Andrew Jones Is Departing Elac

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bhazen, Jul 19, 2021.

1. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus Thread Starter

He is?! Doesn't look it!!

Of course, at my age almost everyone looks like a punk by comparison ...

Edit: just looked at his FB profile pic. 60+ is believable. He always looks so happy and healthy, so I just assumed he was younger.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    33na3rd and SpeedMorris like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

33na3rd and bhazen like this.
  3. bhazen

My very positive experience with the Debut B5's may be partly due to being driven by a Naim Nait XS2 (a great amp.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  4. bhazen

Thank you. I don't know how to get a screen grab on my phone.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Proof positive that higher end gear can work exceptionally well with lower budget equipment. Or, perhaps more accurately, that contemporary budget gear is more than good enough to sit comfortably with higher priced components.

BGLeduc and bhazen like this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Depending on your phone, it's usually a combination of keys - so on mine (Samsung S10) it's pressing down the volume down and power buttons simultaneously. Screenshot.

Check online - there'll be a site somewhere that'll tell you how it's done for your mobile.

bhazen likes this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I would have guessed "approaching 60", so 65 was a surprise. I had assumed that Henry Kloss and Roy Allison were in the game in their 70s, but it appears both hung it up at about 70. Henry in particular looked older and did die just short of 73. Roy apparently did consulting work for other audio companies after closing RA Labs. I believe that Henry's final project was the excellent Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 radio.

sunspot42 and bhazen like this.
  8. DeafAsAPost

DeafAsAPost Well-Known Member

The ARB-51 and ARF-51 are active, in the "classic" sense of the term (analogue crossovers, one amp per driver). I think he nailed it with these by leaving the digital processing out of them. It would be good to see some further development, maybe using Eigentakt amps?

Brother_Rael and bhazen like this.
  9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

His Linkedin page lists him as attending the University of Surrey starting in 1973. I suppose he could've been a child prodigy, but it's likely he was 18 in 1973, which would make him 66 in 2021.

SpeedMorris and bhazen like this.
  10. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

And the Arb-51 is a great sounding bargain winner. Happy I grabbed a pair

11. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

I think you have excellent judgment.

Khorn likes this.
  12. Khorn

Thanks but I have to give credit to trusted advisers. I was clueless about them before buying.

13. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

It takes a village. :cool:

Khorn likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

yes, 2019 AXPONA, horrendous.

15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I can second that

16. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

The Elac 4pi omni supertweeters were the only Elac product I owned. Pretty dazzling!

17. Arclight73

Arclight73 Forum Resident

This is a spot on assessment. NHT has been a great speaker company but there a shadow of it's former self. I haven't seen a new design from these guys in well over 10 years. It's a shame because they have produced some truly great speakers. I'd be real surprised if there still around in 5-10 years.

SpeedMorris and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Sheesh, that's rough.

19. avanti1960

yes, quite a disappointment. they looked amazingly impressive though.

20. Khorn

Is that sonic assessment good or bad? I don’t quite understand.

21. avanti1960

not so good:] how about midrange backward, way way back?

22. Khorn

The only speakers that I have ever heard (and I suppose there may be a few others) that sound like real live sound emanating from an adjacent space were the LS3/5A for absolutely natural human voice and my Klipschorns that can reproduce the sound of piano to the extent you would swear it’s in the next room or the house your walking past. Great attribute for a speaker.

23. Khorn

Sorry, when I posted above I believed that you were describing the opposite effect.

24. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

The PS Audio speakers were kind of the talk of the show that year. There was a lot of whispering in the hallways about how bar they were.
    I guess they were prototypes. I don't know if they needed more burn in or...I don't even know. They had a pretty big room right near the check-in. I'm sure they spent a lot of money for a prime location and it just didn't sound good. Honestly, I felt bad about the situation.

25. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

If the Pioneers are typical of his style, I don't get the accolades. The Pioneers, both versions of the book shelves and floor standers are pretty horrible IMO. Did he have anything to do with the old '90s Kef reference? I had a pair of Kef Reference Ones that I really liked.
    [​IMG]

bhazen likes this.