Kill Bill: Volume 1, Volume 2, The Whole Bloody Affair and Volume 3?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's no pre-existing thread for Kill Bill on the forum that I could find, so I'm starting one for discussion of all things Kill Bill.

Quentin Tarantino recently talked again about a potential Kill Bill Volume 3 on the Joe Rogan show. It would feature Uma's real-life daughter playing her movie daughter. Apparently, a few days later he said Volume 3 hasn't "come to fruition" because making the first two was just too draining for him.

The legend of the supercut of Volume 1 and 2 titled The Whole Bloody Affair lives on. QT has teased a home video release off and on for years. This version would be made from the original Cannes edit. The Cannes edit has been shown at his New Beverly Theater and very occasionally elsewhere under this title, with French subtitles. A review describes the differences here:

'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair' Has Small Changes That Produce Big Results – /Film

QT has discussed an additional change that would be made to a home video release of Bloody Affair, 7 new minutes added to the anime sequence. This footage has not yet been seen by the public in any form to my knowledge. QT planned it for the original film, but cut it out for time after deciding to split the film into two movies. He said the anime studio went ahead and produced the dropped sequence on their own and gave it to QT after hearing he planned to release a supercut of the movie:

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair With Extended Production I.G Sequence Might Hit Theaters in 2015

There is apparently one, and only one, home video version of Kill Bill Volume 1 that includes some of the original, uncensored footage from the Cannes edit. That is the Japanese DVD version. It is not region-compatible to North America (Japanese Blu-rays are, but not DVDs). The Japanese Blu-ray apparently reverted to the standard version of the movie, not the uncensored version. The uncensored Japanese DVD appears to be for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Bill-Vol-Director-Japanese/dp/B0000DKMK0

The differences between the standard version and the uncensored Japanese DVD version are extensively detailed with screenshots on this web page:

Kill Bill: Vol.1 (Comparison: International Version - Japanese Version) - Movie-Censorship.com

yesstiles, jamesc, mikeyt and 7 others like this.
  2. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

It is my favorite movie of all time. I can't imagine watching vol.1 without vol.2 or vice versa - its all one movie to me.
    I will admit sometimes I skip over the anime sequence.

905, Echoes Myron and JediJones like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'd really like to see that someday.

JediJones likes this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was thrilled to see both parts in an actual movie theater once again a few months ago. Just spectacular on the big screen.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

“ hasn’t come to fruition “
    QT’ regarding KB3 ..has a dandelion complex, I will make Kill Bill 3, I won’t make KB3... i will etc. ... Such a teaser. :)

JediJones and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. JediJones

7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I really want the whole bloody affair cut. Come on already Quentin.

yesstiles, 905, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow, the anime scene is one of my favourite bits, so well put together and vital to the story , my favourite scene along with the fight in the snow at the end, my favourite film of all time as well, and pulp fiction , ha.

Regarding Vol 3, I can’t see him going back to that at this stage of his career, probably more chance of us getting the two parts released together uncut.

9. JediJones

Carl80 likes this.
  10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Volume 2 was the one I preferred. Volume 1 has lust a little too much excess and repetition. Similar to what plagued Django Unchained in the final reel.

Whoopycat and JediJones like this.
  11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It will be coming up to a 10th anniversary soon for Django , is that a definite he’s done an uncut? Wonder how much was cut out of that one.

12. JediJones

It's in the article. This is from when Once Upon was in post-production. He says it's at least 30 minutes longer:

"I’ve actually cut a director’s cut of Django. That’s about like three hours and 15 minutes, or three hours and 20 minutes, something like that. That’s one I wouldn’t do as a miniseries, because it would just be better [as a movie]. I thought about that idea, but that would just work better as one movie. Just a longer one as far as I was concerned. So I’ve actually done that. We’re just kind of waiting some time after Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and we’ll release that eventually."

Chris DeVoe, unclefred and Carl80 like this.
  13. alexpop

Unchained?
    Take SLJ out of the equation and the film sucks.

14. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I usually skip over the anime sequence. That disturbs me.

milankey and JediJones like this.
  15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Interesting given how much he was hyping it there for awhile. Possible options:
    1. Complete Mythologizing Bullroar on Quentin's part
    2. Mirimax/Weinstein issues.
    3. Waiting for 20th anniversary release in 2023.

I will remain optimistic and hope for option 3.

Carl80 likes this.
  16. JediJones

17. alexpop

18. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I thought Thurman refused to ever work with him again?

19. alexpop

Thurman ?
    That’s the crux of Kill Bill 3.
    They fell out over the accident while filming Kill Bill... QT: “ yeah it’s safe “ Uma in car slides of road into a ditch ( no stunt double).

Shoes1916 likes this.
  20. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Exactly - permanent neck/back injury & a lifetime of pain.

alexpop likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Vol. 1 is far better. The confrontation with Bill at the end of Vol. 2 is WAAYYY too talky and anti-climactic.

Don't really have any interest in a Vol. 3, and hope Quentin does an entirely new project rather than spend time on a sequel.

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I love both 1 and 2 equally. It is impossible to choose a favorite.

I respectfully disagree. All of the talking really showed us how deep the relationship between Bill and Beatrix was prior to their split, and I loved how quick the actual fight was, with her busting out the move he didn't know she knew how to perform. And it gave them the chance to have a final exchange before he stood up and took the final steps before his life ended. Spectacular writing.

yesstiles, jamesc, Playloud and 3 others like this.
  23. alexpop

Yeah.. I think the reason QT mentioned KB3 was to get Uma to drop any possible court / sue procedure during the Metoo ( Weinstein) thing a few years back. QT gave her the film clip of Thurman car accident ( which she asked for years to get ).

Shoes1916 likes this.
  24. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Concur!

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

I’m not surprised he used Maya Hawke sweeten the deal. Her being in Once Upon A Time In .. Hollywood. Possibly the mooted KB3 :)

Shoes1916 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.