Remix or Re-recorded - you decide!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

There has been a bit of back and forth between myself and @deeluxdx7 on the KISS: The Songs thread about whether or not KISS remixed or re-recorded songs for their 1988 greatest hits disc, Smashes Thrashes and Hits.

Let us know what you highly attuned listeners think; is this song remixed or re-recorded?

2. Curveboy

Deuce (1974 original)

3. Curveboy

Deuce (1988 Smashes, Thrashes and Hits version)

4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I think it’s re-recorded for sure! The vocal intonations are very noticeably different to my ears. It’s very noticeable at 2:13 with baby if you’re feeling good, baby if you’re feeling nice! Listen carefully to the words good and nice in each version.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm no expert but they sound like re-mixes to me. No skin off my nose if I'm proved wrong though. Either way, I like the "new" versions well enough.

6. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

I think you should be more specific on the thead title, please. It seems your question is on preferences in general, but It turns to be a question on the recording of a specific album

7. Curveboy

I was going for generic...this isn't addressed just to KISS fans but the music experts (at least their ears) on this forum.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  8. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Gene’s vocal sounds re-recorded (or an alternate take) but everything else is remixed.

9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Didn't listen to every second but sounds like a remix to me, a bad one to boot. There are timing "oddities" in the drums right away in the tune that would be silly to try to reproduce. There are indeed vocal differences (2:13 as noted) but it's possible they used alternate takes from other tracks in a spot or two from the original sessions - intentionally or otherwise.

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Indeed, it is not entirely strange for a re-mix to use alternate takes. In this case, I reckon we're hearing that bit differently because the 1988 mix has one voice much louder than the other, whereas on the original mix both voices are more balanced.

Listening to the whole thing, though, the whole band's performance, there's just now way that the 1988 version is a completely new re-recording, which -this bit added for context- was the original argument in the other thread.

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Another example.

1977 Love Gun

Curveboy likes this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

1988 Love Gun

Re-mixed or re-recorded?

Curveboy likes this.
  13. Curveboy

Love Gun is a little tougher as they did add a keyboard part...it's minor but it is an addition that wasn't on the original tune.

AngusStanley likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That was my first thought as well. I doubt they touched up vocals for the new mixes; more likely there was an unused bit of vocals from 1973 that found its way into the 1988 mixes, intentionally or not.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm kind of amazed Gene allowed this to happen. Although it's also totally possible he had no idea and very little to do with this release in general.

mmars982 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I see your point, but I think the answer is still blindingly obvious! :D

Put up another track comparison. :goodie:

Curveboy likes this.
  17. Curveboy

Shout It Out Loud (1976)

18. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Love Gun sounds like a little more drastic remix to me than Deuce, but still a remix. Certain things in there sound so relatively changed that maybe they did sweeten things a bit with some new tracks, but the essentials are all there; a re-recording would imply it was from scratch. That being said I'm not that familiar with these songs or their history, just going by hearing these first time here. Either way, this effort reminds that what passed for good sounds in late 80's rock/metal has not aged well in any way.

19. Curveboy

Shout It Out Loud (1988)

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

These are remixes. Period.

They are not re-recordings.

21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I can't even believe there's any debate about this.

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Debate is not the word I would use :laugh:

Opinions about KISS?

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Wow 6 people believe this has been re-recorded?

I hope none of you serves on a jury.

24. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Generally not a fan of remixes unless sorely needed (XTC's Oranges and Lemons anyone?) but re-recordings? Hell no.

25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Tough to tell but I think they are either re-recorded or a combination of remixes and re-recording. The track times are also different between the original and the hits comp.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.