LOKI - Marvel Superhero TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Dec 14, 2020.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Wasn't it supposed to represent the timespan of human history? No Hitler, no FDR, no MLK...but Maya Angelou and a quote about motivational women? Groan.

2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

One thing that Disney has over Netflix is that these series are as long as they need to be and no longer. Daredevil just about justified 13 episodes but Jessica Jones stories were stretched like taffy. Luke Cage S1 would have been OK as a 100 minute movie but still just OK. The Defenders was moping and posing and no one actually saying or doing anything interesting. The Disney shows are using the extra time to enjoy some characterization without having to wow us every 40 seconds like the movies but also without slowing to a crawl. Of course these things are all about set-up but I'm interested in what Wanda, Sylvie and others are going to do next so I'd say it was working.

Stormrider77, Simon A and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Time Rompers!

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well finished the series now. Pretty underwhelmed. You can of watch it hoping that the ending will justify everything and make it worthwhile but it doesn't. These new Marvel TV shows flatter to deceive.

Loki is a god with superpowers and pretty much evil. To turn him into a pretty useless character who suddenly is likeable is pretty lame. It's just not who he is. And this whole story served no purpose at all only to introduce female Loki (who I guess, yawn, is the new MCU Loki) and Kang. That is not enough to justify the shows existence, it's pretty lame, there should be a good story to go with that.

The easter eggs are cool but really that's it.

If they are going to make TV shows then get better writers, write better stories and do justice to the characters. Not a meaningless plot with a few easter eggs thrown in for the fans.

Curveboy and twicks like this.
  5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

There series isn't over...

6. I get what you’re saying but I also found both Wanda Vision and Winter Soldier a few episodes too long each. Even Loki might have benefited from one less episode.

vegafleet likes this.
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I wanna say it was barely worth it just for all the cool Time Variance Authority set dressing, logos, etc. That stuff was outstanding.

mx20 likes this.
  8. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Really enjoyed this series. I'm glad that overall it's a hit with both critics and audiences.

Tom Hiddleston's Loki has always been one of the strongest and most charismatic characters in this franchise, so a solo series where he becomes more of a sympathetic protagonist is both no surprise, and quite welcome. There are plenty of other big bad Marvel villains for the franchise to leverage.

There's a sense from some disgruntled viewers here of..."what was the point" which is an odd take to me because the events in this series, particular the final episode, set up something so big and multiverse-altering that it makes Thanos' gauntlet run look like a jog around the track.

I do think some of the Kang-variant conversation at the end was a bit strange, inexplicable, and at times maybe even off-putting. But I think it had its intended effect in setting up the future of the franchise with a great deal of foreboding. That's what comic books have so often done. You end one story arc only to tease and set up the next one. Do I understand the end entirely? No, but I can chalk it up to that this is just some fun escapist entertainment dealing with cosmic forces and entities I'm not meant to fully understand every bit of the "science" or catch all the superfluous references. I can handle the ambiguity as long as I feel connected to the characters. We watch these Disney+ Marvel shows as a family, and I see the target audience for these shows as my twelve year old son. He enjoys them very much and we love to speculate about whatever might happen next in them. So this is pretty much gold to me.

As far as the recently mentioned Netflix Marvel shows, wow, very different opinion I have of them then some here. I appreciated that they were a bit more adult (my kids won't be seeing them any time soon), and I thought both Daredevil and Jessica Jones got off to a great start. But that entire little sub-universe went wildly off the rails halfway through Luke Cage's first season, and then Iron Fist was terrible, could not even be bothered to finish it. Tried jumping into Defenders, that was awful (IMO of course), lost interest in even checking out later seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. They may be for a more kid-friendly audience, but I'm very glad that Marvel now has a much stronger hand of quality control over their television shows, though obviously your mileage will vary.

BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

What this show did in fact and maybe even in intention is to create the possibility for those Netflix shows, Agents of Shield, etc to still be a part of the MCU on their own timelines. They could even be revisited in the future and have multiversal crossovers.

BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah, there have been rampant rumors that Charlie Cox a.k.a. Netflix's Daredevil/Matt Murdock is appearing to some degree in the next Spider-Man film, which like all of the upcoming films seems to be connected with this multiverse fallout stuff.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'm not buying that. 1) The rumors say it's because Peter Parker will need a lawyer(???) after the unmasking/defaming from Mysterio in the last film 2) there's already a lawyer incoming in the MCU; Tatiana Maslany as Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk in the eponymous upcoming series.

So if improbable situation #1 happens (weird), then it won't be improbable older character coming back to fill that role.

Bringing back Daredevil in general would be awesome though.

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If we start hearing rumors of Affleck being cast I'm getting the hell out of here. Hopefully whatever universe his Daredevil existed in collapsed upon itself.

mx20 and Isaac K. like this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It wouldn’t make much sense for Matt to defend Peter in court. Matt defends the helpless and underprivileged of Hell’s Kitchen, not underaged superheroes from Queens.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. It is him. He reprises the role in the next Ant-Man movie.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. I
    kind of liked the way his character grew and developed.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Yep.

17. There are others…

18. Daniel Plainview

Can the actor play him a little more "serious" next time? Because funny guy at the end of time munching on apple was a major letdown. IMO

wayneklein and twicks like this.
  19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Live as a hermit for millions of eons and let’s see how sane you remain.

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Welll.... I'd like to think I could still be slightly intimidating.... :tiphat:

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

...that wasn't really the point, was it? He Who Remains was clear about the choices; kill him, or take over for him. He was old and tired and ready to go, one way or another.

Kang being Kang, there's an opportunity for Jonathan Majors to return in many forms. I think, as another article indicated, this is the nicest one.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. I have the feel(ng the approach will be quiet different based on what he said about his various incarnations.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Back to this subject again, but Peter isn’t going to need a lawyer, because they’re obviously going to do the classic super hero alibi of having Spider-Man and Peter Parker in two places at the same time in the next movie.

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Because of multiverse shenanigans?

That's my take on what will be far more interesting between The People vs. Peter Parker.

25. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Exactly. I kind of hope they don’t go down this path because I think it’s been an overused trope on every superhero TV show ever, but I think that’s pretty much what they’re building up to by having multiple Spideys in No Way Home.