The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

yeah that’s the one

2. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Found out I have Australia pressings of The Dead's first two albums.
    They seem to be quite rare. Anyone else seen these before?

changeling69, Zafu and US Blues like this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I went looking for something that sounds like 1/2/70 (Dave's Picks 30) and I found 2/28/70 at the Family Dog on the Great Highway which I had never heard before this evening. A well-recorded show but two songs are missing-Casey Jones and the encore Uncle John's Band, neither of which are in circulation according to the internet. The sequence of Alligator>Drums>The Other One and Mason's Children is hot hot hot. TOO is less than 10 minutes but the first 4 minutes before the first verse are a joyous blast of primal Grateful Dead. Just thunderous in its intensity. It looks like a one set show, opening and closing with Lovelight with both versions being of modest length. And yes that is a ">" between the opening Lovelight and Me And My Uncle and it's well executed. And there's an acoustic mini-set in there. Cumberland is electric but then M&E, Little Sadie and Black Peter are acoustic. You probably want headphones for that main jam. It's probably never going to be released because of the missing tracks so this one can be our little secret.

Turn On Your Lovelight > Me And My Uncle
    Cumberland Blues
    Monkey And The Engineer
    Little Sadie > Black Peter
    China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider
    High Time > Dire Wolf
    Good Lovin' > drums > Good Lovin'
    Big Boss Man
    Casey Jones (missing)
    Alligator > drums > The Other One > Mason's Children > jam > Turn On Your Lovelight

ENCORE Uncle John's Band (missing)

Just look at those cars. Pretty anonymous looking joint from the outside.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    7/17/82
    Bertha-> Greatest Story Ever Told, They Love Each Other, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Althea-> Little Red Rooster, Tennessee Jed-> Truckin'

Playin' In The Band-> China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Estimated Prophet-> Drums-> The Wheel-> Playin' In The Band-> Around & Around-> One More Saturday Night

E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Well, since Melbourne is back into lockdown (5.0), and I’ve been day-drinking (what else is there to do?), I might as well … via the Archives, I’m spending this evening and the rest of the weekend at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, 17—19/07/89, with a scorching hot, killer 3-show marathon*.

[​IMG]

The majority of the first show from the run was also released on DVD as Downhill From Here, along with the last three songs of the 1st set from 19/07/89. Other songs have popped up on Fallout From The Phil Zone and as a bonus track on the reissued Built To Last.

Again, this is incredibly consistent, super-tight, and highly energetic Summer 1989 Grateful Dead; with head-turning, jaw-dropping, mind-blowing highlights in abundance across the 3 shows. Like, really … there’s so many, I’m not going to name them all**. Instead I’m just diving in and totally gonna enjoy the ride!

“We’re going to stay here ‘til we soothe our soul, if it takes all night long” . . .

Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, 17/07/89:

I: Let The Good Times Roll, Feel Like A Stranger, Built To Last, Me And My Uncle > Cumberland Blues, It’s All Over Now, Row Jimmy, When I Paint My Masterpiece, When Push Comes To Shove, The Music Never Stopped.​

II: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Playing In The Band > Uncle John’s Band > Standing On The Moon > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Gimme Some Lovin’ > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away, And We Bid You Goodnight.​

E: Johnny B. Goode.​

Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, 18/07/89:

I: Touch Of Grey, Jack Straw, Jack-A-Roe, New Minglewood Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again, Bird Song > Promised Land.​

II: Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias > Man Smart, Woman Smarter > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > China Doll > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude > Throwing Stones > Sunshine Daydream.​

E: The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo).​

Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, 19/07/89:

I: Hell In A Bucket > Sugaree, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Althea, Victim Or The Crime > West L.A. Fadeaway, Desolation Row > Deal.​

II: Box Of Rain, Foolish Heart > Looks Like Rain > Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > The Other One > The Wheel > Morning Dew.​

E: Turn On Your Love Light.​

I love, love, totally love these shows—they’re basically perfect.

