Aperion Audio's Flagship Super Tweeter, the Ultimate Audiophile Tweak! Wow!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

I would certainly be willing to do that test, as it is not one I have done before. I have moved the various super tweeters around on the top of the loudspeakers and I have turned them facing the back wall. In all these cases the top end suffered. I will attempt turning mine sideways and see what that does in the next few days. Let me say I have just not experienced the comb filtering problem as talked about, but I will turn them sideways and have a listen!:agree:

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Especially that most any audiophile tweeter will already have flat response extending beyond 20kHz, and any high-frequency enhancement from doubling the tweeters (and halving the impedance) is more sensibly implemented with a +3dB active EQ...

Response of a Tang Band 20-2240s 20mm tweeter (like what you might already have...). If curious, put a 2uF bipolar cap in series (17500Hz) and add in parallel to your current tweeter in your current loudspeaker.
    [​IMG]

Adding a tweeter in this critical range demands something like a biamp setup, and a MiniDSP HD crossover set at 18000 & 48dB/octave - to then hear nothing audible from the supertweeter.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  3. Litejazz53

You attached pic did not come through

4. harby

harby Forum Resident

Works for me. It's just a Bode plot of the conventional tweeter, continuing with flat response up to a displayed 40kHz.

5. TubeMon

TubeMon Well-Known Member

Litejazz,
    Did you ever turn those tweeters sideways?

6. Litejazz53

I have not, but promise in the next few days I will!!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. TubeMon

TubeMon Well-Known Member

Litejazz,

I'm really interested in these super tweeters, but I really need your input on sideways operation.

8. Litejazz53

I am sorry I have not responded before now. I thought the answer would be easy and straight forward but it's just not. At low volumes, I do not recommend the super tweeters be turned sideways. If you do turn them sideways at low volumes, change their output to no resistance, as you just need more high frequency volume when the speakers are projecting sideways. You get a nice "taste" of their capabilities at a low volume, but if you want the real Magnepan feel from these tweeters, the jazz needs to be turned up a bit, certainly not earthshaking volumes just above a modest listening level.

Again, I thought this would be a slam dunk answer but it is not. I have some very nice Jazz CDs and SACDs that have a very robust high end. I found some more at Goodwill this weekend, JVC Jazz Festival 1989 and JVC Jazz Festival 1990, the DIGITAL MASTER series and an unexpected sonic delight, MA SICONG, Music for Violin and Piano on NAXOS. All three are wonderful full bodied recording with lots of goodies to hear, so I went through the entire test again with these three discs.

When I turned the super tweeters sideways and lowered the roll off frequency as well as minimized the inline resistance the effect was wonderful, it truly expanded the sound field of the Polk loudspeakers and the brilliance and realism was so very nice.
    I hate to say this, but at a nice volume level (above moderate), but not much, I just might like the sideways turn better than the straight shot, the spacial effect was wonderful, something I really did not expect. I ended up listening to all three discs after I pulled out some "special blend," I was seated in the middle of the music and it was great. By the time I finished my second ham and Swiss, the sound was even better!

So, long story short, the sideways turn was a success at a bit louder volume levels BUT, and this is a BIG BUT for me, they look horrible. Terminals show, wire shows, the base shows, it's just not attractive, but sounded wonderful. The tweeters I have are probably the only set they offer that could be turned sideways, as all their others only emit sound from the front of the super tweeter. For me, I am very happy with a tweaked output level and the best roll off frequency for the particular music I am listening to. I trust this answers your question and I sincerely hope you do try a pair, any pair, you don't have to purchase the most expensive set, they are all wonderful!

Happy listening! :righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Bern

Bern JC4Me

10. Litejazz53

An absolutely excellent review. One thing is for sure, you are so correct about the dual firing design, it's a marked improvement. Additionally, these speakers improve everything in your music library, it's that simple! :righton:

11. Bern

Bern JC4Me

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Litejazz53

13. Litejazz53

It would be a fantastic time to take advantage of the sale prices, as this is the very best tweak I have ever used, these supertweeters are just wonderful, and the AMT is just on another level!

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.