Hendrix on vinyl - which ones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snork, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't think the mono is any great shakes either but Love Or Confusion is MUCH better in mono. There stereo mix has this way over the top reverb on the vocals that ruins the song IMO.

2. Feelflows

Feelflows New Member

I've never been a big fan of AYE in stereo. I much prefer the mono mix and the mono 45s. The Classic AYE singles box tracks that were actually mono sounded a few generations (at least) removed. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I actually like that muddy sound for AYE. Gives it a blusier feel IMO, and I've always preferred that to the psychedelic stereo of 67&68. Electric Ladyland on the other hand, even if there was a dedicated mono mix...I can't imagine I'd prefer it.

Even though Axis' mono was the secondary mix, If I had to choose, I'd go with it. Thankfully I don't as the stereo and mono mixes both fit on a CD, and that Classic LP makes for a sweet needledrop.

3. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

As far as quality is concerned, would the UK mono of "Are You Experienced" be considered a major upgrade from the US mono? And if so, is there a particular UK version to be on the lookout for?

4. chodus

chodus New Member

Hey, new member here. Would love to hear some Hendrix in mono or a needle drop but its impossible to find here in Australia. Ah well, I can still dream can't I :love:

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I've just located the following LP set (for a pretty good price), and am wondering if I should snag it.

“THE SINGLES ALBUM” / U.K. POLYDOR PRESSING OF SONGS THAT WERE APPARENTLY/POSSIBLY ORIGINALLY MASTERED IN GERMANY (according to what it says on the back cover) / Cat # SELECT DOUBLE # PODV 6 (on back cover) / Has the cassette designation on back cover, but no CD designation / Has the “Hendrix Doll” cover: Green with yellow text

BACK COVER: TOP: Has the cassette designation on back cover, but not one for CD.

BACK COVER: THROUGHOUT: Has song titles listed as “© 1967, 1968, 1971, 1978 Polydor International GmbH”,

BACK COVER: BOTTOM: (left-hand corner): “This compilation © 1983 Polydor Ltd. (London)”

Which tracks are Mono?

Which tracks are Stereo?

And, most importanly how's the sound quality?

Should I go for it?

Thanks.

6. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Not impossible, but difficult to find in reasonable condition. The original Australian mono press AYE appears to have used UK mothers/stampers so sounds pretty good. Matrix numbers etc look exactly the same as on UK Track original pressings. They do turn up occasionally but, like a lot of 60s Aust. vinyl, they can be pretty trashed.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The box doesn't look that different to me. Maybe a little quieter. The differences in dynamics are very small, IMHO.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW, I seem to recall preferring the stereo AYE from the 70's UK Polydor 2-fer (the first UK stereo pressing of AYE) to a 1st US Reprise (the common tracks, at least).

Maybe I need to go back and listen again.

9. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Could you share the matrix & stampers with us ?
    I have 2RS 6301A/B/C/D -1E/-1E/-1E/-1G

10. prof. stoned

Not as small as you might think. The 2nd wavefile is way more dynamic.
    I should post audio samples instead so everybody can hear the difference, but I'm too lazy.

11. prof. stoned

Well, that LP uses an inferior mastertape, with no less than three tracks in mono (Red house, Can you see me & 3rd stone) and one in fake stereo (Remember).
    It's the same pressing as the only AYE stereo pressing on Track Records from 1970.

There are actually no LP's on Polydor that capture AYE entirely in stereo (while stereo mixes for all the tracks do actually exist).
    All of them are in fake stereo or they use the 2-fer masters.

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

For the record (ho! ho!), Hendrix only released 3 1/2 albums in his lifetime, the rest are just compilations, live stuff.

Are You Experienced
    Electric Ladyland
    Axis Bold As Love
    Cry of Love was finished after he died.
    JG

13. Chris M

You managed to forget Band of Gypsys. Some of the "live stuff" is least as essential as the studio albums.

14. James Glennon

I wasn't saying what's essential, but to point out that was all that released of original material when he died!

EVERYTHING IS ESSENTIAL AS FAR AS JIMI HENDRIX IS CONCERNED!

JG

15. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

I'm no Hendrix expert, but I think Band of Gypsys was original material and released while he was still alive.

16. James Glennon

Point taken! you are not a hendrix expert (ha!ha!).

Seriously, I was referring to studio output. Live albums are usually put out by the record company to fill a gap or cash in!

JG

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It sure was. I just happened to listen to my Classic mono Axis: Bold as Love last night, and a lot of the trippy phasing effects really don't transfer well to mono at all. And on certain tracks such as "Little Wing," Hendrix's guitar is almost completely mixed out of the track altogether. However, and this is a big however, the Classic mono Axis is a demonstration disc when it comes to how incredible drums and bass can sound on a rock recording: hate to say it, but it's like Mitch and Noel are in the room with you. "If 6 Was 9," in particular, is a showcase for the rhythm section that you have to hear to believe.

As someone noted above, the soundstaging on a good original Reprise pressing of Electric Ladyland will blow your mind. And it shouldn't be that expensive, either.