Now, bundling together the audio and video of this run would make for one uber cool box set. For f u c k ’ s sake, why is this not a thing?! C’mon, man!

[​IMG]

*Is this one of the greatest runs in Dead history? It’s definitely gotta be up there. I’m already mega-jealous of anyone here who was there!

**Oh, ok then … check out Feel Like A Stranger, The Music Never Stopped and China > Rider from 17/07/89; Friend Of The Devil, Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias (whoa, that transition—like, WTF!) and China Doll from 18/07/89; and Althea, West L.A. Fadeaway, Deal, Foolish Heart and Morning Dew from 19/07/89.

That’s a pretty swell baker’s dozen; a sweet 13-song playlist of highlights for starters! (There are more, of course).

6. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Row Jimmy, Loose Lucy, West LA, MAMU….and that’s not even getting into the songs I wish DeadCo would drop, although I’m okay with hearing Bobby “talk” some of Jer’s ballads now.

Erik B. and Freebird like this.
  7. This one gets a workout this weekend. Epic.

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

8. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

The 1/2/70 & 1/3/70 shows at Fillmore East are excellent. They’re definitely worthy, as Dave’s 30th pick + bonus disc.

SJR, Crispy Rob, adamos and 4 others like this.
  9. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Dang, give me some more of that Feel Like a Stranger from 4/19/86.

Can be found on 30 Days of Dead from 2015.

10. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Well, I mean the autoharp....as Janis Joplin used to play....

Paperback Writer likes this.
  11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Listen to the whole 2nd set.

12. Whoops! My bad. Brain Freeze.

I think John “Marmaduke “ Dawson of NRPS played some, perhaps he played it on a session?

ianuaditis and changeling69 like this.
  13. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

I'll look into that.....Ty.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Just starting set II now... you inspired me to revisit...​

15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

55 years ago today

Cream Puff War - 1966/07/17 Fillmore

16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I hope you didn't skip the Deal.

SJR and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm listening in the wrong order today. It was raining so I felt like launching in at Box. I'll return for set I Althea, West LA and Deal later.

SJR, Crispy Rob and scribbs like this.
  18. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Now onto Dave's 31: 12/3/79 at Uptown Theatre, Chicago

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

20. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

"Now, bundling together the audio and video of this run would make for one uber cool box set. For f u c k ’ s sake, why is this not a thing?! C’mon, man!"

And throw 7/15/89 Deer Creek with the Close Encounters Space in with the Alpine run too!

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

And 49 years ago the dead repay the favor by sitting in with the allmans at gaelic Park. I didn't make that show unfortunately.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

27 years ago today……….a very forgettable show at RFK Stadium.

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

17 July 1976- Orpheum Theater, San Fran. Dave's #18.

I mentioned yesterday that the official release brought this music to us in proper quality and beauty of the performance was revealed and embraced. Today my eardrums are doing the embracing.

24. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Time is flying!! I was at this show too, I remember David Crosby was watching the Dead set from the left side of the stage, was hoping that he would join them, but it didn`t happen.

A really,really strong show!

25. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Help me.. I’m organizing my digital library and seeking feedback on this particular organization strategy.
    • 1965- Sept. 24, 1967
    • September 29, 1967 to November 22, 1968
    • November 23, 1968 to January 26, 1970
    • January 30, 1970 to February 18, 1971
    • February 19, 1971 to August 26, 1971
    • October 19, 1971 to June 17, 1972
    • July 16, 1972 to August 1, 1973
    • September 7, 1973 to October 20, 1974
    • March 23, 1975 to December 31, 1976
    • February 26,1977 to February 17, 1979
    • April 22, 1979 to December 31, 1984
    • January 28, 1987 to July 23, 1990
    • September 7, 1990 to September 26, 1991
    • October 27, 1991 to March 24, 1992
    • May 19, 1992 to the end.

Matthew Tate, bzfgt and KCWhistle like this.