The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Steve basically confirmed that, short of someone setting up a Kickstarter on his behalf to fund the whole thing, it won't be getting a vinyl release.

2. Forget Yourself

Forget Yourself Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! Just bought both copies.

3. redmedicine

redmedicine Pop Punk Psych Prog

Haven't commented on this thread since I joined, but I'm a massive Church fan. Like many in the US, first heard them in the Starfish/GAF era. Lost track during most of the 90s. On a whim I saw them on the Hologram of Baal tour since I knew Peter and Marty were back on board, and was blown away. Since then I've been a full fledged congregation member, seeing most tours and listening to almost everything.

Anyways, I was curious to people's opinion on The Psychedelic Symphony. I've found it an enjoyable career retrospective and well recorded live album. But honestly it's not as much about the strings as the big occasion of the performance.

JeffMo and AlienRendel like this.
  4. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

They released 2 live DVDs within a year or so of each other - The Psychedelic Symphony and the Past/Future/Present performance. I like the performance from PFP better (3 full classic albums!) but the Psychedelic Symphony has a lot better sound and video. It's great to see what I think of as the "classic" Church lineup at work, but I could do without the orchestra.

redmedicine likes this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

Love both. Future Past Perfect has the definitive versions of "Space Saviour" and "Reptile", Psychedelic Symphony has the definitive versions of "The Disillusionist" and "Tantalized". Both excellent. I prefer Psychedelic Symphony of the two, it's one of my go-to Church albums.

6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Does anyone recall SK mentioning HOC would get a double vinyl pressing? It was one of his final Instagram performances near the end of last year. He performed "Swinging On The Moon" and said it might be his final release, on double vinyl. "HOC" wasn't mentioned as a title, just 'the next release'... Hope I didn't dream this. :)

My cd copy arrived today from Importcds. Listening now. Now listening.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    SJP likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Do check out IR version of Starfish - unbelievable!

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

They didn’t have Jupiter13 in stock by chance did they?

9. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I just picked up my copy of MOV Gold Afternoon Fix. Can’t wait to give it a proper listen tonight. I was really impressed with the P=A MOV (black vinyl issue). To these old ears it sounded like they had done a remix of that. My playback sounded like most of the reverb was tamed and some of the ambient guitar work was right out in the front of the mix. At first I was really unsure, it sounded like hearing it for the first time and I felt something was OFF. However, once I settled into it, I really enjoyed it. I feel it’s a nice alternative to the original mix. Anyone else hear what I hear with that?

Defrance likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Did you get MOV GAF at a brick and mortar store here in US?

11. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I didn't check... I pre-ordered the vinyl, which now appears to be ETA for October delivery.

JeffMo likes this.
  12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

HOC CD arrived today for me as well, also from importCDs.

I like it well enough but the ethnic style of music that envelops some of the songs will never be my go-to SK choices. This is why I got rid of one of the Kilbey/Koch albums that I had purchased a while back. Still, this one is just diverse enough to keep my interest and it will be a keeper.

Probably wouldn't buy this on vinyl. That is, until it comes out on vinyl and I find that I cannot help myself!

13. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Yes, they have had a bit of bad luck with me as of late. Meaning I pre-ordered, it was on a pick sheet. Then never got picked and canceled from their system. That happened for P=A color variation, Nilsson MOFI, and a few others. However, lately they got me the all black P=A and now the GAF. I can’t be mad at them for something that’s out of their hands from a dc standpoint and they always take care of me one way or another.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I just listened to mine and compared it to a sealed Canadian original pressing that I had waiting around for the right moment to listen to it. I really didn't notice much difference at all; however, I am listening through headphones on not the best pre-amp. Someone with a better system may be able to shed more light on it. The colour of the vinyl itself isn't that awe-inspiring either... more like Pewter Afternoon Fix.

15. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

A sort-of new Kilbey-Kennedy release has dropped today on Bandcamp:

Intriguing Objects, by Kilbey Kennedy

Kilbey Kennedy - Intriguing Objects. A digital album of outtakes, remixes and curios 2009 - 2020. On sale BANDCAMP FRIDAY starting 5pm today Sydney time. Includes the previously unreleased fan remixes of our first album Unseen Music Unheard Words (2009)

16. InStepWithTheStars

What songs has Martin Kennedy only remixed once? Are there any? I know there's none that only have one mix... :p

17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Reviving this thread with a "now playing" theme. DualDisc 5.1 that I haven't spun in forever. Probably my most ignored Church album in their catalogue. Must fix that immediately!

What Church are you spinning?

[​IMG]

BTW, I'm loving how "Nothing Seeker" is exercising my subwoofer!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    DME1061, Aura, JeffMo and 4 others like this.
  18. InStepWithTheStars

The IR Starfish! The new laptop I bought has either a motherboard or RAM card issue and needs to go back... in order to send it back I need to take the ~500 GB worth of stuff off the computer using a series of flash drives since both of my hard drives have problems (one is faulty and the other is completely full). So I had to purge my CD rips to free up space (the rarest ones and the ones I've had problems ripping are safely on another computer) but I just couldn't bring myself to delete this one. It sounds so wonderful. Although I did have to go in and drop "Milky Way" down a dB because for some reason (probably like this on the tape) it's noticeably louder than the others.

Forget Yourself is a gem. I think that the best material of both the Church as a band and SK as a singer and songwriter is contained within After Everything Now This and Forget Yourself. Neither album is perfect on its own, but a ~50 minute album containing the best songs from each is, IMO, the ultimate Church album. That being said, I'm not upset that we got two albums of good + great instead of just one album of only great. Good is still good. :)

Also, this probably belongs in the SK solo thread, but I finally scored the rare Isidore promo single with "Andalusian Dogs" and "Mitternight". I think this means I have every officially released Isidore track. With Jeffrey Cain now in the Church, I'm looking forward to the new music (although I do hope that the nasty upper midrange/treble boost of the two Isidore productions doesn't continue, ergh).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    SJP likes this.
  19. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

After many years of thinking, *hey dawg, you should check out the Church, I finally did this week. "Tantalized," of Heyday, is a straight-up banger for the ages. Wowzers! At the very least, I'll be looking for that 12" single soon.

*I didn't really think about it quite like that.

SJP likes this.
  20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

You have a long journey ahead of you. Should you choose to accept it, you will be rewarded in spades.

JeffMo and StephenGR12 like this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

If you think the studio version is good, you'd better check out the live versions. This comes from the Psychedelic Symphony album:

jamesc, trat, jimhb and 4 others like this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

And if you like that, you've got to check this one out...

SJP likes this.
  23. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

Thanks for those. I will check them out. Bummed I missed one of the f's in "off."

I've listened to Heyday and Starfish two or three times each and Seance once. Always nice to add more records to the list.

SJP likes this.
  24. InStepWithTheStars

Be sure to get the Intervention Records release of Starfish. Hybrid SACD is available now, vinyl is backed up at the pressing plant but should hopefully be done soon. Sound quality is phenomenal, so much better than the original or the terrible remaster from 2005 (which was probably used on all vinyl reissues from the past decade).

25. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

That’s a good album, I recently found Kilbey’s The Slow Crack on LP autographed for $13 and spun that one. And his CD Narcosis is on the way.

SJP likes this.