Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I wonder if it just comes down to the old rule of comedy, offensive jokes are only offensive if they're not funny. It's always been a bit unfair. If you make a good faith effort to do "edgy" comedy with borderline offensive material, but the humor just doesn't work, you get all the heat for using rough language, bringing up insensitive topics, etc. But if you just happen to be talented enough to make the same material funny and make people laugh, people don't hold any of that against you. So, QT can get away with these things if his movie works as entertainment.

But, yeah, I imagine from a production standpoint, if someone without that track record of making "insensitive" movies without inspiring a backlash tries to make a movie with risky content, the studio is going to reject it. Being a successful director always gives you more power to do things that the studios would block from an average director.

Chrome_Head, Carl80 and alexpop like this.
  2. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Active Member

I have been working my way through Tarantino's films over the last few months.

I watched Pulp Fiction last week. I hadnt seen it for about 15 years and I was worried that I might have outgrown it.... NOPE!!! Loved every second of it. Easily the best of his that I had recently watched, which are:
    Pulp Fiction
    Reservior Dogs
    Kill Bill Vol. 1
    Jackie Brown
    Inglorious Basterds (first viewing)
    Death Proof
    Once Upon A Time (first viewing)
    Django (first viewing)

Watched Kill Bill Vol. 2 last night and overall I was dissapointed, especially so since I had really enjoyed Vol. 1.
    I loved an hour of it, the period from Bill visiting Budd to Uma leaving the trailer after her fight with Elle. Everything else I could leave and I will only be rewatching that hour, easily the worst of his movies IMO.

There is a tremendous movie to be made from combining the 2 volumes. I feel a little sad that it was released in the 2 part format.

The biggest surprise I had from all his movies was Death Proof. I had seen it once on release and was unimpressed. This time, I thought the first part was fantastic. The second part was a little jarring due to the female driver who I found to be quite abrasive. I dont know if it was the writing or the casting that done it but I nearly turned it off. In the end I am glad I stuck with it and enjoyed it.

Jack Lord likes this.
  3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

This is a great watch, go’s into so much detail what inspired the films - this is part 2 but there’s 3 parts in a trilogy on you tube, part 3 is just about Once Upon A Time In Hollywood but I haven’t watched it yet.

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Can't remember if I said it in this thread or not already (too many pages, haha), but her "Oh god!" following Galdolfini's "Okay, no more Mr Nice Guy" line is one of the most chilling moments ever. She sounds utterly terrified in her delivery of those two simple words.

It's good, but for me it doesn't have the re-watchability of all of his other films. Too many scenes and moments that just lag.

jamesc, Chrome_Head and JediJones like this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I’m planning on doing a little rewatch of some of his films. I don’t think I’ve seen Jackie Brown since the theater—I bet I’d enjoy it far more now removed from the expectation of it being his Pulp follow up.

I haven’t really seen the Kill Bills more than once or at least twice. But it’s Death Proof I really want to watch again. They talked pretty extensively about it on Rogan’s interview and I don’t remember a lot of it, been ages since I saw it.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

Carl80 likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Death Proof?
    It’s a two part movie.’
    The first part : the serious bit.
    Second part : the silly bit.
    Kurt Russell saves it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. alexpop

What’s folks opinion on the other grindhouse stuff that came out about the time of DeathProof... like Hobo With A Shotgun.. Machete... Planet Terror? Admittedly QT, wasn’t involved with any of them cept Planet Terror.

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I remember really enjoying Planet Terror (more than Death Proof), but I also haven’t watched it in many years. I didn’t bother with the other offshoots.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

I way prefer Planet Terror to Death Proof( not because QT is in Terror)but because of Rose McGowan‘s leggy performance. Apparently she’s in Machete, but her part was edited out.

11. alexpop

QT: two best acting parts was in Dogs, and Planet Terror ( sleazy role .. lol). :)

12. alexpop

I dunno Hobo With A Shotgun has its moments... lol. :D

13. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Sometimes they're even better with a new soundtrack:

14. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Still of the opinion that "Jackie Brown" is a little masterpiece. As to where it ranks in his cannon I am not qualified to judge.

Carl80 and Rachael Bee like this.
  15. alexpop

Really? ... bloody awful. Lol :laugh:

JediJones and Carl80 like this.
  16. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

planet terror is fantastic imo ... always cracks me up .... same w machete lol .... i have hobo, but didn't get thru it the one time i started it ...... will try again at some point.

alexpop and Carl80 like this.
  17. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Agree Planet Terror is very funny.

polchik likes this.
  18. alexpop

Fergie’s in it( not for long lol) :D

Carl80 likes this.
  19. alexpop

Planet Terror :
    Cast ...?
    Naveem Andrews, with his Sayid Lost accent. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah true, some of the scenes are hilarious though, always gets me when he shoves the gun in her leg. Brilliant.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

That’s not Black Eyed Peas gal.. that’s Rose McGowan ( last good role. Pity).

Carl80 likes this.
  22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Not too sure mate, yeah him from lost, Bruce Willis, Guy from Six Feet Under and appearance from Mr QT himself.

alexpop likes this.
  23. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah Rose McGowan that’s right.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Planet Terror
    Prefer actually to QT’s Death Proof. :)

25. alexpop

Robert Rodriguez, then girlfriend.