Kill Bill: Volume 1, Volume 2, The Whole Bloody Affair and Volume 3?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

Uma Thurman would work with Quentin Tarantino again 'if he wrote a great part'
    May 04, 2018 at 06:47 PM EDT

“We’ve had our fights over the years. When you know someone for as long as I’ve known him, 25 years of creative collaboration…yes, did we have some tragedies take place? Sure. But you can’t reduce that type of history and legacy,”

"...does that mean I don’t care about someone that I have 25 years of history with? No! My capacity to forgive exists and things happen. The accident itself was wrong, but…I tried to explain that it was the environment around it that wounded me the most.”

Thurman replies: “If he wrote a great part! I understand him and if he wrote a great part and we were both in the right place about it, that would be something else.”

Still, Thurman admits she doesn’t “necessarily foresee that” as the director “claims that he’s only going to make one more film and then retire.”

“I wouldn’t put it past him,” she says. “Depending on other things in his life [he could] do that.”

Carl80 likes this.
  2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Both countries dvds were NTSC so they were compatible if you could defeat the region coding. (By playing the dvd on a computer with appropriate software, instead of on a DVD player for example.) What was problematic is that the Japanese dvd of Kill Bill did not include English subtitles when characters are speaking Japanese - which happens a lot in this film. Still, back in the days of low-resolution, this dvd was a popular way of seeing the fight scene in color and seeing the Bride’s extra cruelty towards the accountant at the end.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Carl80 and JediJones like this.
  3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah that is abit of a pain toggling the subtitles but what can you do, I just like to have them in the collection.

JediJones likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've been told that Tarantino has shown kind of a "rough version" of Kill Bill Vols. 1 & 2 combined at his New Beverly Cinema (which is close to where I live and work in LA). I don't know what his hesitation is at not putting them together for a big home video/streaming release, or even a theatrical release, but I know he was terribly affected by the death of his editor Sally Menke back in 2010. She had been a huge part of all of his movies for the previous 20 years, and she would have had the clearest idea of anybody on how to put them together.

I think Tarantino has been using Menke's former assistant as his editor for the last few films, but I'm not sure what the status is at the moment. There's apparently quite a bit of material that wound up on the cutting room floor, so I would bet the combined version could potentially be 10-15 minutes longer than the two separate films combined. But I think whenever he's been asked about it in recent years, he kind of shrugs and says, "yeah, I'll get to that someday, but I've got other things to do first," and I get that.

Thurman was injured in a car crash scene in the movie, but they've since made up and Tarantino profusely apologized.

Tarantino responds to Uma Thurman crash claim: 'The biggest regret of my life'

I think in Hollywoo, time and money (lots of it) heals all wounds.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Love Uma, but you gotta laugh at her "25 years of history with" nonsense. Samuel L. Jackson could say that!

UT and QT made 2 movies together; one in 1994 and one in 2003. Stop.

It's been nearly 20 years since the last time he directed her.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And for a reason.

7. JediJones

They've both talked about being friends, so that history probably includes their personal as well as professional lives. They were seen in public a lot in 2014 and there were widespread rumors of a romantic relationship then in the tabloid press. They always play coy when asked about it. Uma said their "relationship is pretty much what it's always been" when asked at that time.

When there were rumors during Kill Bill, QT said:
    Addressing rumors that he and Uma have advanced their relationship past the friendship stage, Tarantino said, "I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had our life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way."

USATODAY.com - 'Lost' translates into party

8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I like both volumes equally. Your thread is the first I’ve heard of a new cut combing them. The article is interesting pointing out the details. But I’d have to see it to judge. I suspect it would just be a cool third way to see the films. Sounds interesting. Doesn’t sound like overturning the previous films more like adding what was cut and making the transition more see less. As well as some slight story changes. Would be a fun viewing. Bet it will come out in theaters someday

JediJones and Carl80 like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Longer cut extra footage please.
    Please take $$$$$$

10. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Now there is a UHD disc set just waiting to happen...let's hope it doesn't become like Cameron and "The Abyss" :D

C.

