Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

My Seagulls Allied DT manufacture carries pre-emphasis :) 90's IFPI

Yost and princesskiki like this.
  2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Dang. Which song?

3. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Rainbow Eyes.

kevin5brown likes this.
  4. kevin5brown

I re-eq'ed some of their other albums to match the songs on this set. Need to see if I used that song or not! :) Thanks!

Duke Fame likes this.
  5. earshot, Yost, jfeldt and 2 others like this.
  6. earshot

earshot Compact Disc Digital Audio

Mylene, patient_ot, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  7. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

Carpenters – Voice of the Heart
    A&M Records, Manufactured by Alfa Records
    Released on December 21, 1983
    Matrix: 38XB-4 11A3
    Carpenters – Voice Of The Heart (1983, CD)

I can provide cue sheets and AccurateRip logs upon request. :)

8. c-eling

Nice find!
    Not surprising, the early Denon 38C series all have it. Flag=SUBQ :)

Cuyler likes this.
  9. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I don't know how to check for pre emphasis, as it never shows up in Exact Audio Copy for known discs,
    but Gerry Rafferty - 'Night Owl' (CDP 7 46610 _ made in Japan for US)
    is uncomfortably bright sounding.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

An old pre-beta of EAC is needed to detect SUBQ flags.

Cuyler and Bertly like this.
  11. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

For me, when I use XLD (on Mac), it saves "FLAGS PRE" in the final CUE sheet on discs that EAC does not recognize as having pre-emphasis.

Yost and c-eling like this.
  12. kevin5brown

EAC 0.95 pre-beta 3 detects all PE flags.

13. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

That’s interesting. I’ve never looked very closely at the CUE sheets from XLD.

Cuyler likes this.
  14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

XLD will find all pre-emphasis flags wherever they are. And list them in the cue sheet. I use it all the time. But you have to change its default settings to create a cue sheet, iirc. It’s somewhere on the forum. :sweating:

Cuyler likes this.
  15. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

Yes! When I rip my discs for archival purposes, I always choose to rip them as a WAV, "Save as Single File + CUE." Then, if I want to make individual tracks (i.e. for iTunes or VLC or Audacity), I use XLD to convert and "Include pre-gap for all tracks." It's a great piece of software!

Yost likes this.
  16. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

For PC users, Cueripper detects pre-emphasis in the subcode as well as in the TOC. Discovered PE on a few of my BIS classical discs when dBpoweramp reported nothing.

Omnio and c-eling like this.
  17. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

INXS - INXSIVE (1988, Disctronics, Australia)
    Only official CD release of this comp. I'll check the CUE sheet when I get home to see where the flag is stored.

Yost and c-eling like this.
  18. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

You mean any version of that program is suitable for detecting pre-emphasis when sub-coded? I guess one would still need one of those ancient cd-roms to get the job done...:(

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

Right. Not all are compatible.

Omnio likes this.
  20. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I think I'm pretty much up to date with the Cuetools package (of which Cueripper is part) and I use a fairly new Pioneer CD/DVD/blu-ray USB drive for ripping. Not ancient by any stretch. Why should age (generation) of the CD-drive matter for detecting pre-emph? Or are you confusing this with the ability to read lead in/out sections of CD:s?

Omnio likes this.
  21. c-eling

No clue. I went through 3 drives, more recent one's that wouldn't detect SUBQ. My older one, early 2000's did.

22. Omnio

What is fairly new in your case? And your Pioneer can indeed detect both TOC and sub-coded pre-emphasis info?

23. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

It's a Pioneer BDR-XD05 and I bought it two years ago.

Just tested BIS CD-247, Carl Nielsen Symphony Nr.2. dBPoweramp does not detect pre-emphasis (as it should if the "flag" is in the TOC). Ripping the CD with the Pioneer drive and Cueripper 2.1.6 results in a cue file with "FLAGS PRE". So I figured it must get that info from the subcode. Which is unusual for BIS CD:s. Most that have pre-emphasis (and many do) have been detected by dBPoweramp through the TOC.

I know it was the same story with one more BIS CD. I thought it was BIS CD-237, Sibelius Symphony Nr. 6 etc., but now neither dBPoweramp nor Cueripper detects pre-emphasis. A quick listen to the CD on the computer doesn't reveal any obvious pre-emph and the de-emphed flac files sound dull. So I may have made a mistake with that one (or the drive is indeed not really trustworthy...).

24. Omnio

*Denon New Releases Classical Sampler 1985/1986 Made in Japan by Nippon Colombia Co. Ltd. (GES-9079) matrix GES-9079 1A2 58 (Sub-coded)

I got this cd on me right now and Iwanna give it a last shot with my current cd-rom. I just kinda got out of shape ripping pre-emph cds so how exactly I retrieve the info from this disc via EAC? I have that ancient version of this program that can detect sub-coded pre-emphasis, to boot. I gotta do it manually, as far as Ican remember...

c-eling likes this.