Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Thank you for the post, RoyalScam.

I haven't contacted Qobuz, but your suggestion prompted me to go back after un-favouriting one of the selections. It still gives the same message when I try to play it in CD-quality. Interestingly, I noticed the album now has a Hi-RES identifier below the album artwork, which wasn't there before (or maybe I just didn't notice it before). I tried switching my preference to the Hi-RES this time and voilà ! it plays in Hi-RES ! In the past, I have been able to play a Hi-RES album in any format. What is weird is that this particular album, the last one I had this trouble with, will play in Mp3 or in Hi-RES but not on the CD-quality setting.
    I'm just happy that at least I'm not limited to Mp3. whew!

:righton: thanks again for the suggestions!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    RoyalScam likes this.
  2. Crimson Witch

I am using a phone, and just got the latest app update yesterday. I don't think it's a bandwidth issue as I just got it to play in Hi-RES (see previous post) which follows with what you just described - being available for stream in Hi-RES but not CD-quality. I wonder if it is a glitch as @RoyalScam suggested (?)

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I just assumed it was part of the licensing terms. Who knows, maybe the high res would time out too. I was listening to the latest Haim album and I went back to listen to it a second time and found the situation you describe. I haven't listened to it in high res. Maybe that would become unavailable after one or two plays too and then I'd need to buy it. There are a lot of various licensing deals out there -- like companies that make some titles from an album but not the entirety of an album available via streaming.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me. It is a brand new album that came out last month, so that would seem plausible.
    And I have seen albums up on Qobuz where some of the tracks play in their entirety where others have a tag next to the track indicating it is a sample and only a short excerpt plays.

I am just glad that nearly all of the music I love Qobuz for──LPs & EPs that have either never been issued on CD , or are scarce and quite diffucult to obtain on CD ,or any physical format for that matter, in North America──seem to be stable in terms of availability on the platform.

TonyCzar and tfunk182 like this.
  5. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

6. Stereosound

Interview with Manley Laboratories

7. Stereosound

From Qobuz today:

Listen to all of your favorite songs from the car with online streaming now available on the Carplay interface!

You may already be using Carplay offline; now you can access all of your favorite content online.

sharedon and coffeetime like this.
  8. Crimson Witch

It happened again. This time I played an album once, marked it as a favourite, but this time now it won't play anymore no matter which format setting I select. I get the same ballon with the message saying impossible to play. I guess I'll try to reach admin but last time I tried (regarding a different issue) they never replied.

9. Stereosound

Don’t know if it would help but have you tried emptying/clearing your que before trying to replay anything?

10. Crimson Witch

I don't know how to do that. There seems to be only one menu item with the word "que", and that just says "add to que". But I've never even touched that because I don't know how the function works. I combed through all of the app screens just now and the word que appears no place else.

11. Stereosound

12. Crimson Witch

Update :

Okay, so as of today, an album I was having this trouble with, one that originally played in CD-quality but then later would only play in HI-RES and Mp3, is now playing in CD-quality again !

@chervokas has previously suggested a possible bandwidth issue, though if it were then I would have thought the higher-bandwidth formats would cease to play before the lower-bandwidth formats, instead of the opposite as I afterward discovered. It may still be bandwidth issue, the nuances of which I am not privy to.

I did notice on the last couple of days however that sometimes when I first open up the App that message-balloon that reads “It is impossible to play this track ─ thank you for choosing another format or play a different track” pops up while on the home-screen when no song has even been selected for play. This makes me wonder if the problem is a glitch of some sort . It has the earmarks of something not functioning quite the way it is supposed to.

So it is either intermittently occurring or has been resolved, or is a quirk of bandwith.

13. Crimson Witch

Addendum to Update :

I am noticing now too that some albums are unplayable in any of the offered formats, always showing the .. “impossible to play .. ” message, while other albums play perfectly in all of the formats. And some have been changing back and forth between playable and unplayable from one day to the next and then back again. Strange.

Edit :

and now it is happening to about one in four albums on my favourites list.
    :cry:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  14. Crimson Witch

Correction :

in the last 3O minutes it went from only 3 out of every 4 albums being playable to less than one in four albums being playable.

15. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

@angelo73 Are you giving these updates to Qobuz customer service by any chance?

16. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Can you point me to where I can read about the details on this please?

17. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

This really smacks of some kind of corruption. I'd firstly try them in the web player to confirm its not an issue with your account or a licensing thing with those albums - Qobuz

Then sign out, delete the app and data from settings, reboot and reinstall.

Crimson Witch and Dave 81828384 like this.
  18. Crimson Witch

I dont know another way to reach them. I tried to reach out before but got no reply. That's partly why I am posting here in hopes someone there reads this thread.

19. Crimson Witch

Thank you, Bevok. I will try that.

20. Stereosound

That’s all they said. All you can do is try it yourself and see what it can do. I haven’t bothered yet as I like to listen on shuffle so just plug the phone in and forget about it. Literally as I hate when I forget and have to go back to the car to get the phone. Hahaha.

21. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

I've tried this out, seems to work OK at first glance. To be clear it is your favourites available to stream in CarPlay, not the entire interface e.g. discovery.

22. Crimson Witch

Just got the second of two App updates in two days. The playback problems that started before the first of these updates and seemed to get worse after that update, have now after the second update gone away - there have been no playback problems at all (fingers crossed).

Thanks again to everyone that replied with suggestions. And thank you to the folks at Qobuz.

Bevok and Dave 81828384 like this.
  23. Stereosound

Bevok likes this.
  24. Stereosound

Mobile version now available (at least in the beta version so should be coming in the next public update).

25. Stereosound

Galley likes this.