Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sunrises start closing in BC. Heard they’re really struggling. Major problems getting new releases, special orders, and restock of back catalogue.

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Hope not, though with everyone being told to stay close to home I imagine business has suffered.
    I haven’t been to my local Sunrise in a couple of months at least

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Unlike other provinces and government rules, the BC stores have been open for over a year.

I'm still getting most of what I want for a handful of new releases I seek out. All music stores have stock issues at the moment so other non- chain stores don't have a huge leg up. I still see 70% of what I think should be on the new rack.

Whenever I go to Sunrise, I still have to wait a minute or two outside for someone else to leave and it's a 10 person limit. I visited the 4 other Sunrises on the outskirts of Vancouver last year and it was never more than 3-4 people in them.

I'm not even sure Lindon Drugs is even trying with new releases other than the one-off ACDC sized promo pushing the new album.

4. Jethro B Good

Jethro B Good Senior Member

Coquitlam BC (Vancouver area) store is not too bad. Limited stock , but actually ok for jazz. Unfortunately staff either aren't happy to converse or have limited knowledge. I see potential though. Prefer Apollo music day to day.

5. DIDXDIDP

DIDXDIDP Well-Known Member

While shopping at Sunrise-Metrotown
    Some employees were chit-chatting with each other about how their Sunrise-Metrotown location makes $8,000 on any given friday itself
    and that Tsawwassen Mills location only makes $8,000 for an entire month

6. DIDXDIDP

Daryl M likes this.
  7. DIDXDIDP

Well, it seems as of July 8th, that the Sunrise Records website does not display the prices for many releases. The price is not even shown for items that are "In Stock",
    rendering ordering from the website impossible for those items

This surely is a hiccup in their system or their out of date, Windows 3.1 ordering system just went offline

8. DIDXDIDP

It seems the website is working again...

Someone from Sunrise probably frequents this thread

9. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was out to both Sunrise locations in town this weekend and neither had the new
    Rolling Stones or Little Steven live CD/DVD sets in stock.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Sunrise are stopping their loyalty program tomorrow so if you have any $$ saved up on the app you may want to go tomorrow and use it up. I think I only have $5 on there so not too concerned.

11. DIDXDIDP

Are you surprised or disappointed? These are $30+ MSRP titles. They won't be rushing those in any time soon, lol

Also, Sunrise also announced they are discontinuing their loyalty program and issued a one day notice to social media, lol

It's a sure sign this company is in or heading towards massive debt

Losing the loyalty program is usually the first thing a company does when they realize they are losing money

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Didn’t know they had a loyalty program.
    I try to buy at least one disc every time I visit, but that’s maybe 6 times a year so they’re not getting rich from me.

13. noname74

A year and a half of shut downs must have really hurt them…I hope they can survive as we are running out of brick and mortar CD options.

eelkiller likes this.
  14. noname74

They needed some time to get their logistics going again after the last shutdown and had the Stones about a week later.

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

We are sad to announce that effective this Friday, July 23, 2021 - will be shutting down Club Sunrise - our loyalty app and stamps program. While we know this will be disappointing to some customers, we feel that the Club has run its course and is no longer the best way we can offer value to our customers.

But fear not! Even though we are ending Club Sunrise, we have teamed up with our partners at Get In The Loop to bring our Club Sunrise members an exclusive offer as a token of our appreciation. We will have more information on this new offer by Friday, August 6 so keep an eye on your inbox!

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Was out to Sunrise Friday morning to pick up the new Billie Eilish CD and guess
    what - not in stock yet. The biggest release of the year. Incredible. The guy behind
    the counter could only shrug and shake his head. I walked out into the mall and
    pulled out my phone....

17. SoundAdvice

I think it happened with Gaga last year. I also noticed Walmart inside the Canadian mall had it in stock.

To be fair, LOTS of new vinyl at indie store has super wonky arrival time. Weekly shoppers just shrug and have a "it comes when it comes" attitudes.

Eilish may be a big streaming/vinyl release, but i doubt it lands anywhere near a top CD sellers of the year.

18. noname74

Masonville had piles of them when I was there today…there was probably a days delay or something. The record companies are as much of the problem as Sunrise is these days with their shipping issues.

19. DIDXDIDP

Billie was almost late nearly across the Canada. It did not help that it was a long weekend.

They are slowly trickling in this week it seems.

On a side. Over the weekend, I picked up some other CD that had a $19.99 sticker on it and they charged me $20.99 for it. (before the taxes)

There is a new sign at the cashier stating that they will not honor the price tag sticker if the price in "their computer system" shows a higher or different one. Ha!

Any other type of store would honor the price tag sticker. Why not at Sunrise? They used to. Are they really losing that $1 difference?

20. SoundAdvice

I think they are legally required to honor advertised price.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In Canada, they don't if it's a genuine pricing error.

22. DIDXDIDP

15% Off Anything In-Store
    Exclusive to Club Sunrise Members!

Until Sep 3, 2021

at Sunrise Records
    As a token of our appreciation, we want to give our loyal Club Sunrise members 15% off anything* in-store! Stop in and save on vinyl, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and more. We can't wait to see you!

Terms & Conditions : Limit 1 per person. Download "Get In The Loop" app

Download the GetintheLoop app for awesome exclusive offers, contests, and experiences, happening near you!

23. SoundAdvice

Only 1 item in the store? Can't grab a handful of items?

24. DIDXDIDP

I think it means that the 15% off code can only be used once (1 per customer)

Also, i downloaded "this app" to see if the offer is there and was not

Maybe tomorrow they will update it

25. noname74

That’s what I assumed it meant…it better mean that otherwise that’s a lame replacement for people that lost the savings they accumulated on their app.