*. Also laugh at how over the top his announcing was during main event programming. There's a video out there of some Irish fans viewing and commentating over Survivor Series 1990 and Vince killing his throat running down the card. Hilarious!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

RIP…still remember playing with this back in the day:

[​IMG]

905, Sammy Banderas, JPagan and 4 others like this.
  4. WarEagleRK

I had a ton of the WWF LJN figures as well as almost all of the AWA Remco figures as a kid.

I would actually use the WWF ring for the AWA figures as it was more to scale for the toys. The WWF ring was too small for the WWF figures.

905, Matthew Tate and noname74 like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I still have my LJN figures at my mom's house. Some of them have turned into stick toxic waste. Specifically JYD and the Bulldogs. I think that red paint broke down the rubber faster or something. They stink to high heaven.

I probably played with those toys more than any other over my life. Most of them are missing paint, and in some cases missing arms! Hours and hours of fun, though.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. noname74

I had almost all of them and played with them constantly. I loved the Big John Studd one. I could stage a whole night of matches and not get tired of them. Good times.

[​IMG]

905, Sammy Banderas and WarEagleRK like this.
  7. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I sold off all but two of my LJN figures before I moved a few states away a few years ago. I now kind of regret selling them now that my Mom has passed. I know she jumped through some hoops to get those for me when I was a kid.

I kept Hogan and Piper (first two figures, but gifted from an aunt & uncle).

I used to have the AWA Road Warriors figures, but lost them to the ravages of time (or a younger brother).

905, Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Pictures please! Would love to see the plastic blobs!

9. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

The body women love, and men love... to fear.

10. MikeInFla

Virgil is dilusional.

On his role in the nWo: “I think I made Hulk Hogan’s whole career. Ted Turner and I put together the nWo. I got paid all day. I was like a moving reindeer. It was Too Sweet Meatsauce week. Olive Garden gave me a special order with Eric Bischoff because they love me that much. They put out a restraining order on Eric Bischoff because he followed me to Olive Garden. I guess he wanted a bunch more meatsauce or something. He’s obsessed with me because I’m the Meatsauce King. I was the original member coming in. It was Hulk, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Ted DiBiase, myself and X-Pac.”

He also claims he invented Booker's Spinaroonie.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I think he's just working you bro :laugh:

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I got the chance to sit down and talk to Mike(Virgil). He was actually kind of quiet with what seemed a permanent scowl. Until I mentioned that I remember keeping an eye out years ago for "Soul Train" Jones after seeing a photo of him in some magazine. He looked like a million bucks. I knew who he was the first time Virgil showed up. The scowl went away and I met the smiling Mike Jones.

13. WarEagleRK

The 1st show I ever went to was in 1987 here in Chattanooga when I was 10 years old. Main event was Jerry Lawler vs Austin Idol for the Southern title. On the undercard was a great Jeff Jarrett vs Paul Diamond and a great Jeff Jarrett vs Pat Tanaka match. Also on the card was a masked Sid Vicious as Lord Humongous and a Southern tag title match with Soul Train Jones & Soulman Rocky Johnson against Bubba & Goliath.

905, Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hall and nash made up the NWO thing . whats he on about

15. WarEagleRK

I don't think that quote is him being serious.

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. noname74

It’s a work. A work he isn’t being paid for but a work nonetheless.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

oh lol. I was about to say was he even in wcw when hall and nash came into the company in the mid 90's right?

18. Daniel Plainview

The man filmed himself talking with his testes hanging out, how can anyone take him seriously at this point?

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MikeInFla

Did Virgil say last year or so that he was Xavier Woods' father?

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I still remember the huge pop Virgil got when he turned on DiBiase at the Rumble in '91. You could almost feel the anticipation of the crowd in the seconds leading up to him hitting DiBiase with the million dollar belt, and then boom the huge pop. Too bad he had such low ability and no charisma, otherwise he could have had more of a run (outside of the token wins over DiBiase to kind of cap off that storyline).

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

after the comments in this thread i busted out some dvds and watched a lot of Ric Flair matches, all at minimum around 30 minutes. i don't see the same match over and over again. to me flairs strength is he knows what he is good at and what his opponents are good at and you can tell he works a match to showcase those things . great ring psychology. to me only Bret Hart and HBK were close to that level of getting the best out of their opponents. believe it or not i'd say Ted DiBiase was the 4th best at this. Steering the match towards things everyone is good at.

Btw some of the matches I watched by Flair, and some of these i've seen a million times, were against
    Terry Funk
    Vader
    Sting
    Steamboat
    Lex Luger
    Dusty Rhodes
    Nikita Koloff
    Terry Taylor
    Harley Race
    Jerry Lawler

He got great matches out of all those guys and trust me i've seen some not so great matches from some of those guys

22. Daniel Plainview

Coincidentally I watched Flair v Funk I Quit Match on DVD last night as well. One of my favorite feuds ever.

23. Matthew Tate

they had a great match around then too at great american bash

24. WarEagleRK

The thing with Flair is, he wasn't just doing that for TV. He was doing that every night of the week. He didn't take it easy when the cameras were off. Some of the greatest of all time would take it back a notch or two if no cameras were on, not Flair.

tonyc and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I gotta be honest, it took me a while to get and respect Ric Flair. My earliest memories of him were when he arrived at the WWF and helped The Undertaker defeat Hulk Hogan. And you got the classic Royal Rumble 1992 match where Flair went the distance. At that time I just sat there and went "Who is this 50 year old man and how is he beating up guys 1/2 his age?" LOL. Little did I know that the old man image would stick even further when he came back to WWE (Sorry, did not watch WCW). I had to rewatch some of his matches to truly get how he had the ring psychology in spades and how his cardio was on another level (he never seemed to have a short match). Guy deserves all the respect in the world for what he has done in the business.