News Of The World a great new western

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Mar 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK if it's out and out great, but it certainly circles around greatness. The cliched elements are often neatly side-stepped or addressed in a resourceful way, the acting is first rate, and Hanks' character has lost a lot and shows it. He knows how to fight but is smart enough to think ahead. More interesting than just taking dead aim at the bad guys, who really are rotten.

Maybe the dust storm was one problem too many

2. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

There's no way I could stomach seeing this movie unless the last scene has Tom Hanks getting gutshot.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Maybe we can get them to reshoot a new ending where the girl shoots Hanks because he's decided to take her as a child bride. She'll get the shotgun and load it up with three cent silver coins so Hanks will be so full of holes that he looks like Swiss cheese donating blood. Will that work for ya? ;)

4. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Any movie you write will be a must see for me!

Rachael Bee likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I knew that, statistically, there must be somebody out there who hates Tom Hanks.

I just never expected to find two of them in one place.

groundharp likes this.
  6. Rachael Bee

I don't hate Tom Hanks! I just wrote an alternate ending for the haters. I like the original ending where Tom and the girl collected beaucoups of small coins for reading the news.

7. I'll give this a shot. I dig westerns, if they are done right. This one looks a little too clean and polished for right after the Civil War.

I should say that my favorite western is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford for accuracy in tone, language, setting and authenticity. It would take a helluva lot to top that one.

But hey, I enjoyed Open Range, so that's something.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Rachael Bee

I don't think so. Hank's character is unhappy with the outcome of the war. He is very resourceful. He devises a business model to collect small demonization coins from the illiterate. Business is good because there's plenty of illiterates to go around.

I also like The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford very much. I just saw The True Story Of Jesse James and I can't recommend it.

9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I liked News of the World just ok. Now, The Assassination of Jesse James was a masterful film, altogether on another level. A gem of film making, but you have to know it is not a conventional western in that it is character driven, not a wall to wall shoot-them up.

10. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Despite two of the era's biggest movie stars being in it, I always thought the use of B&W for that film was budgetary, though I could be wrong...

12. Lenny99

Really? I never thought it was due to the budget and for the same reasons. Lol.

I read that it was the director, John Ford’s choice. But, at the time rumor had it that Paramount wanted to save money. It was shot on a sound stage and not in Monument Valley. So that also leans towards budget cuts.

Another interesting tidbit I read; Wayne was already struggling with cancer yet undiagnosed.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Lenny99

I never used to be a John Wayne fan till I paid more attention to his acting. He said some lines that others would have ruined. He was able to pull off the ridiculously great, fair, yet tough part. He was like Bogart, (though Boogie was a much better overall actor), and Eastwood. They could all pull off that type of part better than almost anyone. And, I think it’s hard to do.

The type of parts they played were often unrealistic to the extreme, but they made those characters seem a acceptable.

Think about Eastwood telling Hackman in that iconic scene near the end of “Unforgiven”, “Yes, I’ve killed women and children and just about anything that walks or crawls. And I’m here to kill you…,,”. That’s hard to say that in a believable manner.

Or Bogart in the last scene of the “Maltese Falcon” as he tell Jan Aster, “Sure I love you, but I’m nit gonna be your sap”.

It’s almost impossible to say those lines without laughing. Who would say those things in those given moments if time. Yet those guys could pull it off. Not many can…..

Pete Puma likes this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Sooo....I see some great Westerns mentioned upthread. I'm here to tell you that I just saw The Harder They Fall on Netflix and the movie is the exact opposite of the fine movies mentioned. I couldn't decide if it's to be considered a dramady, and it has its laughs, but honestly, Idris Elba, Delray Lindo, and Regina King seem to be wasted here. The movie has an all-black cast and the one thing that I truly disliked was the music in the film. Hip-hop and westerns don't mix well. It's like everything the movies trying to do has been done better in other flicks. I'd give it a 3-3 1/2 outta 5!

15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I just watched this movie. It was very interesting.
    Internet says it cost 38 million to make.

How is that possible? Special effects etc?

Made 12 million.

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

It all adds up: The salaries of the actors, production/post-production, marketing, not to mention paying the caterers...

$38,000,000.00, while it sounds like a lot (and it *is*), in the movie making world of today, that's a pretty modest budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.