Little House on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 18, 2018.

1. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

troggy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

No problem.

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, good point, that happened a lot on this show. Another thing to look for is when it's supposed to be winter, you'll sometimes see green grass and leaves on all the trees...in Minnesota...in December.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Early Midwestern snow storm :)

troggy likes this.
  5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The best example of this is one of the post-series TV-movies, which takes place at Christmas. It starts with a long montage of ice melting and photos of green hills while Michael Landon narrates how spring came early that year - in December! As opposed to - “This is one of our last episodes and we can’t be bothered to fake cold weather anymore.”

Silken, troggy and Grand_Ennui like this.
  6. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Not sure how this'll pan out, but maybe it'll make viewers revisit the Wilder books, which I remember enjoying. Wonder if Landon, Jr. would be directing?

7. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

You obviously didn’t watch it because many of storylines were not for kids. Not in a “very special episode” kind of way either. Those kinds of episodes were normal series episodes that happened regularly.

Seeing as Albert was introduced during the Mary going blind storyline, he wasn’t introduced to spice things up or make the show less stagnant. Sorry to disappoint you but his addition to the show worked and added to the show.

Albert’s drug storyline was only a 2 part episode during the last season. Wasn’t some extended arc to pull down his character. To say he was kind of a drag during that would be very realistic of people in the throes of drug addiction.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

If they'd stayed accurate to the books the show might've had two seasons or three at best, they had to expand somehow if it was going to keep going. Mary's blindness was a real from the books piece of drama but they used it to explore her and the disability further for tv. Also Nellie Olsen was a mainstay of the tv series while really not such a major figure in the books. I remember a very odd episode focusing on Carrie where she has an imaginary world or somesuch and it seemed quite innovative for the format, also made a pretty dull character, at least slightly more deep, in real life the younger sister was closest to Laura throughout life.

It's like listening to '80s music, sometimes things can rise above the studio over-production... and sometimes '70s tv episodes do, but sometimes they reek of the formulaic schmaltz! I can watch The Brady Bunch go to the Grand Canyon or Hawaii and enjoy it still, but there are other stories that make me cringe too much to enjoy again, like Greg doing that Johnny Bravo thing. :shake:

9. :yikes:

(Cringe! OMG a reboot Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!)

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my personally? I just felt it was uncalled for...but, whatever.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. beccabear67

Tonight, Nellie Olsen tries to cop smack during a blizzard! :eek:

12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I watched loads of episodes. I didn't like it at all. We'll have to agree to differ.

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I liked it at the time but as a kid what did i know, to me Laura seemed a beautiful and spirited older woman!

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

^ Thread win.

I had a dear friend who LOVED this show, so I watched it twice:

In the first episode I saw, this blind girl (the main girl's sister?) traveled to a frontier city (for an operation on her eyes maybe???) & played a violin & the family encountered a boy on the run & in hiding + a bunch of crooked politicians.

I was intrigued, so I watched another episode...

It began with this sweet girl drowning! :(

I couldn't finish watching (true story!), and never tried to watch again - too dark & violent for me!

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Mary!

THAT was the blind girl.

The show was WAAAAAAAAY too exciting/upsetting for me; that girl drowning!!! :shake:

17. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

the reboot probably explains why Peacock is offering the classic LHOTP for free promotion streaming; previously it was part of their paid section.

18. Hookian

Hookian Forever 80s

Mary did not drown, nor did she die during the series. The girl that drowned was a friend-of-the-week who Laura convinced to go swimming at the pond and then drowned after the girls all ducked under the water to keep some peeping tom boys from seeing them. The girl's mother had a breakdown and kidnapped Laura afterward. Still probably not your cup of tea.

905, HaileyMcComet and Shoes1916 like this.
  19. Hookian

Hookian Forever 80s

They could have ran for at least 5 seasons on book only material, if they had been willing to switch locations and make the moves part of the ongoing plots. The biggest problem is the gaps in time between books and the fact that so much interesting stuff from their real lives were left out of the books, in order to appeal to children and hide their flaws. A series that presented Pa more realistically instead of superman could definitely work in today's market

beccabear67 likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

please don't...the comments on this link are interesting...seems not a positive to some. I Can't imagine the destruction they will do to this wonderful beautiful TV series...

21. beccabear67

There was one part in the books where they are by a lake in Minnesota and I have ancestors that spent a short time in the same area around the same time. They didn't settle in the Dakotas but in Wisconsin and Illinois. My great-grandmother was born in Illinois and eventually married into Canada. She had lots of stories about one room school houses, mules, natural disasters and disease. Also the only great grand-parent I got to know and talk with.

Interesting to imagine what a for-adults series by Laura Ingalls-Wilder might've included!
    [​IMG]

Sisters Carrie, Mary and Laura Ingalls around 1880
    [​IMG]

22. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I didn't think she did! That's what I remember! I couldn't watch that far & now that I know this, I'm glad I didn't - sounds like a Starsky & Hutch episode! :help: Definitely not!! :eek:

23. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Laura in 1880 be all "Are we done yet? I need to start writing about this!!!" :D

And I just noticed that Mary & Laura's dresses are made from the same material!!! :eek:

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

There was a real Laura Ingalls?

25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yes, she was a real person, quite celebrated in the Midwestern areas of the United States..

Laura Ingalls Wilder - Wikipedia

Shoes1916 likes this.