Vidiot, JediJones and Greenalishi like this.
  11. JediJones

I remember hearing about the "supercut" of Kill Bill 1 and 2 soon after they came out, and maybe contemplating I should buy the separate editions or wait. But the story really seems to have gotten forgotten over the last 5 years. My goal is to make this a prime issue again! I had never heard of the new 7 minutes of animation before, so that just makes it even more of a priority.

How did Cameron not get Abyss and True Lies done during the pandemic?

I found some recently posted in the last year, long press conferences for Kill Bill 2 with QT and Uma, posted from the Bobbie Wygant media archive. Haven't had time to watch them yet. An hour with QT and a half hour with Uma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaX0A3Lt7zE

omikron, Greenalishi and alexpop like this.
  12. JediJones

Some more info, partly gleaned from that press conference. The "Cannes edit" combining KB 1 and 2 was shown about a month after KB2 debuted in the U.S. It was described as including the "Japanese" version of KB1. QT said the Japanese version was too violent for most markets and only widely released in Japan and Hong Kong.

Both KB1 and 2 were shot at once, but editing did not begin on KB2 until after QT was done with the promotional tour for KB1. So it's not like he finished it as one complete movie and then split it in two. It sounds like he was never truly intent on releasing it as one movie. He would only have done that if he could've cut it down to under 3 hours, but he didn't have any desire to cut that much footage out. And he knew he couldn't release a movie longer than 3 hours to theaters.

So we should probably see parts 1 and 2 as the first cuts of the movie, and the Bloody Affair as a later "special edition." It's also debatable whether the American version of KB1 is "censored" or if the Japanese version is "enhanced." Or are they simply two alternate versions intended for two different markets? Was the Bloody Affair used as a way to get the Japanese version of KB1 shown to more people or is that QT's preferred version of KB1?

It still sounds like the new anime sequence described in 2009 has never made it into any released version of the movie.

From a 2004 e-mail from someone at Cannes:
    "Quentin Tarantino (and Lawrence Bender in the audience) has introduced Kill Bill the complete movie (japanese vol.1 with vol.2 together) the 05/23th for the audience of the Festival de Cannes. I was there, Quentin says first time ever the japane version of vol.1 is shown in another country and first time ever the 4 hour complete version is shown. Durind the screeening, we could hear the laugh of Quentin with the audience… L’integrale Kill Bill (the 4 hour version) will be release in 2005, confirmation. Some scenes has been cut, and some violent scenes are more longer."

Also, this YouTube video says it is 10 minutes from the Japanese version:

omikron and Greenalishi like this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I would have to see the edit of it as one film, but I think it works great as two. 1 ends on a great note with the revelation that Beatrix's daughter is still alive, and then 2 begins with Beatrix's proclamation that she is on her way to her final destination to kill Bill, and then we get the rewind all the way back to the day of the massacre of the wedding. Build up that suspense and then bring it back down to normal levels for a while. And the sequence with the Bride getting buried, followed by the flashback to her training where we see how she learned the move that would not only free her from the coffin, but an additional move, one that she would eventually use to defeat Bill, was just incredible storytelling.

omikron, Greenalishi and JediJones like this.
  14. JediJones

Interestingly, if you turn on closed captions in this video, you can see a translation of Pai Mei's Chinese that a user put in. It does not match the actual subtitles in the movie exactly. Chinese speakers in the comments say the "new" closed caption translation is mostly accurate. In the closed caption translation, Pai Mei makes a mention of the steps and motions his hand towards them. This hand motion makes no sense when reading the official translation in the movie's subtitles. The official subtitles also have him ask Beatrix a question here, then ask "cat got your tongue?" This seems to be a way of getting around the fact that in the unofficial, "new" closed captioning, he's not actually asking her a question, so she has no reason to respond, and the visuals reflect this.

A Chinese user in the comments says the "unofficial" closed caption translation of "how dare you ask me to be your master" is the only one he disagrees with, and says it should be "how dare you make direct eye-contact with me." This makes perfect sense with the visuals, as, from behind, you can see Beatrix tilt her head up to Pai Mei as he insults her, and then the camera cuts to Beatrix as she is averting and darting her eyes when he says not to make eye contact. Again, the movie's real subtitles don't fit with this visual as well. This is when he says "Japanese fat-heads." It does appear QT edited it with camera angles that make it hard to tell Beatrix made eye contact with Pai Mei, since he decided to not use the correct translation that mentions that.

