Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I expected this signing. I think it was last week that Corny and Brian were discussing which major talent from WWE would jump ship over to AEW. The three big names mainly discussed were Daniel Bryan, Brock Lesner & CM Punk and they agreed that each star would jump ship in that order (with exception to Punk... going by his comments they think he will stay away from the wrestling ring). If Lesner went it would be for a ridiculous amount of money but I think he is one wrestler that Vince is willing to pay out for minimal returns.

My guess is WWE must have considered Bryan too old and damaged to continue investing in and that's partially true. I would be nervous about him going to a promotion like AEW where they don't really seem to care about the physical well being of their talent. Although I would imagine someone like Edge would be in the same condition but they are letting him continue to work.

I think the AEW signing that is more out of left field is Nick Gage. I watched his "Dark Side Of The Ring" episode and was not impressed. Now that you have him and Moxley in the AEW picture, it's looking more and more like they are moving towards garbage death match style wrestling. Unless you really love that style of wrestling I would be extremely concerned if you are an AEW fan. Can't wait to hear Corny bash the company on that signing this Saturday.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  3. MikeInFla

Yeah, that episode of Dark Side wasn't a great one, i don't even think I finished it. I believe Edge was almost headed to AEW and he resigned with WWE at the last minute. But since I no longer watch WWE or even pay attention to it I had no idea Bryan's contract was up... Or I guess I should say Bryan Danielson because more than likely that's the name he will use when he debuts.

Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

From what I could see from the episode, the only thing Gage knows how to do is throw people into dangerous objects and now know when to stop for his own and his opponent's safety. Just what AEW needs lol.

I don't watch the modern day product but with Bryan now signing with AEW, I'm starting to get the deja vu feeling of the 90's WWF/WCW Monday Night War. Say what you want about Bryan, his name still has an impact today and would be the equivalent of one of the many 90's WWF talent that jumped ship over to WCW at the time (not saying Bryan is in a Hogan league... maybe more of a Scott Hall level). We know that Tony Khan's pocketbook is endless so he will definitely be able to buy out more talent and WWE is vulnerable at this point. They are facing the exact same issues as they did in the 90's, time to start changing the direction of their product or face a continuing downward trajectory of viewers and their big league talent jumping ship. The main thing AEW needs to worry about is not having all of these talents slowly go to waste and not use them in the correct manner (similar to what WCW did).

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the extra show starting on tv in 3 weeks should help

is Gage signed or just doing this one match? he's friends with a bunch of these guys

6. Matthew Tate

get the guys working out hard and ready and in ring shape . 2022 we need fight for honor the American dragon vs cm punk vs the fallen angel 3 way dance loser must retire and the fallen angel gets pinned. make it happen please . I would mark out and cry

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

So far it only appears to be one match, and that could be to AEW's advantage. The guy is unstable and dangerous and should have no business being on television. It looks like he will be facing Chris Jericho in a "No Rules" match on Dynamite... when is there any rules in a modern day wrestling match LOL. I'm guessing this is all set up to see if Gage is willing to follow rules or be as reckless as he is in his death match promotions. If the pizza cutter comes out, I highly doubt TNT or TBS will be impressed and will take it out on Khan. This is a guy who refuses to listen to rules or requests, I fully expect it to be a short lived venture. I don't even thing someone like Jericho (who is way past his prime) can elevate a guy like this.

*EDIT* Well that didn't take long LOL. Update from Corny's Twitter feed:

Jim Cornette
    @TheJimCornette

·
    1h

To once and for all put an end to criminals and felons jumping into their ring on live TV,
    @AEW
    has arrived at a solution: BOOK a criminal and convicted felon to actually come to the ring and attempt to have a match! Genius!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

I am thinking this is just a favor to some of his friends in AEW and not a full time wrestler for the company. I’m guessing he will listen to Jericho and Kingston and moxley and a few other guys he’s friends with

JCRW likes this.
  9. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Tell that to David Arquette. I mean that guy is a few french fries short of a happy meal but when it came to his match with Gage he treated the guy to an expensive dinner and told him that nothing was off limits with exception to one thing: no touching the face. They verbally agreed to this and the following night the pizza cutter came out and Arquette got the Joker special. I would hope AEW forced Gage to sign a written contract with legal repercussions if he breaks the rules, even if it is for one match. All I can say is I wish Jericho the best, he has no idea what he's getting himself into especially at his age and physical condition.

