Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Sinatra and Swingin' Brass" - 1962*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SinatraFan, Oct 21, 2014.

1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, a sonic "Le Polecat de Phew ee, aka too much Crunch" A pity as the music and the arranger deserved so much better. This is FAS here, why couldn't someone get him in a LA studio where he'd be respected. I wish Capitol would have still accepted him as an independent client or he'd used someone less hands off on engineering. This era of Reprise has so much music which is beloved, and too much "Soup", More fog than London ever dreamed of. Too much AME, and too much Capn' Crunch as the engineer, and rarely mixed/processed in a musically friendly manner.

Now, I still can overlook much of this, but it's Francis Albert Sinatra we're speaking of. Lesser singers, I'd not have time for with audio like this save for few. A shame, as Sinatra speaks to me emotionally on ever higher levels, and his "My Way" philosophy in life resonates with me, fighting special ed to get a chance for real education and getting ahead. So, I tend to side with Frank Sinatra.

He was my motivation when I was so frustrated, and so overwhelmed, I wanted to give up. Frank's music and attitude egged me on to get "My Way" and prevail, to shadowbox at life, to fight, to survive. He egged me on, I fought hard and got "My Way" and excelled in life, shadowboxed at life, grinned. Adapted, and he made McLover, McLover. So, if I come across as defensive about Frank Sinatra. please understand why.

And why I've played so many Frank Sinatra records to death. I live due to Frank Sinatra's cocky "I own it, the world is mine" attitude. So, I respect Frank Sinatra, and roll with Frank Sinatra, and do it "My Way" like Frank Sinatra. I laugh with Frank. Cry with Frank. Reflect with Frank, Swing and Grin with Frank. He is a constant motivator, and someone who makes me savor and reflect life and living. He connects with me on the highest level. He's a part of my life, as he will be with you if you choose to let him be. Frank's appeal transcends generations. I was a bit young for Frank. But adapted. Also, Frank Sinatra makes me grin, be happy, suck it up, and be McLover.

And also, Frank Sinatra is a survivor, and so is McLover. We bear scars from life and love, and from passion. This post is personal in a way I rarely do, and I wear my heart on my sleeve. Emotional to a fault, but only when the cause is right.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    CBackley, mikrt17, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^^Nice!

I wish Frank would have recorded at Radio Recorders (which he used briefly in spring of 1961, largely unreleased) or Sound Enterprises (used for one session, which begat Tina, The Last Dance, and The Second Time Around late in 1960). United's sound did not flatter the music, at least for the first few years Frank was there, which is a real shame. (I think I Remember Tommy was recorded and mixed pretty well, but there are many real sonic duds in the bunch.)

CBackley, bozburn, AJH and 1 other person like this.
  3. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I totally agree- those early Reprise albums were not well recorded, and I can only imagine how much better those early albums cold have sounded. I also agree with you about I Remember Tommy- depending on your equipment and which recording you are listening to, I Remember Tommy can sound very good.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I know this album doesn’t get as much love as other early Reprise albums, but for whatever reason it’s one of my favorites. I listen to it quite often. In terms of vinyl, I only have the UMe reissue. Mr. S shows so much jauntiness on this album, and I love the sound of the drums.

McLover likes this.
  5. MLutthans

I like the arrangements, and wish that Sinatra and Hefti had done more work together. Sound-wise, overall, though........oof.

McLover, bozburn and CBackley like this.
  6. CBackley

Yeah, the swingin’ brass gets harsh and pinching sometimes. What I wouldn’t give for a better sounding recording of these performances! (Which would require a time machine, I believe, given what I read about the tape used on another thread.)

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not so much the tape, but the recording curve used was the issue, and some engineering decisions.

CBackley likes this.
  8. CBackley

Gotcha. Sorry, I thought this was one of the albums where there was an issue with ABE tape and some other tape too. Since I don’t understand any of this at all, I’ll gladly accept any explanation. :)

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is AME which is a tape recording and playback curve which Ampex devised, not a brand of tape used. And those same machines did fine with standard NAB recording/playback curve. If AME was properly used, and recording levels kept very low like -20 on the meters, it worked fine. Most recording engineers kept slamming the meters.

MLutthans and CBackley like this.
  10. CBackley

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying!

11. MLutthans

12. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just saw that my Mono copy has an R-1005 - A/1 on side one and an
    R-1005- A 2 - B on side two (the A being crossed out on side two!)
    A handwritten mistake. Beautiful!

paulmock likes this.
  13. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

MLutthans likes this.
  14. MLutthans

@peopleareleaving - -

Anything for an Irene Jacob fan!

I think I found that on Ebay, but can't recall with 100% certainty. I do not own the actual disk.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  15. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

"That's gold, Jerry. Gold."

MMM, roda12 and MLutthans like this.
  16. MLutthans

0337_0817__20151022155634.jpg obit-hefti-large.jpg
    Does anybody know the provenance of these photos? Swingin' Brass album? Sinatra-Basie?

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Hefti allegedly wanted to title Swingin' Brass as The Thin One & Hefti. Mr. S nixed that one quickly. I would say they could be from the same session if I could only have seen Mr. S "full on" in the left photo to see if the kerchief & tie matches the pic on the right. But, given the credit that Hefti wanted I would go with Swingin' Brass. Basie was the main "partner" on Sinatra-Basie so Hefti didn't have a chance photo wise.

kennyluc1 and MLutthans like this.
  18. Sim2

Sim2 Forum Resident

I've hardly played this album over the years. However, I just picked up 2 early LPs.

The Mono UK cut album: UK A-2WMH & B-1WMH is superb. It has Sinatra in clear voice along with a vibrant sound (albeit still narrow). It is one that I could play over and over and will certainly needle drop. btw: side 2 plays much louder.

It is hands down better than the early US mono A/B-5 which is just awful (dull, low sound and of course still narrow).

paulmock likes this.
  19. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

Why is they can’t take that away from me in mono on the new HD mastering ?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

By “new” I assume you mean the 2014 HD download from Frank Sinatra Enterprises. I just listened to the samples of “They Can’t Take That Away From Me” at HDtracks, ProStudioMasters, and Acoustic Sounds. They are all most definitely in STEREO.

frus75 and MLutthans like this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

@frus75: OTOH… Since you’re in Spain, I suppose you may be referring to a more recent UNOFFICIAL HD download in the EU. I usually ignore those due to legal and quality issues. Link please?

frus75 likes this.
  22. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

Yes my friend I was speaking about the 2014 edition… time slips away!! I have contacted the site where I bought it and now I downloaded the stereo version. Maybe there was some downloading problem… but for sure that track I have is in mono sound. Well, now I have both. Thanks so much for telling me!

Bob F likes this.
  23. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

No, I only buy from legit sites, like hdtracks.. I don’t even know those EU downloads you mention. I checked and it was indeed stereo, as it’s on Apple Music new lossless and Apple digital masters series.

Bob F likes this.
  24. MLutthans

Eleven pages in, and no mention of the cover art being (yet another Sinatra cover created) by Jim Jonson! This little nugget of info was posted by @Bob F earlier this morning in another thread.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

jtaylor, frus75, kennyluc1 and 5 others like this.
  25. MLutthans

....and here's another Jonson cover that I happened to purchase yesterday (without noticing it was his handiwork):
    R-3656713-1434116666-9791.jpeg.jpg

riddlemay, CBackley and paulmock like this.