Some people speculate the dialogue is supposed to be how Beatrix translates his speech in her head. I'm guessing it has a little more to do with Tarantino punching up the subtitles just to help the movie. The insults against the Japanese are much more colorful in the official subtitles than in the "correct" translation, for one thing. Maybe QT also thought it was a homage to old kung-fu movies to have incorrect subtitles.

Someone posted the translation in the comments that was put in the new closed captioning:

If the subtitles are to translate what the characters are speaking, they are pretty inaccurate.
    Here's my translation.

Beatrix: Master. (Chinese/Cantonese)
    Pai Mei: Your spoken Chinese is very poor. I can't understand one single word! And it grates on the ears.
    Pai Mei: You are not to speak unless I have taught you how to.
    Pai Mei: Is your spoken Chinese better, or your Cantonese?

Beatrix: I "speak Japanese" very well... (Chinese/English)
    Pai Mei: I am not asking about your Japanese, nor Mongolian language.
    Pai Mei: I am asking, can you speak Cantonese?

Beatrix: ...
    Pai Mei: You are here to learn the secrets of Wushu (martial arts), but not language.
    Pai Mei: If you cannot speak Chinese, you would be like a dog that barks around!
    Pai Mei: I will yell at you, order you, and hit you with a stick!

Pai Mei: Is your master Bill?
    Beatrix: Yes he is. (English)
    Pai Mei: Your master once said, you have learnt Wushu before. What have you learnt?
    Beatrix: I am proficient in Tiger-Crane Style. And I am more than proficient in the exquisite art of the Samurai sword. (English)

Pai Mei: Japanese Kendo (swordsmanship), what a joke this is!
    Pai Mei: Only the Japanese people are stupid enough to learn it. You are even more stupid.
    Pai Mei: How dare you ask me to be your master? [someone else says this should be "How dare you make direct eye-contact with me!"]

Pai Mei: It seems that your temper is quite easy to be tamed. Do you know how is my Kung Fu comparing to yours?
    Beatrix: No. (Chinese)
    Pai Mei: Are you aware I will kill people?
    Beatrix: Yes. (Cantonese)
    Pai Mei: So do you want to die?
    Beatrix: No! (Chinese)

Pai Mei: Idiot. A true idiot. I would love to see how idiotic you are.
    Pai Mei: Rise.

Pai Mei: Judging by your heavy breath, you should be feeling exhausted after climbing the hundred steps.
    Pai Mei: I think you are not only stupid, but also weak in physique.
    Pai Mei: True. You can speak Japanese. I hate Japanese the most!

---
    Notice that Pai Mei is always speaking in Cantonese (commonly used in Hong Kong, Guangdong province in China and by overseas Chinese), while Beatrix is speaking English and poor Chinese/Cantonese.

Pai Mei is not that vulgar (as the subtitles suggest). In actual Cantonese, he sounds arrogant, but also in a dignified way.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Greenalishi and omikron like this.
  15. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

One of the best things I ever did in my life was to wait and not see either KB until both were available on disc. Being able to cue up Vol 2 immediately upon completion of Vol 1 was such instant gratification. So I very much think of them as one movie split across two discs.

Claus LH and Greenalishi like this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I would love to see a Kill Bill Vol. 3 starring Maya Hawke.

JediJones likes this.
  17. JediJones

I wonder if the Bride would be killed off early on and Maya would need to get revenge? Would be sad but seems like that would make for a stronger story.

18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

This little girl could be the focus of a Kill Bill 3 as well. Kill Beatrix.

Revenge for watching what her mother had coming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jazzmonkie, Carl80 and Greenalishi like this.
  19. JediJones

Yeah, but there's also the Asian girl with the bola weapon. She had a twin sister in the original script who ends up attacking Kiddo in California in a Vietnam-style blitz. Tarantino said it would've been the only major sequence with guns in the movie. So that twin could be brought back for revenge also.

Carl80, omikron and Greenalishi like this.
  20. JediJones

This is some great footage of the stuntwomen working on Kill Bill 1. Not sure where it came from, but it's not on the DVDs as far as I know. Been on YouTube forever though.

alexpop and omikron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.