Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Bingo. Even in that shoot I referenced the other day, he talks about numerous occasions where he either went home or threatened to go down because of something happening that he didn't like. Imagine if those of us with "real" jobs did that at work! LOL

2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

To touch on Jericho, it feels like he should get more love when discussing the top stars ever. He can and has done it all. One of the best heels ever, one of the best talkers ever, and always great in the ring. He is one of those guys you can match up against anyone and you know it will be good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just my take but I disagree. he had a stule that was very unique in the USA at the time. he held tons of belts in ECW, WWE and TNA from 1998-2010 so how did he not sustain it? a 12 year run as a top guy in 3 different companies is amazing and he has held more belts than a lot of guys who we'd say are HOF worthy

WarEagleRK likes this.
  4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Again, are we talking WWE hall of fame or a legit hall of fame? Everyone is worthy of the WWE hall of fame as they have no criteria for getting in. He belongs in the WWE hall of fame far more than many of the people in there. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't be in there.

Does the # of belts held equal hall of fame? If so, then R-Truth, Dolph Ziggler and The Miz are first ballot guys, and for the WWE hall that's fine. It's been forever since anything under the WWE/World/Universal titles have meant anything as far as who held them. Occasionally you'll get a guy who will make a big deal of a secondary title, but for the most part they are just props. The IC title in 2002 doesn't equal the IC title in 1992 as far as it's spot on the card and the drawing power of the champion.

RVD was always over, but never used in the top spot outside of ECW. His run as a top guy for a company was very brief and rarely ever happened after ECW folded. In WWE he was mostly upper mid-card. He was rarely ever in the mix with the main eventers. His style was unique, but you don't see people other than Shane McMahon doing a Van Daminator or a Van Terminator very much at all because the moves are too dangerous and that style mostly went away. (AEW won't let it die with some of their stips.) But being innovative alone doesn't equal a hall of fame career. You really can throw almost anyone's run in TNA out. TNA never made money, so it's tough for any top TNA star without a top run somewhere else to even be considered for a legit hall. ECW has an advantage over TNA in that it innovated so many things that WCW and WWF stole. Not many people are stealing ideas from TNA. Other than ECW, no company ever made RVD the top guy. His promos would never allow the WWE to keep him near the top. Even RVD's WWE title run was just a couple of weeks and used as a backdrop to launch the new ECW program.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Mark my words. Rob will be inducted into the CA(Cauliflower Alley) hall of fame. It might be ten years from now unless he retires real soon(which ain't happening yet).
    Sabu might never join his uncle, but Rob will.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. WarEagleRK

I hope so, I know he got the Thesz award a couple of years ago so he's in good with them. However, do they have a CA hall of fame? I think they just give out awards every year and don't do a HOF. The Thesz/Tragos hall of fame and the Observer hall of fame have some legitimacy to them as they are voted on by historians, wrestlers and media.

I have nothing against him. I just don't see him as an upper level guy with how his career played out and much of that has nothing to do with anything he did wrong, just that his boss didn't see him as that guy. Not to say that if he had gotten the push he wouldn't be, but he didn't get that.

7. WarEagleRK

For the record I think RVD was quite good, just not HOF level...unless of course we are talking WWE hall of fame then anyone Brooklyn Brawler and up are eligible.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

He got it. He stupidly screwed up. Number one. Him and Sabu have been poster boys for pot as long as I've known them. They were on the cover of High Times. McMahon knew all that, but Rob had earned a run with the belt. Rob knew better. I think Sabu probably lit up on the drive because he REALLY doesn't give a damn. After that it just doesn't matter because their stuff was real stank.
    Number two, 90 MPH on the Ohio Turnpike is just plain stupid without getting high. I have years of experience driving the turnpike. Cruise control and watch the signs.
    The upshot is that 6 months of plans were washed, and Rob was sent to the dog house. He took it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. WarEagleRK

It's Vince, how far do you think they we would have gone with him before he changed his mind because Cena or Batista looked better?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. WarEagleRK

It's weird how we are discussing RVD and Sid because they are kind of both sides of the same coin. Both were super over, one got chance after chance after chance because of his size and physical charisma. The other for the most part never really got a big chance because he was too small despite having a ton of athleticism and charisma. RVD's promos why not good were at least coherent.

Sid constantly had bad matches, RVD's were almost always good, some great* Sid tried to maim or murder someone, RVD smoked weed. Sid got push after push.

* I saw two RVD vs Sabu PPV matches in ECW live in person that were awful. I blame Sabu for both. At least he only puked mid match in one of them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

I thought RVDs 2006 title run was ended because of the arrest not just because it used to launch the new ECW? I don’t think a lot of wrestlers can to want to do a split leg moonsault or rolling thunder. Too much risk if you aren’t a super flexible guy but these moves and others were so unique to the USA when he started doing them
    RVD is semi retired though and has stated so which is why recognition is starting to roll in. I’d say being maybe the most successful over indie wrestler ever should get him more awards and inductions over the next few years. Maybe only Christopher Daniels is a bigger Almost strictly indie name in the USA

12. WarEagleRK

It ended because of the arrest, but his run as champion seemed like it was just to establish the new ECW show and have him as WWE champion to launch the return of the ECW title. I don't know if he was getting a long run as unified ECW/WWE champion once the new show launched. Likely a long run as ECW champion though.

He was definitely a unique performer who always worked hard. I don't think of RVD as an indy wrestler. Maybe indy-style wrestler. I guess if you consider ECW as an indy then I can see it, but they were running PPV's and on TV during RVD's time there so I don't think of them that way. He spent the majority of this career in major promotions.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Just me but if you had to search times and stations to find the wrestling it’s indie. TNA and ECW weren’t on some companies basic cable packages .

maybe my timeline is also off but I thought RVD won the WWE title months after the new ECW show was airing on tv . Is that not correct ?

14. WarEagleRK

If you have exclusively contracted talent and do tours I would say it isn't an indie. There is no independence if you can't work elsewhere.

Looking it up WWE's ECW started in June 13, 2006 and RVD won the WWE title 2 days earlier at the One Night Stand PPV.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

You are correct. I must have confused it with the first one night stand PPV and when the new ECW started

WarEagleRK likes this.
  16. WarEagleRK

Apparently the WWE punishment for your 3rd DUI is to win the tag titles.

Dugan, JCRW, MikeInFla and 1 other person like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

3 strikes and you get a title policy

MikeInFla, noname74 and WarEagleRK like this.
  18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Nothing can get in the way of a storyline.

Dugan, WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Watch. He won't be around long. He will be put out by Roman and/or his brother. He will then go into strict rehab. If they are smart they will keep him off the road and sober for at least 9 months.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. WarEagleRK

That could be what they do, but don't reward him at all by having him get a PPV payoff and another run as a tag champion. It's pathetic that someone getting a DUI for the 3rd time isn't immediately suspended and either forced to go to rehab or get fired.

Dugan and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Must be nice to have family connections and pedigree in the wrestling business.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. WarEagleRK

It pays off royally.

Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought the agreement was Naomi would not be pushed after each offense.

24. WarEagleRK

CM Punk reportedly talking with AEW about in-ring comeback

25. Matthew Tate