18. Chris M

ok, sorry about that. FWIW Band of Gypsys was released when Jimi was alive. Jimi selected the performances and supervised the mixing and editing. The Otis Redding/Jimi Hendrix Monterey album was released when Jimi was alive as well although I don't think Jimi had any input. Ditto for the Woodstock album..

alchemy likes this.
  19. Chris.

Chris. Forum Resident

(Tiptoeing in before Driver 8 notices I'm here and starts beating me about the face and neck)

I couldn't agree more. I was surprised at the difference when I listened to a bandmate's Reprise mono LP (scored at a flea market about two months ago). Ditto for the amazing sound of the rhythm section. The Hendrix Reprise catalogue (I had stereo, up through Smash Hits) is one of the primary reasons for which I miss my vinyl collection like hell.

20. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

Yes, but isn't Band of Gypsys all new previously unreleased material with a new supporting band? Not your typical contractual-obligation live album.

21. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

22. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I've got it and it is decent but I would like to hear an original. I've got the 180g AYE and the Classic Records Axis and the Classic wins hands down sound quality wise. I've also got the Classic Records Martin Scorsesee Presents the Blues : Jimi Hendrix and Voodoo Chile sounds better on this compilation than on the 180gram Experience Hendris LP IMO.

I've got an original Track AYE Mono on the way, I can't wait! :D

23. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I guess I need to say something in response to the original question before I hijack this thread. My apologies in advance.

If your budget is limited, I would recommend the following:

Axis, Stereo - late 70's/early 80's German Polydor replica of the original UK Track (except the label is a bit different and the vinyl is not as thick); this is the best Stereo version I have heard (almost identical to the original UK Track). In fact, I personally prefer this reissue. If this is advertised as the UK Track original, then the price can go up very high (in the hundreds of dollars). You will notice that potential buyers asking questions, such as whether it comes with a lyric sheet, etc. to determine whether it is the original. If it is not advertised as the original, you may be able to steal it for a little more than the cost of a new Classic reissue. This will blow you away!

Electric Ladyland - the original Japanese pressing is quite nice and you may be able to pick it up for around $50 (if a bit lucky). This is NOT the later 3 or 4 Japanese reissues but the original. The Swedish nude-cover Polydor is also very interesting, as it is VERY dynamic. It may be a bit jacked up, but it is dynamic and interesting. You may be able to find this one for around $50 (if a bit lucky). You can also search the UK eBay and find this LP chopped into 2 separate LPs (Vol. I and II). They are IDENTICAL to the nude cover UK Track original, except that it is in two different single Track LPs. A while ago, these one-offs were going for about $15 in the UK eBay (much better than paying hundreds of dollars for the double LP original). But I would actually really recommend the German Polydor CD (or was it UK?). It sounds really good.

Band of Gypsies - US original with RL on dead wax. Actually, the Japanese
    pressing is quite nice as well. I see the US original quite often, and for less than $25.

Live albums other than Band of Gypsies - US or UK pressings from the 70's and 80's are quite good. If I were getting into Hendrix, I would start with these, as you can REALLY hear Hendrix at his best - LIVE! I would wholeheartedly recommend Jimi Plays Monterey (Motion Picture, etc.) His live version of Wind Cries Mary is simply Coltrane-like. Understated and masterful at the same time. Emotional and controlled at the same time. Bluesy and rocking at the same time. Jimi was THE ONE AND ONLY guitar god!

Otherwise, I guess I would recommend the Classic reissues because of their price and availability.

Now, for the hijack:

If price is no object, here are my recommendations:

AYE Mono - UK Track; there is NO rival or substitute. The bass on this (if your audio system has frequency extension) is the way Jimi wanted us to hear this great album.

AYE Stereo - late 70's/early 80's German Track replica APPARENTLY is the way to go, although I have never been lucky (or rich) enough to own one. The US has too much echo which makes it more psychedelic sounding, but it is NOT what Jimi intended, apparently.

Axis Mono - UK Track original.

Axis Stereo - UK Track original or late 70's/early 80's German Track replica. Although Jimi was not a fan of the Stereo medium, I personally prefer this in Stereo.

Electric Ladyland - UK Track original.

Cry of Love - UK Track original or Japanese. The Japanese is incredible in its sound stage and detail. Again, the Japanese released this one several times, and I have not heard all of them. But the two that I have are incredible.

Good luck to you.

alchemy likes this.
  24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Sung, is this the one? :angel:

JIMI HENDRIX
    “ARE YOU EXPERIENCED”
    GERMAN POLYDOR # STEREO 2459 390 (on cover)

LABEL: Orangish / Red POLYDOR with BLACK ENCIRCLED SPINDLE HOLE. On left hand side above “GEMA” (in fairly small lettering) is 2335 076 –- these numbers (not the ones on the cover) correspond to the dead wax info (which follow):

STAMPERS:
    A: [ There’s © 1967 and some letters / numbers crossed out, then, in bigger letters: 2335076 S1 ]
    B: [ There’s © 1967 and some letters / numbers crossed out, then, in bigger letters: 2335076 S2 ]

25. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Thanks for hijacking. :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.