RSD 2021 7/17 (pressing/overall quality review) *second drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jul 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Let's post here about the pressing and overall quality of our Record Store Day RSD purchases from July 17, 2021 7/17/21 (second drop) here! Only a few hours left before the releases hit our hands...!

2. darkbreezes

darkbreezes Forum Resident

oh man i cannot wait to hear about Dr John, CSNY, The Small Faces, Aretha and Candi Stanton

AnalogJ, Shawn, DanBNash and 2 others like this.
  3. MarshallMan

MarshallMan Forum Resident

All 3 Missing Links by The Monkees sound good. Pressings flat and quiet. Glad I picked them up. Also pleased with the Bill Evans release. Also want to hear about Dr John and Sweet.

4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Aretha Live in a word, Excellent !

Sean, MikeJedi and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  5. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

6. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Any mastering initials in the deadwax that you can decipher?

WhatDoIKnow and tinnox like this.
  7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

So far,

War box
    Small Faces
    Pearl Jam

All quite excellent. Really, really good.

Saint Johnny, Swansong, Sean and 3 others like this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

BG !

MarshallMan and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  9. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Ohh.. thanks for the head's up.

tinnox likes this.
  10. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I picked up Canned Heat Living The Blues, The Allman Brothers Band The Final Note, and The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks.
    So far I've listened to Canned Heat and the Stones. Both albums sound amazing, no warps, and are dead quiet.

[​IMG]

Davidmk5, Swansong, agn and 2 others like this.
  11. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

For those who like a little bluegrass, The Infamous Stringdusters "Undercover" sounds very nice. Dead quiet. Some interesting covers.

12. bill13

bill13 Forum Resident

Bill Evans 3LP — a lot scuffs and scratches through all lps
    As told me in store they came without sleeves
    I checked several items — same situation
    Terrible control !

please confirm it and let us know how it sounds . I can not check at the moment

CBackley likes this.
  13. sluggobeast

sluggobeast Forum Resident

Would appreciate comments on sound quality of Hot Tuna “America’s Choice” reissue. How does it compare to original Grunt vinyl? One of my fave Tuna albums. Thanks!

uzn007 likes this.
  14. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

How does WAR and the Gorillaz releases sound? Any idea on who cut them?

15. MarshallMan

The LPs in the WAR box set say “Mastered for this release by Gil Tamazyan at Capsule Labs, Los Angeles”. Haven’t listened to them yet.

16. MarshallMan

My Bill Evans came with black paper poly-lined inner sleeves. The jacket was in a clear plastic outer cover with the 3 LPs in their black inner sleeves behind the jacket. My LPs were mint.

17. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

Monkees "Missing Links" Volume Two (The best in the series IMHO) sounds good. Disappointed in the packaging though. For the high list price, some liner notes and photos should have been included.

18. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Gorillaz look to be original and reissue releases. Box has a 2020 copyright. Debut album sounds awesome!

19. bill13

bill13 Forum Resident

I meant that they came to the store separately poly-lined inner sleeves and vinyl. And they were packed in store. So was I told

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Swansong likes this.
  20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I only picked up Bob Dylan Jokerman remixes. The sound is fantastic. Nice and quiet vinyl. Song sounds like it was recorded yesterday.
    It also includes extra lyrics that I have only heard on outtakes.
    Well worth the $15 to me.
    [​IMG]

21. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

4th in line at Indy in Colorado Springs and got everything i was looking for. Also hit up Leechpit for the Stones. Plus it was good too see all my peeps at the front of the line again this year!

Aretha Franklin “Oh Me Oh My: Live in Philly 1972”: simply put… stunning. It’s mixed a little “of the time” and tamer than it could have been if there was access to the original multi-tracks. Just her piano playing alone is worth the purchase.
    King’s X “Tapehead”: Wow! After suffering for years with the ****ty cd version of this, the recording sounds open and dynamic for the first time.
    King’s X “Manic Moonlight”: Muddy and murky but I think that’s what they wanted? There’s some weird light squealing noise on a couple tracks. Not sure if it’s the vinyl or the master. This era of KX (including “Tapehead” and soon to be released “Mr. Bulbous”) is not my favorite mainly due to the cds but I have to say these releases are surprising me. Certainly not perfect but have made this material eminently more listenable.
    Ultravox “Vienna 40th Anniversary”: I thought I’d never get this one but there it was! Really loving this Steven Wilson mix a lot. It’s been a long time since i heard this album but it sounds more balanced than previous.
    Foo Fighters “Hail Satin”: I love Foos. I love Bee Gees. What could go wrong? I am loving this! Great sound and a good mix of sincerity and fun.
    Rolling Stones “Hot Rocks”: Kept picking it up and putting it down. Kinda spendy. The track list is unbeatable tho and it’s turned out to be a rather well thought out presentation. Glad I got it. Will listen later tonite when i get more time.

Everything was well pressed and flat. The vinyl on the Foos was a bit noisy but I’m sure a good cleaning will help. The colors on the King’s X and Aretha are especially pretty and vibrant.

One more thing… Can someone please tell Warner that EVERY other label puts the “Made In Germany” sticker on the shrink wrap and NOT the actual cover. Anyone have suggestions on how to remove these without destroying the cover?

Okay… two more things… The King’s X albums are in completely unnecessary and overly bulky gatefolds. Another practice that needs to stop. Space consuming and just plain wasteful.

Davidmk5, JeffMo, Juggsnelson and 3 others like this.
  22. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

they sent the LPs without any inner sleeves and assembled them in the store? that sounds suspect and unlikely.

23. Jerry James

My guess is they did this to avoid seam splits during shipping. My copy of the Hargrove, also on Resonance, came this way this morning. If that's true, then I think it's a heads up play.

The Gomper and elgoodo like this.
  24. Jerry James

Anyone report on the audio quality of the Bill Evans? Debating on securing a copy....

Swansong likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Gorillaz? Damned! A friend even alerted me to the three copies sitting around, yet I thought he was talking about a box for the last album. Was there a Gorillaz Box for RSD?

landerstnkb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.