SoCalWJS and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Jericho narrates the Dark Side of the Ring series.
    Of course he knows what Gage is about.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Funny did corny mention the criminal that works for WWE and holds a belt for them and had several offenses while working for WWE?

12. Matthew Tate

maybe because of his age Jericho can't be the tough guy anymore but I doubt Gage wants to try something with Kingston, Archer, Jake Hager, Anthony Ogogo , Brian Cage, Big Show, Mark Henry, etc around. Unless Gage brings a firearm I doubt he makes it out of the building under his own power if the wrestlers notice he goes off script against Jericho

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

He criticized Uso on the Drive Thru and mentioned he must be made of teflon to get away with what he did and win the tag team belts. Brian jokingly commented that putting the the tag team belts on the Uso's was punishment for WWE standards and that was end of discussion. To me it sounded like the didn't even want to give them the time of day for promoting the match.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It's great to see AEW making a dent and getting some of WWE's big names, but the problem is that too many younger wrestlers do not know how to tell a story with their matches. All they are worried about are high spots and pops from the crowd.

The best thing the AEW could do is let Bryan go back to wrestling in his old style, where he utilizes all of the moves in his arsenal. He could still do his high spots in matches, but employ more of that old school style.

Dugan, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I think I have mentioned this before, but you would think the veteran talent that AEW already had (Jericho, Cody Rhodes, Sting, Jake Roberts, Taz, Big Show, etc.) could be teaching the young talent how to work properly. So what's the big problem: are the veterans too lazy? Do they just not care? Are the young talent not paying their dues and learning the ropes before breaking into prime time? I think it's all of the above.

Are you sure Bryan can go back to his old wrestling style? He has just hit the 40 year old mark and is damaged goods, one wrong move and we could see him literally die on TV because of one bad hit to the head. I congratulate him for being able to obtain a Brock Lesner style contract (part time schedule with minimal travel for big $$$, creative control of his character, and being able to work in Japan). Dude is working his retirement run and I hope he makes it out alive.

16. MikeInFla

Agreed, Jake my be old but he has a mind for wrestling. A lot of those guys could teach them to tell great story lines. I think you're spot on with some of them breaking big before they are ready.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Can we go back to spelling Brian's name right again? Frankly I haven't seen the American Dragon in years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I am sure the vets try their best, but my guess would be that the young guys have been conditioned to wrestle a certain way, and I am sure the pops they hear from the crowd after doing a high spot have to be a bit intoxicating, so that makes it a high they can't resist chasing on a regular basis. Most fans nowadays don't want an old school match that is a slow burn. Remember those Flair/Steamboat matches from '89? Those could happen today and would probably get the "boring" chant from the WWE universe.

JCRW, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

What is the last "broadway" you can remember from WWE/F?

20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I get that viewpoint but at the same time I find the whole luchador, circus style wrestling that has been prominent the last 15 years extremely boring. You get the continuous no selling of big, high flying moves and then an underwhelming and/or botched ending that sells the matches short. There is definitely a middle ground between this new style and the old school style that Flair/Steamboat perfected. And you don't have to go too far to find examples: Bret and Owen Hart, Kurt Hennig, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Kurt Angle. All these guys were able to stay on the mat and be technical, get in a high impact move when it mattered and read and feed off the crowd reactions. Like Flair told Mick Foley, you don't have to go out night after night taking all those bumps and high spots and shorten your career. This statement could be reiterated over and over again to the new talent no matter what brand they are signed on to, and you think they would listen as all these guys have elevated Mr. Flair to a new level of legendary status.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

CM Punk to AEW.

I wonder if AJ joins too?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

wow really could be punk vs the American dragon vs the fallen angel fight for honor retirement match

23. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This one is a bigger game changer than Bryan. Even though Punk is 42, he hasn't received a major or career ending injury so he should not be on borrowed time like Bryan. He might actually be the thing that AEW needs, not only a big name added to their roster but to maybe start calling some of the other talent out for their immaturity. You would certainly need to take the title off of Omega and hand it over to Punk and let him ride with it for a good stretch of time, or else what's the point in signing the guy. I guess you have to wait and see if he has some ring rust, no doubts about his promos and mic abilities. Guy just needs to stay a lone wolf and away from the stupid factions plaguing the company.

24. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Mean Gene corpsing was always the best.

Matthew Tate likes this.