“El Camino- A Breaking Bad Movie” From Creator Vince Gilligan*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No, it’s not all from the show. None of the conjecture about why Walt “left” her comes from the show. If I remember correctly, that’s from an interview of the actress who played Gretchen.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched El Camino for the second time and it was even better than the first time.
    The extras were interesting another +.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. We never got a detailed explanation in the show. I think you’re conflating the wiki, interviews with the show itself.

4. alexpop

Is Gray Matter Technologies going to be featured in BCS 6 I wonder ?

jlocke08 likes this.
  5. alexpop

Alaska?

Pinkman new location new series .. think History Of Violence

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. alexpop

Character wise, Pinkman and Saul Goodman are still alive ... any chance of a team up in Alaska ?

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sure, why not have Walt's death staged and Hank return as a robocop android so they can all be reunited in Anchorage. :rolleyes:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. alexpop

“Haines “ BTW !!!! :)

9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Sounds a little bit forced, plus Jimmy/Saul/Gene winds up in Omaha, probably at about the same time Jesse goes to Alasaka. Of course, who knows if "Gene" ends up moving to Alaska under yet another alias. Or maybe Kim, Lalo and Nacho also ....No, I better just shut myself up now.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Didn’t Saul get made in Omaha and called the hoover guy Robert foster/Ed. Lot of possibilities.. there’s Sneaky Pete /Badger?
    Alaska: Ed drops of Pinkman at a small town ( pop. Under 2000) called.. Haines.

11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Veech and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I would actually love to see a show set post-BCS/BB/EC with Jesse teaming up with Nacho Vargas, assuming Nacho survives BCS S6.

Their characters are slightly similar, but just different enough to make it interesting.

:pineapple: Oh that's very good news indeed!! :pineapple:

So we will hopefully get one more and final series set in Vince's BB/BCS world?

Hope it's set in modern times to make a multi-decade crime saga epic. There's so much material and characters they could draw from BB/BCS to do it.

alexpop and Veech like this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    MikeInFla likes this.
  15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Probably/maybe. I guess it depends on what he and Sony agree on.

16. alexpop

Milk it more as far as I’m concerned...

North to Alaska ... lol. :D

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

BCS, BB and X Files were all great concepts for Gilligan, and all had glimpses of genius mixed with problems in execution. I would like to see him take everything he's learned and put it all together in a flawless new show. He tackled organized crime and the paranormal, which command huge audiences, and then won me over with BCS on the merits of courtroom comedy alone and the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck, so what's next? The BB world and X-files world were taken farther than they should have been.

I think Gilligan should focus on his sweet spot of crime drama but with conspiratory overtones and shadowy figures that interact in compelling ways with a strong protagonist. I could do without so much humor and campiness, but there's no denying he's very good at it--particularly if he finds a lead as strong as Odenkirk. I just wish Sony would challenge him to come up with something fresh that can potentially surpass everything he's done up until now.

Veech likes this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Ummm, Breaking Bad is a flawless Show/Series, or as close to it as any other past Drama Series-IMO. My only criticism is that the Neo Nazis in the Final Season were not really worthy adversaries for Walter White, especially after he went up against Gus Fring. Although, the writing was still excellent in that Final Season(especially the Train Episode).

I found Better Call Saul a little boring the first few Seasons, but definitely has improved in recent Seasons ever since crossing over into Breaking Bad territory, and think there is potential for an Awesome Final Season, especially if we get a Great Conclusion to the Gene Storyline.

Whatever type of New Show/Series, that Gilligan decides to make, I anticipate will be excellent, as he has earned those high expectations, especially if BCS ends with a Great Final Season.

19. alexpop

Can’t wait for BCS last season to finish.. then watch the complete BCS first, followed BB, then El Camino.

vegafleet and Linger63 like this.
  20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'll be onboard with whatever Gilligan comes up with after BCS, be it a continuation of the Breaking Bad universe or something completely new. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the terms of his deal will require something BB related. Gus Fring backstory? Alaska? Endless possibilities, really.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

BB related “?
    Unquestionably. A no brainer. Alaska/ Bering Straits? Bring on the Russian cartel. :)

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The first seasons of BCS were well done. They built the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck, which was the most brilliant part of the show. After that and Jimmy's relationship with Kim, it's purely borrowed interest from BB.

Elements of BB were flawless, but some things about it were a mess. The writers struggled with character development at times--most notably when Jessie and Walt altered their roles in season 4. Jesse goes down Mexico and becomes a chemistry expert while Walt is marginalized. The writers got a bit too enamored with the word "kafkaesque" and came up with an entire episode where they chased a fly around the lab. Skyler would often break character. Fring is nonsensical in essence but there is enough with the cartel backstory to cover it up. These are minor criticisms, but with a bit more discipline in the writing the show could have been flawless.

I doubt Sony would constrict talent and content by requiring one of the premier show creators of our time to go back to a dry well like this. BCS had enough new content to greenlight it, but you had several key actors including Odenkirk and Banks appearing notably older in the prequel than they did in BB. What's going to happen in another borrowed interest production involving the same characters? This is getting ridiculous for everyone except die-hard BB enthusiasts who thought El Camino was some sort of great film. Gilligan needs to come up with something new that will appeal to more people than just die-hard BB fanboys.

23. alexpop

BCS season 6.
    Will WW be in it ... a cameo ..or Pinkman?

24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

When I rewatched BCS for the first time last year, I loved S1 but found S2 dragged considerably. S3 was great.

I agree the Jimmy / Chuck relationship was a big crux of the show and is missed after that, but they've added some interesting story wrinkles in S4-5.

Well, Jesse had been cooking for awhile by that point in the show? I don't really see that as a story hole. Walt is minimized and broken down slowly by Gus over the course of S4--which makes his win over Gus all the more exhilarating when it happens.

GMfan87' and alexpop like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I found the family dynamics between Chuck and Jimmy to be handled in an elevated way that was both true to life and paid off the backstory of Saul. As for the rest, it's not very interesting; just invented drama to mythologize BB. No characters or stories are advanced because of it. Lalo seems interesting at first, but he's just a Salamanca proxy for Mike to play off. It's fun to watch because it ties into an older show we enjoyed but doesn't move the needle at all.

Walt is supposed to be shrewd and strategic--supposedly brilliant--but rapidly lets Mike and Jesse outmaneuver him and shows himself to be incompetent and a liability to Gus? Sheer manipulation of the viewer for the sake of manipulation, forcing character breaks. Walt becomes a bumbling, broken man for no reason. Gus didn't want this--had recruited and paid millions to support Walt.

The writers also by this time had made Gus more respectable and easier to relate to than Walt--not an easy feat and probably unintentional. So when they killed off Gus in a finale better suited to The Terminator than anything we'd seen thus far in BB, I didn't feel exhilaration so much as manipulated by the shaggy dog story of Fring. He was the Keyser Soze of BB, but Keyser Soze kills all his enemies and gets away in Usual Suspects. There was a symmetry problem, an imbalance with the character arcs in BB. Again, it's a great show and just shy of genius, but the writing could have been more disciplined.

I saw similar problems in Gilligan's X-files.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.