Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. johng123

johng123 Active Member

I seriously thought one of my tweeters was blown or the amp was clipping (even though at a modest volume)

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Have not experienced that at all. I mainly use OS Fast and the treble is very clear and detailed.

3. johng123

johng123 Active Member

I've been using the same setting and it has been working well 98% of the time.

4. Influxor

Influxor Active Member

I am curious if you purchased it new from Vinshineaudio or if it might be a used or even older new model that you obtained elsewhere?
    It comes to mind I had read somewhere that the early models need a firmware update to prevent a clipping issue,
    but that issue has been resolved for awhile now.

You could try reaching out to Alvin Chee to see if that's a possible issue.

basie-fan and johng123 like this.
  5. johng123

johng123 Active Member

It's new. Purchased this June direct from Vinshine. So think the firmware should be up to date. Sent a note to Denafripps/Vinshine as well.

In case you are interested. When streaming the album Earfood by Roy Hargrove via Tidal or Qobuz. Its a 44.1/16 stream but a really nice recording and starts out sounding great. One example: from about 2:00 to 2:30 the trumpet solo starts to go up the scale and the treble just starts to disintegrate.

Thanks for all your interest and help thus far.

timind and Influxor like this.
  6. rockin_since_58

What track on this album are you referring to? I'll give it a listen.

7. johng123

johng123 Active Member

Sorry. First track titled "I'm Not Sure".

8. rockin_since_58

OK, will listen now on Qobuz.

johng123 likes this.
  9. rockin_since_58

This is a very nice sounding recording. It was clean all the way though the first track. Gonna let it play as I like it.

Influxor likes this.
  10. johng123

johng123 Active Member

Glad you enjoy. Not to belabor this but what are your Roon settings like? Keep thinking the Ares is oversampling some kind of half unfolded MQA file (which is most likely totally wrong).

11. johng123

johng123 Active Member

And I ordered the CD to see how that sounds run through both the Ares and direct to amp.

timind likes this.
  12. rockin_since_58

13. johng123

johng123 Active Member

Gotcha. Thanks. Not using DSP at present.

14. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Got a nice email from Alvin about the NOS situation.

I do think it's easy to overthink this sort of stuff. You either like it or don't, and it's tiring to think there are always "right" or "wrong" answers.

Full disclosure - I do have a heavyweight contender on order, to check out side by side against Venus II. It's not a DF DAC.

And yes, I'm broken in many ways. But that's all part of the fun /queue maniacal laughter

15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

The factory setting/shipped is OS SLOW.

16. bever70

I had the same issue in the beginning (more then a year ago), only in OS mode (not in NOS mode), but it was only on a few (loud) albums I have. Now I just checked those albums again and the issue is totally gone. I have changed a few things since then (new speakers, new cables, new amp,...) so I don't know if those had any effect on the issue. It didn't really bother me at the time as I noticed it only on a few songs on very few albums. I never heard it again after a few months, but because you mentioned it I just checked with one of the albums I have and the issue is gone, plays perfect now, never did any firmware/software upgrade.

Swann36, moops and johng123 like this.
  17. johng123

johng123 Active Member

Just curious was your equipment upgrade to more powerful amp/more efficient speakers?

18. rockin_since_58

Maybe give it a try with only enabling the Headroom Management. Can't hurt to try.
    Do you leave your Ares powered on at all times?

19. bever70

Amp is more powerful yes, speakers efficiency about the same. Different design though, from magnetostatic/planar speakers (with ribbon tweeter) to classic conus speakers (also with ribbons).
    Some songs on the album 'love deluxe' by Sade gave me these issues, not anymore. Have no idea why.

20. johng123

johng123 Active Member

I do leave it on all the time. I set Headroom to -3 and it seems to have alleviated the situation for the most part. Though still some graininess in the energetic top end which may or may not be part of the recording. Need to confirm. Also now in communication with Alvin Chee/Denafrips

21. rockin_since_58

Let us know how it turns out.

johng123 likes this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What other gear is attached to the DAC? What preamp? How long are the cables? Do you have gear connected to both the XLR and RCA outputs?

The YouTube review of the Ares II by GoldenSound mentioned that the outputs are driven right from the output of the ladders. There isn't a separate output stage. The consequence of that is that the DAC has a higher output impedance. The DAC will pair best with preamps that have a high input impedance. Also would not be best to have gear connected to both the RCA and XLR outputs of the DAC, even if the other gear is turned off. Long cables could also affect things.

I'm not sure how any of that would cause the distortions you're hearing. Because you say it sounds fine in NOS. Only OS has the problem. Just mentioning this just in case it somehow is affecting the distortions you're hearing.

bever70 and johng123 like this.
  23. johng123

johng123 Active Member

My system is Roon>Bluesound Vault 2i>Denafrips Ares II>Simaudio 240i Integrated>Dynaudio Special 40s
    All cables 1/2-1 meter or so Kimber Tonik or Audioquest or Analysis Plus. Only using RCAs.
    Been wondering if it has something to do with the DAC/Amp symbiosis.

24. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I wanna try one of these DACs

most super well measuring sigma delta DACs sound flat to me

bever70 likes this.
  25. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Maybe when I get my new DAC, I could send my Venus II out your way for a couple weeks to check it out.

Just got through the Audio Fidelity Rush- Hemispheres. I finally don't feel like i need to drag out my vinyl copy to get that "something" it has that no other digital version I'd heard had. Not no mo.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Kyhl, Tone?, basie-fan and 1 other person like this.