Rolling Stones Tattoo You 40th, 9 extra tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rs4951, Jul 17, 2021.

1. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Yee-haw. Any ideas on what it'll be?

3. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. Are there any more outtakes that weren't on the 2011 Some Girls deluxe edition?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Are they using material from GHS or B&B?

5. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

"...have done nine new tracks" could mean just about anything. Modern tinkering sounds like. Ought to be interesting.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Well, if the original album is included, they are!

Dozens... there will be plenty to choose from, I should think

Mosthaf likes this.
  7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The modern tinkering and horrible mastering have so far steered me away from all of the Stones deluxe sets. Alas, it looks like Tattoo You will be no different.

I am intrigued by the Faces news, though.

8. rs4951

A further quote from the piece:

"I've had a front row seat on some amazing rock'n'roll projects these last couple of weeks"

Rockford & Roll, dee, supermd and 5 others like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sounds more like what they did with the Exile on Main Street Deluxe Edition bonus tracks based upon the quote. Maybe they are taking some instrumental backing tracks and finishing them.

10. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Doubly intrigued by who will replace Mac. Pete Sears?

longdist01 likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And Ronnie Lane. I doubt it will be Tetsu as I think he is retired from music now.. Maybe Woody will overdub the bass parts.

12. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

So… What if Faces are mastered as Stones?

Trbnado likes this.
  13. MHP

Could just as well be that Rod, Kenney and Ron are using the same approach by overdubbing unused backing tracks. Highly doubt they are creative by the streak of light, suddenly.

MrSka57 and Jimmy B. like this.
  14. rs4951

Well, IIRC, either Kenny or Woody mentioned a few years ago finding loads of unreleased stuff..but if they reworked those the vocal would have to be 100% old or 100% new...and the way Rod does lyrics, he'd have to finish them off too as it has been rare to get an original outtake with fully complete lyrics.
    Also, he recently said he would never go back on old vault stuff (in a solo context)...so maybe a few covers and maybe a new original or two. Who knows how much stuff they have worked on over the decades... Back in circa '01 they were supposed to be working on an album called You strum and I'll sing...from which only the title track has ever been released.

jeremylr likes this.
  15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Maybe they can re-edit the "Start Me Up" video to wash away Mick's sweat stains. Great video, otherwise.

16. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I would think that one of the numerous takes of "Don't Stop" aka "Start Me Up" would have to be one of the nine tracks.

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Good article, but no specific mentions of Keith Richards--even when mentioning working on Tattoo You tracks with Mick Jagger.

Makes me wonder.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I remember reading an interview with Chris Kimsey and he recalled going through the vaults and selecting about 20 tracks for the Stones to choose from for Tattoo You. However, He mentioned in another interview the outtakes from the period You Win Again, We Had It All (Now both officially released on the Some Girls bonus disc.), Let's Go Steady (Again) and Munich Hilton.

So it is possible some if his choices on the original list were used on the Some Girls bonus disc.

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm sure the time has well passed, but I would love if they could finish/spruce up their old cover of Gettin' Hungry. It's such a hot performance but it would be great with doubled up guitar parts and a proper vocal from Rod.

20. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

Crossing fingers for any B&B-era material on this! Longer version of Slave maybe??

21. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

I also found it odd the way way he phrased it - no mention of Keith. Of course maybe Keith and Mick.worked.together in a separate session and then Ronnie came in later after Keith's parts were done.

jeremylr and coniferouspine like this.
  22. LondonViking

LondonViking Forum Resident

It could be due to proximity. Keith is in the States and clearly not too easy to travel.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, it jumped right out at me the way he said it. It made me think of Keith's health.

24. MHP

I don’t think it’s that complicated regarding Keith. He is in the States. If Keith has contributed something, which he probably have, they have sent the files to the USA and he has provided some overdubs which are then send back back to England. That’s what happend in 2009 with his dub-contributions to Exile.
    Ronnie’s comment regarding working with Mick, could very well be that they have just joined forces for overdubs for a couple of days, because both are in London anyway.
    Nothing odd about anything, from what I read.

25. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Wasn't Keith pictured recently in a studio in NYC by himself in the last couple of months? He probably was recording his parts for the reissue to be sent to Mick.